UPROXX Mini-Documentary

axlweave

• 2 weeks later...

You did an interview for a mini-documentary by Guns ’N Roses biographer Marc Canter, who wants to reunite the band…

I didn’t, that’s the [thing]. I saw it. My manager sent it to me. That interview, I’m like, “What the hell’s that from?” It’s from a while ago, and I don’t know what the interview’s from. And Marc’s a dear friend, but he didn’t ask me if he could use that piece. (Laughs.) So there’s a little like, “Dude, I don’t know where that…I’m wearing a Von Dutch hat, so that’s gotta be like 2007” … So I don’t know. I don’t know what he’s doing, to be honest.

People picked up on Canter making the point of being the man who can make it happen, and that all it would take to reunite Axl Rose and Slash is getting them back in the dinky rehearsal space where they started.

Yeah. (Laughs.) I have no comment on that. That came out of left field for me. My manager sent me the link and I looked at it like, “What the hell?” Little weird. But Marc is a good guy. He’s been around forever, and if that’s what he thinks, it’s his thing.

www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6568226/duff-mckagan-how-to-be-a-man-and-other-illusions-book-fatherhood-guns-n-roses

Its hard to belive that Duff was not able to see that the clip was not about a plan to reunite the band.

I should have emailed him right when it came out to warn him that he may get asked questions about that clip. I'm not sure when he did that interview but I did email him last week about it and told him how the name of the clip was not something that I supported and that the working title was called GNR where it all started.

Really all he has to do when asked about it is let them know that the name of the clip was changed to stir up some shit and that its just a mini doc about Marc and his time with Slash and then GNR. Also the Duff clip that uproxx used for the doc was something uproxx got from my publisher which Duff signed off on back in 2007. I don't own it and don't control it.

I knew uproxx asked my publisher for those clips that the band members did but thought they were going to use the Slash one since my GNR story started with Slash 9 years before GNR got together. Either way it was cool that they used Duffs clip because Duffs sound bite fit in really well.

Steven saw it and understood what it was about. He reposted it on his Facebook and the title was "Check out Marc Canters Reckless Road" He texted me that it was beautiful

• Like 2

Its hard to belive that Duff was not able to see that the clip was not about a plan to reunite the band.

I should have emailed him right when it came out to warn him that he may get asked questions about that clip. I'm not sure when he did that interview but I did email him last week about it and told him how the name of the clip was not something that I supported and that the working title was called GNR where it all started.

Really all he has to do when asked about it is let them know that the name of the clip was changed to stir up some shit and that its just a mini doc about Marc and his time with Slash and then GNR. Also the Duff clip that uproxx used for the doc was something uproxx got from my publisher which Duff signed off on back in 2007. I don't own it and don't control it.

I knew uproxx asked my publisher for those clips that the band members did but thought they were going to use the Slash one since my GNR story started with Slash 9 years before GNR got together. Either way it was cool that they used Duffs clip because Duffs sound bite fit in really well.

Steven saw it and understood what it was about. He reposted it on his Facebook and the title was "Check out Marc Canters Reckless Road" He texted me that it was beautiful

No, you should correct the articles when they stated that YOU want to be the man who reunites them...

Which is clearly not really the case if we really look at your original comments

So a few emails to the magazines whom posted the false information wouldn't hurt, imho

Its weird that Duff said those things, the clip was about Marc and his time with GNR that how much Marc helped and what Marc did those days, I really liked the mini documentary, but its weird to see Duff saying those things, What was Slash's opinion on it if he has seen it?

Im not upset at Duff, just surprised that he didn't get what it was really about. Duff is preaty sharp, maybe because it tricked his manager into thinking it was about this plan to reunite the band that he believed that somehow thats what I was doing. Also he may have not known that I didn't put it together and it was done by Uproxx? Maybe he was told that I put it out?

I also emailed Slash a few days after it came out to also warn him that he may get asked about it and how to answer the questions and to set it straight. At the time he hadn't seen it but was already questioned about it in interviews. I still don't know if he has seen it yet and it doesn't matter. Slash has known me for 39 years and would clearly see what it was really about. He knows that the press twist things to try and make a story especially if there is a way to make it a topic on reunion. Slash also knows that I would not do something that dumb and make a doc about a plan to get the band back together. He knows how much that history means to me and why I do what I do and that I will never stop promoting it. Im sure if he ever does see it, that he will enjoy it and it would probabley be very emotional for him to watch.

Also Slash doesn't even watch his own docs, he just does things and moves on to the next never looking back.

