The Witcher III

Figured it's time for W3 to get it's own thread, rather than having discussion in the RPG thread.

New, interesting article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/29/ending-the-witcher-3-with-a-bang-ign-first

Geralt “has reached the end of his journey,” but this doesn’t mean it’s the end of The Witcher universe in video games. “The Witcher universe is a very big place with a lot of NPCs, a lot of characters, a lot of places we haven’t shown yet,” Szamałek said. “So, we might return to it at some point…but we think that this is a good place to let Geralt enjoy his retirement and try something new."

That would be cool.

So they talk about a big finale for W3........ Geralt's death maybe? I think he dies in the books, and the games are actually supposed to take place right after the books if I remember correctly, hence the whole resurrection/"Geralt was dead" stuff throughout Witcher 1 and 2.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured it's time for W3 to get it's own thread, rather than having discussion in the RPG thread.

New, interesting article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/29/ending-the-witcher-3-with-a-bang-ign-first

Geralt “has reached the end of his journey,” but this doesn’t mean it’s the end of The Witcher universe in video games. “The Witcher universe is a very big place with a lot of NPCs, a lot of characters, a lot of places we haven’t shown yet,” Szamałek said. “So, we might return to it at some point…but we think that this is a good place to let Geralt enjoy his retirement and try something new."

That would be cool.

So they talk about a big finale for W3........ Geralt's death maybe? I think he dies in the books, and the games are actually supposed to take place right after the books if I remember correctly, hence the whole resurrection/"Geralt was dead" stuff throughout Witcher 1 and 2.

witcher books spoilers

yeah the witcher 1 and 2 take place after the books.he and yennefer die in the books but are taken to some kind of different world(avallach, cedric talks about going there when he dies in witcher 2) with the help of ciri where he and yennefer can be together. the leading theory is CDPR will bend the game and book story together with the wild hunt taking yennefer from this world/dimension. geralt(presumably) with the help of ciri or some kind of other help will bring geralt back to the real world. this is where geralt goes after the wild hunt trading his soul to let yennefer and the other witchers go. yennefer and geralt end up with amnesia since that is a side effect of being too close to the hunt. this is the leading theory anyway the books take a lot of twists and turns.

ciri has strong ties to the wild hunt, i dont want to give much away since it will probably be unveiled in the game but ciri and the wild hunt are very close and are in connection with ciri and her powers.

i also dont think geralt will die, CDPR has said in future games we might run into geralt again, im thinking a created witcher and geralt will be some kind of mentor or something.

all i know is this game has me pumped up like no game in a very long time.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Order placed! EVGA 970, decided to use PayPal credit for the first time, so I could get the "upper tier" version of EVGA's 970 with a bit of stock OC and some better cooling. I guess technically this post is more for the PC thread, but I was also thinking....

It's going to be super cool seeing everyone play the game from release, and documenting how our stories are going here - I'd have to assume we could end up having wildly different plot lines which should be interesting to see.

EDIT: Sort of annoying though.... all 970's (any manufacturer) now come with W3 for free.....

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

awesome card. i cant wait for the game and see how vastly different everyones world will be and how it evolves over time. im also interest in gwent it looks really fun.

Yeah I heard EVGA's customer service is awesome, so that was a factor too.

I haven't seen much on Gwent..... I hope it's better than dice from the second game (only played quest related dice games), I don't think I even played the mini game in the first one, I guess it was dice too.... or maybe cards? Don't recall.

Edited by OmarBradley

awesome card. i cant wait for the game and see how vastly different everyones world will be and how it evolves over time. im also interest in gwent it looks really fun.

Yeah I heard EVGA's customer service is awesome, so that was a factor too.

I haven't seen much on Gwent..... I hope it's better than dice from the second game (only played quest related dice games), I don't think I even played the mini game in the first one, I guess it was dice too.... or maybe cards? Don't recall.

it was dice poker in the first one, gwent is like hearthstone apparently(never played hearthstone so not 100% sure)

here is a video showing some gameplay. i guess you can find cards in the world or you can buy them from vendors and in game in the cities they hold huge tournaments, sounds like fun.

Shoot just thought of something. Do you know if W3 is going to have us load the old data from W2/how important that will be?

I don't have W2 installed on this new HD, and unless Steam kept the data, it's gone. I remember it being not that major in W2 (in terms of loading W1 data).

Edited by OmarBradley

Shoot just thought of something. Do you know if W3 is going to have us load the old data from W2/how important that will be?

