Suicide Squad/Jared Leto as the Joker Thread

It's not TERRIBLE. Well, (several) parts of it are, but by virtue of it not running 9 hours like every other fucking super hero movie I am inclined to cut it some slack. Robbie is legitimately terrific, although granted it's a nifty role. Leto is not at all terrific but he's also thankfully not in the movie that much. Basically the Squad stuff mostly works but the villain is so unforgivably lame (and miscast) that it's ultimately a great big misfire. But points for being the first of the DC movies to not be actively tedious. 

Edited by Angelica

7 hours ago, Angelica said:

It's not TERRIBLE. Well, (several) parts of it are, but by virtue of it not running 9 hours like every other fucking super hero movie I am inclined to cut it some slack. Robbie is legitimately terrific, although granted it's a nifty role. Leto is not at all terrific but he's also thankfully not in the movie that much. Basically the Squad stuff mostly works but the villain is so unforgivably lame (and miscast) that it's ultimately a great big misfire. But points for being the first of the DC movies to not be actively tedious. 

Saw it last night and you really nailed it. Act One, as you might expect, a bit of a mess. But then it comes together. First and foremost, Margot Robbie owns Harley as much as Downey owns Iron Man, Hemsworth owns Thor, etc. A perfect performance by all measures, mesmerizing. Killer Croc also a highlight. Leto's Joker pretty bad all around but as you say his role surprisingly limited. It would suck for anyone to play the role after Ledger, but no comparison and that's being kind. Villian the other biggest weakness for sure 

But got to say, and it's in part due to low expectations, by the end I came out loving the flick. Overall, well acted and a hell of a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

So I watched the movie and I liked it, it is way better than Batman V. Superman. 

Jared was pretty disappointing to be honest, he reminded me of Jim Carrey somehow. 

But over all the movie was good, it did not bore me like Batman V. Superman nor it was so long.

I would give it 7 or 7.5 out of 10

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

So, what was wrong with Leto? I haven't seen the film, but everyone seems to say that Leto was poor, but don't expand on why.

It just din't feel right, its hard to explain. When are you watching the movie?

9 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

It just din't feel right, its hard to explain. When are you watching the movie?

It'll be a while, I think. It's not really my kind of things, to be honest, and all of these superhero movies all seem to blend into each other and have worn me out.

Just now, PappyTron said:

It'll be a while, I think. It's not really my kind of things, to be honest, and all of these superhero movies all seem to blend into each other and have worn me out.

True, but I always look forward to super hero movies, so I go and watch them. 

I hope you take the last seat in the cinema hall cause you are like 7 feet tall and if you sit in the middle or front then the people behind you won't be able to see anything.

12 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

True, but I always look forward to super hero movies, so I go and watch them. 

I hope you take the last seat in the cinema hall cause you are like 7 feet tall and if you sit in the middle or front then the people behind you won't be able to see anything.

This is how I roll when I go to the cinema:

tumblr_o04pvgvrWR1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PappyTron said:

So, what was wrong with Leto? I haven't seen the film, but everyone seems to say that Leto was poor, but don't expand on why.

He was very pretentious in his performance and the film doesn't leave room to show the definitions of the Joker, so you're just left with him sort of entertaining himself. He cackles, he croons, he waves his hands and gestures emphatically and he tries to look scary. 

The film failed him and he failed the film.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PappyTron said:

He tries to hard to sell CRAZY and without any nuance. Literally the opposite of how Robbie handles Harley Quinn. Forget Ledger and Nicholson, Jim Carrey brought more to the table in Batman Forever. 

Also, Will Smith is fine. It's weird to see him be part of a genuine ensemble. The storyline would still be inherently daft, but it would've been hells more effective if Viola Davis had played Enchantress. 

Edited by Angelica

38 minutes ago, Angelica said:

He tries to hard to sell CRAZY and without any nuance. Literally the opposite of how Robbie handles Harley Quinn. Forget Ledger and Nicholson, Jim Carrey brought more to the table in Batman Forever. 

Also, Will Smith is fine. It's weird to see him be part of a genuine ensemble. The storyline would still be inherently daft, but it would've been hells more effective if Viola Davis had played Enchantress. 

Worse than Jim Carrey? Yikes. Cesar Romero will always be my favourite Joker, at the risk of sounding like a Hipster.

I watched it tonight and thought it was really well done. It's easily the best film in the new DCEU.

As for Leto, well his portrayal of The Joker was good but nothing to write home about. Nicholson and Ledger were both better.

I think the reason why so many people have negative views on his performance is because of how Leto and the media have been shoving his method acting down our throats.

38 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Enjoyed it, some whacky stuff going on there. But it mostly worked.

Will and Robbie were the best part.

Yep and their relationship worked.

Viola Davis' Amanda Waller was also fantastic. Loved the "Give me your worst bitch" or whatever that line was to Enchantress. 

Leto's Joker not as bad seeing it the 2nd time and they edited out a lot of stuff that might've rounded out the portrayal more. But still far from the highlight the Joker should be.

Edited by Turn_It_Up
Added a few points