Slash mentioned in 'Dangerous' book by Susan Fast

BetterDay7

This is really info for those who just have to have everything that Slash is involved in or mentioned in...

His work is referred to in the book Michael Jackson's Dangerous (2014) from Bloomsbury by Professor Susan Fast. It's a very academic book - not a light read. Slash is greatly praised and is namechecked a few times.

The mentions are fairly brief but, like I say, if you are Slashtastic and have to collect everything it is cheap to buy online.

:slash:

Notes from Dangerous by Susan Fast, Prof in the Department of English and Cultural Studies at McMaster University, Canada

Okay - here goes...

Unfortunately the book has no index which means I’ve had to flick through it, backwards and forwards. Hope I not missed anything.

· Give Into Me. Page 116: “…Slash’s virtuoso and unbridled guitar solo. Slash was a brilliant choice for this song because his style of guitar playing favours emotional excess – that’s a compliment – over clean, crisp technique.”

· Page 123: section about 1991 MTV video awards. Talks about Will You Be There? and Black or White. Section about slash’s performance, why he’s "left to kick a trashcan off the stage and to drive his guitar into the car at the end of the performance."Also describes Slash's “virtuosic exhibition” and “extravagant display”. Some discussion about why Slash can get away with rock ‘n’ roll rebellion when MJ can’t.

· There are about four pages on Give Into Me as a whole.

· Guns n’ Roses mentioned in a fairly short discussion of power ballads on page 114. Sweet Child is mentioned. Discusses how GITM differs from usual 'metal' power ballads.

· Video for Give Into Me discussed on page 122. “This also gave him the opportunity to feature Slash in the video, which, given that Guns and Roses were, if not quite at their peak, then still pretty significantly at the height of their popularity, lent Jackson considerable credibility with an audience that otherwise probably didn’t listen to his music.”

Think that's about it.

Edited by BetterDay7

Found this bit too:

"He [Jackson] offered up the table of gritty funk and gospel, punctuated by a dripping metal ballad,

with one of the great, emotionally unbridled guitar players, Slash, in tow: no return to the crisp cheerfulness

of Eddie Van Halen here." (page 4)