I don't have W2 installed on this new HD, and unless Steam kept the data, it's gone. I remember it being not that major in W2 (in terms of loading W1 data).

yeah you can import your save from the witcher 2

im kind of in the same boat i have my witcher 2 data on another PC which i gave to my brother. the console version is going to allow you to create a world state by having geralt have a conversation with a NPC somewhere in the world about the adventures of geralt, your answers will set up the world state for the game. i dont know if this is coming to the PC or not, it would be cool if it did. i hope that is like dragon age inquisition which led to some cool stuff if you did the choices on the website.

The funny thing is, I was going to rename this the Omar and Bran thread for jokes, but then thought better of it in case someone other than you two decided to post.

Anyway, looks like a great game. Not a RPG player but still looks like something I might enjoy.

• Like 1

The funny thing is, I was going to rename this the Omar and Bran thread for jokes, but then thought better of it in case someone other than you two decided to post.

Anyway, looks like a great game. Not a RPG player but still looks like something I might enjoy.

others will eventually see the light.

im kind of in the same boat i have my witcher 2 data on another PC which i gave to my brother. the console version is going to allow you to create a world state by having geralt have a conversation with a NPC somewhere in the world about the adventures of geralt, your answers will set up the world state for the game. i dont know if this is coming to the PC or not, it would be cool if it did. i hope that is like dragon age inquisition which led to some cool stuff if you did the choices on the website.

Hm, so you're saying I have 16 days to replay W2? Challenge accepted.

EDIT: Yeah, from what I'm reading, the conversation thing is only for consoles.

Think of it like the Jewish holiday, Passover. We leave the door open so that the savior can return at his leisure after he is done wandering in poverty. In this case, that savior is Pappy.

(I think I remember bran and Pappy discussing the Witcher back when video games was one thread, right?).

Edited by OmarBradley

Hm, so you're saying I have 16 days to replay W2? Challenge accepted.

EDIT: Yeah, from what I'm reading, the conversation thing is only for consoles.

Think of it like the Jewish holiday, Passover. We leave the door open so that the savior can return at his leisure after he is done wandering in poverty. In this case, that savior is Pappy.

(I think I remember bran and Pappy discussing the Witcher back when video games was one thread, right?).

yeah pappy was a big witcher fan. he needs to comeback and be the third wheel here :lol:

• Like 1

it was dice poker in the first one, gwent is like hearthstone apparently(never played hearthstone so not 100% sure)

here is a video showing some gameplay. i guess you can find cards in the world or you can buy them from vendors and in game in the cities they hold huge tournaments, sounds like fun.

As a Blizzard player, can confirm that looks 100% not like Hearthstone gameplay wise. :P.

• Like 1

As a Blizzard player, can confirm that looks 100% not like Hearthstone gameplay wise. :P.

yeah after watching a video on hearthstone i see your point :lol: im guessing the hearthstone reference was in reference to an addictive card game and not in application.

here is some video of the inventory and quest log of witcher 3 it definitely looks much improved over witcher 2.

Edited by bran

Just watched part 1.... gonna do part 2 soon.

Also did about an hour of W2 earlier today... I didn't have a save file from W1 to load, and I already noticed a major difference. Foltest says to Geralt towards the very beginning that Adda is dead..... in W1 I saved Adda, so he never said this in my first play through - and I was wondering the whole time why there was such a power struggle in Vizima because Adda should have been there (and she was no wimp). Makes more sense now, guess the "official" story is probably that Geralt had to slay her in W1.

Just watched part 1.... gonna do part 2 soon.

Also did about an hour of W2 earlier today... I didn't have a save file from W1 to load, and I already noticed a major difference. Foltest says to Geralt towards the very beginning that Adda is dead..... in W1 I saved Adda, so he never said this in my first play through - and I was wondering the whole time why there was such a power struggle in Vizima because Adda should have been there (and she was no wimp). Makes more sense now, guess the "official" story is probably that Geralt had to slay her in W1.

yeah good catch. i have been replaying the witcher 1 i definitely forgot some things.

Edited by bran

God dammit this game has had the best fucking trailers. I've been waiting for something combat focused, as most of the previews/reviews I've seen haven't talked much about it. The ones that have basically say it's "W2 combat with some new features." I think that's a bit of an understatement, if it plays anything like that trailer shows.... it's going to be freaking sweet. Can't wait to fight some of those monsters (and then to destroy my mouse and keyboard out of rage after getting killed 6 times in a row). :lol:

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Whelp, apparently it absolutely delivers and is amazing. Even better than Dragon Age Inquisition according to the reviews I've seen

"...this is one of the best role-playing games ever crafted, a titan among giants and the standard-setter for all such games going forward" - 10/10, GameSpot

And dammit bran, Geralt was finally going to dethrone Fassbender as my avatar....... or alternative: get as many members as possible to have Geralt avatars.

• Like 1