Which version of UFO's Strangers In The Night should I hear?

gunsfanoldie

Expanded or the original album version? Maybe there isn't much of a difference, but I've never heard the album and watching Michael Schenker and Kirk Hammett on That Metal Show and have been meaning to for awhile.

Just wondering if people think the original is the way the record should be heard for the first time or if the extra bonus tracks and different tracklist on the expanded actually works to its advantage. To me, it would be like if you switched up the order of KISS Alive, and I'd always say hear the original, but I don't know UFO so figured I'd ask some fan which hopefully exist here.

Anyone have a preference towards either? Or should I just shut up and listen to it already :P ! (by the way, I have heard it once all the way through but really want to give it a solid listen on great loud speakers this time).

To me, it's only 2 songs added and if you haven't grown up hearing it over and over, it's not really going to matter. People who bought KISS Alive on 8-track heard a whole other running order from the vinyl, so when it came out on CD, they were kind of thrown off by it (I looked up Strangers and the 8 track was the same as the album, but you had a lot of part 1/part 2 cutting up the songs).

To me, it's only 2 songs added and if you haven't grown up hearing it over and over, it's not really going to matter. People who bought KISS Alive on 8-track heard a whole other running order from the vinyl, so when it came out on CD, they were kind of thrown off by it (I looked up Strangers and the 8 track was the same as the album, but you had a lot of part 1/part 2 cutting up the songs).

Fair enough, and that was kind of my thoughts as well. I just know people cherish this album, and I get that cause I love classic live albums so I try to hear the versions most people have heard and grew up on. Another example I can think of is Frampton Comes Alive, which I didn't hear for years and then when I did I was strongly encouraged to hear the original, not the new rearranged tracklist. From what I've read, it seems if I've never heard UFO it won't matter, and the remaster with bonus tracks is better cause the sound is a superior upgrade and its got in between chatter so its more complete. Just wanted to see if any big UFO fans had a strong opinion, since I know I would be weird about a live album this way. I read people saying it was very weird to hear the one-two opening punch changed on that album, and I could totally understand picking up KISS Alive and being shocked that it didn't open with the one-two of Deuce and Strutter. Just trying to hear whatever people think is the most influential version, but I guess it all comes down to the music anyway.

I'd say the original. Having heard the expanded, the extra songs were left off for a reason.

So another for original. I downloaded them both so I'll wait for some more responses and then just delete whichever doesn't win, although after reading a few more websites its looking like I'll probably just go original.

Sound quality begin equal I would always go for the expanded edition as you get more songs so I don't see a downside. The only downside I see is if the expanded edition has been remastered and does not sound as good which seems to happen often these days with deluxe reissues.

I'd say the original. Having heard the expanded, the extra songs were left off for a reason.

So another for original. I downloaded them both so I'll wait for some more responses and then just delete whichever doesn't win, although after reading a few more websites its looking like I'll probably just go original.

For my money, the original starts off with such a bang, and keeps up the energy throughout, shining a light on the best aspects of a UFO live experience. A big reason for that is the way it flows and how good the performances are. I personally found that the extra songs almost disrupt or dilute that energy. On the other hand, the remaster if I'm not mistaken has been brought up to modern standards sound-wise.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1