Here is part 2 of the uproxx mimi doc with Tom Zutaut

This is awesome! I have never heard this story before. I still remember the first time I heard Guns n' Roses. My friends and I were on our way to Six Flags in St. Louis from Illinois on a church youth trip, and one of the boys told me to listen to this cool new band on his ghetto blaster. He played Paradise City for me and that was the end. I became a huge Guns n' Roses fan from that day, forward!

The part about John Malone "never" playing Guns N' Roses is new. He didn't even mention John Cannelli.

Direct quote from Axl, 1999:
"I was trying to get Tom Zutaut, at the time [at Geffen], to sign Jane's Addiction, and he was actually in negotiations to sign them at one point. I was just into Jane's Addiction. At the time... when we first put out "Appetite," it didn't go over so well, and MTV and John Cannelli there are really what broke us."

At least they named it what it was. For mine it was called guns n roses where it all started. At the 11th hour their marketing dept. decided to stir up some shit and name it as if it was about my plan to get them back together again using one sound bite at the end after cutting out what i said before that. It was just going to be a cool story about me and my time with slash and then gnr. I love what they did but hate how they named it. It gets people's hopes up for what most likely won't happen.

Edited by recklessroad

Hi,

One thing I've noticed watching Tom Zutat speak over the years is that it seems his story of how great he knew Guns was going to be grows more emphatic as time passes. It started as I thought they had a chance to be bigger than Motley Crue to bigger than anyone except Zepplin and the Stones and now in this mini-doc he says he told David Geffen they would be bigger than the Stones and Zepplin combined. I enjoyed the video though and the story about the MTV video was cool... i'd never heard the part about the phone lines before. Thanks.

At least they named it what it was. For mine it was called guns n roses where it all started. At the 11th hour their marketing dept. decided to stir up some shit and name it as if it was about my plan to get them back together again using one sound bite at the end after cutting out what i said before that. It was just going to be a cool story about me and my time with slash and then gnr. I love what they did but hate how they named it. It gets people's hopes up for what most likely won't happen.

That's why I made that question in the other thread ...

Some people's blood will boil because of that name :lol:

Zutaut loves his over the top descriptions, don't he?

I think of classic Guns as combining the best elements of Zep and Stones. Illusions evolved to include Elton and Queen. CD continued to evolve coppling in NIN and Floyd.

I think of classic Guns as combining the best elements of Zep and Stones. Illusions evolved to include Elton and Queen. CD continued to evolve coppling in NIN and Floyd.

But in Zutaut fantasy land, they were better than all those combined.

Maybe it's a positive thing he thought that when he first heard them. (if he's being honest of course)

Zutaut was instrumental in the success of Gn'R. I didn't mind his over the top (imo) description of what Gn'R could be in this clip.

Also: remember he had to sell the band and the idea to a man that probably only cared about money cause he's a business man.

Edited by Rovim

No fantasy land. I think GN´R at the time was better than Zeppeling and Stones combined. I like the Stones. Don´t like Zep that much. GN´R is my all time favorite band. Zep and Stones are much more legendary bands and without them maybe we would´ve never had GN´R. Maybe it´s a matter of personal taste and opinions

No fantasy land. I think GN´R at the time was better than Zeppeling and Stones combined. I like the Stones. Don´t like Zep that much. GN´R is my all time favorite band. Zep and Stones are much more legendary bands and without them maybe we would´ve never had GN´R. Maybe it´s a matter of personal taste and opinions

Guns was never better then Zeppelin or The Stones on their own, let alone combined.

Guns was never better then Zeppelin or The Stones on their own, let alone combined.

It was for me. That doesn´t mean it has to be for everyone else

It was for me. That doesn´t mean it has to be for everyone else

That goes without saying like I didn't mean my opinion meant shit. Let's just say you're in the minority there.

But they were the biggest fish in a much smaller pond as far as eras are concerned. There was Guns, U2, Metallica and who else?

But they were the biggest fish in a much smaller pond as far as eras are concerned. There was Guns, U2, Metallica and who else?

Yeah, but just the comparison is ludicrous. Guns just didn't do as much great shit as either The Stones or Led Zeppelin. It didn't have the influence, the scale of the sucsess and art itself, or the originality those bands had.

Padme said Guns were better compared to both those bands combined.

Edited by Rovim

I think if MTV would have been around in 1970 Zeppelin and the Stones would have been 30 times bigger than they were. Knowing how big bands could get in 1986 because of all the new marketing avenues is probabley why Tom said that.

Edited by recklessroad