As far as what I said in the ending, I still say it would work but only if they already worked out their differences first. I was talking about what it would take to get them to make music again but they cut out the part about them working out their differences first. The question they asked me was not out of line. Its the same question that is asked all the time by everyone I talk to and as you can see that question is asked to the band members too.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 4

and as you can see that question is asked to the band members too.

But that's obvious that they got those questions (cuz they were band members), while it's not too obvious that you got that question....

Anyway honest question: do you really think in your right mind that you could reunite these guys "if they worked out their differencies"?

With all due respect man (and i'm probably risking a warning point here) why they are need you if they can capable to work out their differencies on their own? have you some sort of secret holy grail for this or what?

Seems like you're way out of line now and you're over estimate yourself....

Your book was superb and i got nothing but good things to say about your work and your help with those early days, but you're just try to sell yourself at their expense now... (which is a fairly common thing in capitalism, but still not a classy move)

again, i apologise if i sound offensive, but that is the picture you're painting about yourself for people who follow this band closely and not blindly worship every move you make in the past couple of months

Edited by Strange Broue

Ok but if you didn´t support the name of the documentary. Was there something you could do change the name or force the people in charge to change it?

Did you watch the documentary before it was made public? I think if you didn´t give the thumbs up to some clips, title or whatever. The documentary should´ve never come the way it did

Producers can be sneaky, was any of it harmful or damaging though, and the amount of interviews Slash and Duff do, what time would they have to watch interviews? And how many of the interviewers ask "I HAVE to ask about Guns N' Roses". Really?

But just the feeling of being back in the same place they were at 30 years ago would be pretty intense, in a good way. They wouldn't even have to say much to each other.

Edited by dalsh327

But that's obvious that they got those questions (cuz they were band members), while it's not too obvious that you got that question....

Anyway honest question: do you really think in your right mind that you could reunite these guys "if they worked out their differencies"?

With all due respect man (and i'm probably risking a warning point here) why they are need you if they can capable to work out their differencies on their own? have you some sort of secret holy grail for this or what?

Your book was superb and i got nothing but good things to say about your work and your help with those early days, but you're just try to sell yourself at their expense now... (which is a fairly common thing in capitalism, but still not a classy move)

again, i apologise if i sound offensive, but that is the picture you're painting about yourself for people who follow this band closely and not blindly worship every move you make in the past couple of months

No I din't think at thisw point in time when Axl no longer trusts me that I can reunite them, however there was a time where I could have helped up until 2007. What I said was if they can work out their differences the best place for them to get anything new out of them would be to come to a space where they can just jam together in the same room and build on eachothers ideas like they used to back in 1985/1986. I don't really believe in the pass a demo around and see what you can add to it thing.

When Axl called me in 1996 and told me that Slash and Izzy are back and that they may work something out. I told him the very same thing, go in a room with the rest of the guys and don't come out until you have a record. Why would I think differently now?

That doc just tells the story of me and my time with Slash and then gnr. It also showcases Reckless Road and it was a cool story and will help fans find out about Reckless Road that don't already know about it. For the people that already know about it, its still cool to see the way it was put together with the photos and footage. I think they still did a good job except for the the way they named it and a bit they cut out about working out their differences first. By the way the guy that directed it also didn't like the way they marketed it. Now that you know what it is really about, watch it again pretending it was called GNR where it all started.

I'm very proud of the doc but I think uproxx didn't have a lot of class to market it the way they did. At some point I will probably make one with the real name for my website.

• Like 2

Ok but if you didn´t support the name of the documentary. Was there something you could do change the name or force the people in charge to change it?

Did you watch the documentary before it was made public? I think if you didn´t give the thumbs up to some clips, title or whatever. The documentary should´ve never come the way it did

I already asked them to change the name. They didn't get back to me yet. I did see it before it aired but the ending was filmed behind Canter's as a test to see what it would look like talking about where they used to write together. The plan was if they liked it, it was going to be refilmed at Gardner studio behind Guitar Center. They did like it and when we went to reshoot it, they really didn't like the way the Gardner studio looked like now. So we decided to go back the Selma and Highland where Axl and Slash first played together and see what come from that. All I know is they said I did great and then it came out with the new ending. I was not so thrilled with the ending or the name but still happy the rest looked great.

Edited by recklessroad

To be honest, I watched the first Doc and loved it, I never looked at the title. Seeing it now, it should

have been changed to what you said Marc. While watching it I never got the impression that YOU

are the one to get the band back together, I saw it as you believing that if they were ready to reunite

this would be the best way to do it.

