Tom Zutaut and How Guns N’ Roses Broke MTV (Part 2 of UPROXX's documentary)

He summed it up well! They captured Rock n roll for 5 years, it was a last gasp breath for the era of genre. The fact that it didn't last is ok. That era was incredible despite it being over so soon. I think a band can over stay their welcome. GNR came in and shook up music for the brief period.

I agree I would love if they were still friends, but then again I'm just glad gnr happened in the first place.

• Like 1

Zoots is great. He was the Azoff of Appetite.

I had read many times before. That Tom was the one that did all this too get the band heard but it was really cool too here him saying it. he he not speaking like he is trying too make a buck. He is speaking as a true music fan. Thank you Tom!!

It really is amazing to think that Appetite and GN'R could have died and not turned into the phenomenon it became. Crazy as hell that so many of the executives didn't want to acknowledge the band's talent. God bless Zutaut for fighting his ass off.

I was born in 1985 and only discovered them 15 years later. Had the record company gotten their way, GN'R would have been just another anonymous rock band that I likely never would have been exposed to. That's a scary thought as they are one of my top 2 bands with Zeppelin.

Actually you know all this, but hearing it that detailed is just so... this band was almost over before they even get started... I mean, they wrote rock history but nobody was capable to realize it at the time.

Yep. Reminds me of the 1986 acoustic performance of "Don't Cry" (http://tinyurl.com/qg6k86s) where the audience ignores them and talks over them. Band still gives a phenomenal performance, especially Axl. 5 years later that song was Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Zutaut and Canter were some of the only people back then that realized just how talented this band was. And thank God for both of them or the rest of the world might not be so lucky to have the GN'R material we do today.

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I thought I saw this video when it came out, but that sucks to have someone at the label wanting to see GNR fail. For some reason I remember the late 80s having a lot of bands being dropped from record labels but have no idea why.

Like I said. The guys in suits are the true thugs of the music industry.

what scares me is the bands I would love that I have not heard because they fell victim to the circumstance that GNR was able to avoid and broke up prematurely.

There are alot of bands that I like who I feel are criminally underrated. I am sure there are plenty who are even more talented who I never got a shot to hear.

• Like 2

Surely though Jungle, SCOM, PC would come through eventually. I mean if they quit trying maybe, stopped touring or something.

Wonder what would happen if they didnt sell all those records.

Probably better for them in the long run as their career may have came to resemble a constant gradual ascendant growth and not the instant bonanza which actually transpired. They may not have imploded, maintaining the integrity of their line-up? More albums? Axl's ego may have remained dormant for at least awhile longer? We would probably have been spared the cheesy videos? The drugs and alcohol intake may have remained at acceptable levels for awhile longer?

Stradlin sums what actually happened best,

Once you made that money it costs more now

It might cost a lot more than you'd think

I just found a million dollars

That someone forgot

It's days like this that push me o'er the brinks

''I just found a million dollars that someone forgot''. That sums it up really. Most bands - and this includes the major bands like the Stones and Beatles - have a more gradual curve of success.

Edited by DieselDaisy