Edited by 31illusions

I already asked them to change the name. They didn't get back to me yet. I did see it before it aired but the ending was filmed behind Canter's as a test to see what it would look like talking about where they used to write together. The plan was if they liked it, it was going to be refilmed at Gardner studio behind Guitar Center. They did like it and when we went to reshoot it, they really didn't like the way the Gardner studio looked like now. So we decided to go back the Selma and Highland where Axl and Slash first played together and see what come from that. All I know is they said I did great and then it came out with the new ending. I was not so thrilled with the ending or the name but still happy the rest looked great.

I know you have the best intentions. And whatever misunderstanding there was between you and Duff can be fixed with a phone call or email. But what about Axl? I don´t know if you still care about repairing your friendship with him. But if you do my advice is for you to stay away from projects that may create controversy and only add more fuel to the fire.

I know you have the best intentions. And whatever misunderstanding there was between you and Duff can be fixed with a phone call or email. But what about Axl? I don´t know if you still care about repairing your friendship with him. But if you do my advice is for you to stay away from projects that may create controversy and only add more fuel to the fire.

History cannot be changed, Marc was part of that history, so no one is adding fuel to the fire, Marc is doing it for the fans, Marc is not talking bad things about anyone, he is just sharing the things which he did back in the days, so really thank you for Marc for putting an amazing book like Reckless Road and sharing so many things with us one on one

• Like 1

You cannot expect Marc to second guess himself just because he might do something which could potentially offend W. Axl Rose.

Liked the doc - keep up the good work Marc.

History cannot be changed, Marc was part of that history, so no one is adding fuel to the fire, Marc is doing it for the fans, Marc is not talking bad things about anyone, he is just sharing the things which he did back in the days, so really thank you for Marc for putting an amazing book like Reckless Road and sharing so many things with us one on one

The question is to what extend the band cares about that history. They are no longer five 20 something wild kids dreaming about being signed by a record company.

Now they have their own lives and their own bands. I love the book, the documentary and I wish we could have a reunion. Hell! I wish 1994 would´ve been a lot different. But unfortunately things went wrong for them and for us. And I really don´t think that an interview with Tom Zutaut and Barbi Von Grief is gonna change anything because Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven don´t give a shit about all that anymore

The question is to what extend the band cares about that history. They are no longer five 20 something wild kids dreaming about being signed by a record company.

Now they have their own lives and their own bands. I love the book, the documentary and I wish we could have a reunion. Hell! I wish 1994 would´ve been a lot different. But unfortunately things went wrong for them and for us. And I really don´t think that an interview with Tom Zutaut and Barbi Von Grief is gonna change anything because Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven don´t give a shit about all that anymore

Everyone of them has moved forward and me, you or anyone cannot make a reunion happen, its just in the hand of those 5 guys, if 5 of them sit and sort things out and clear all the misunderstandings then it is possible, Marc, Tom, Vicky, Barbi, Pam etc etc knew those guys and helped them in those times and were like a family, even they cannot make a reunion happen, but if they are sharing things from that time as they were a part of it, then its nothing wrong in that as some people are complaining.

News/Press like to twist things so the other person gets a bad feeling about the other, but well I guess one should be mature enough to see and understand that what Marc said and did in the Documentary and it wasnt wrong, As a friend Marc cares about Axl and Slash, what Axl and Slash do in their lives Marc cannot do anything about it.

If the press likes to twist things around. And we all end up with bad feelings or some misunderstanding then we are all better off without interviews, books, documentaries,etc. That´s how I see it

No I din't think at thisw point in time when Axl no longer trusts me that I can reunite them, however there was a time where I could have helped up until 2007. What I said was if they can work out their differences the best place for them to get anything new out of them would be to come to a space where they can just jam together in the same room and build on eachothers ideas like they used to back in 1985/1986. I don't really believe in the pass a demo around and see what you can add to it thing.

When Axl called me in 1996 and told me that Slash and Izzy are back and that they may work something out. I told him the very same thing, go in a room with the rest of the guys and don't come out until you have a record. Why would I think differently now?

That doc just tells the story of me and my time with Slash and then gnr. It also showcases Reckless Road and it was a cool story and will help fans find out about Reckless Road that don't already know about it. For the people that already know about it, its still cool to see the way it was put together with the photos and footage. I think they still did a good job except for the the way they named it and a bit they cut out about working out their differences first. By the way the guy that directed it also didn't like the way they marketed it. Now that you know what it is really about, watch it again pretending it was called GNR where it all started.

I'm very proud of the doc but I think uproxx didn't have a lot of class to market it the way they did. At some point I will probably make one with the real name for my website.

Thanks for the answer

Marc, there are clips from your filming in those mini documentaries and they look great! as you know we fans have some of those shows on video......would it be possible at some point to get an quality upgrade from one of the circulating shows (complete)?