The Witcher III

On 6/2/2016 at 0:59 AM, bran said:

i love how now if you read a book or letter, it automatically deletes from your inventory and goes to your glossary. also cool there is a merchant who sells a gwent book, telling you which cards you are missing, and how to get them.

And pressing V when you pick up a piece of text, it used to be so difficult to find the important book/note that you just found.

I overall like the GUI updates, but the sign/bomb selection screen (Tab) is a lot worse than it was before. Takes longer to navigate and isn't as smooth. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I'm about 3-4 hours into Heart of Stone. Really terrific stuff, doesn't really even feel like an expansion - just feels like I'm playing more W3, in a good way. The wedding was sort of entertaining, but the heist was really great. Killed both Borsodis.

I have absolutely zero memory of the heist now that I think about it. I really enjoyed Hearts of Stone, but Blood And Wine is something beyond. It's phenomenal.

• Like 2

Has anyone who has been playing BaW encountered the Equine Phantoms side quest? Not going to spoil anything, but it may be one of my favourite moments in the entire game. If you've played it, you know what I mean. 

Edited by Zeppelin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i got into the witcher on accident really, i saw the cover and bought the game and really liked it, but my pc sucked i mean probably sub 20 frames in places lol. the leaps they have made from witcher 1 to the witcher 3 is amazing and shows talented people can do great things if you have a work ethic and can budget. CDPR almost went broke during witcher 2(after a remake/port of witcher 1 to ps3 and xbox 360 fell through) and now are one of the biggest developers in gaming. they have also helped really get the polish game development scene some recognition.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I just haven't played the main story/non-DLC in a while, but it feels like with Blood and Wine they've made the experience even more immersive. Waiting in that bank going window to window (all of that for 200 crowns?!), the wine tour from your majordomo, the quest where you had to retrieve the statues "stones." Maybe it's just that Heart of Stone was so specific with it's story and a bit less open than B&W. Anyway, this is really great overall, it's an absolute blast. Sad that it will be the last original content developed for W3. C'mon CDPR, just have a dedicated team always working on W3 content, and release DLC every 6-10 months. :P

• Like 1

What a game. I'm honestly a little emotional now that it's over haha. I still have some loose ends to tie up in the game, but what an experience. This may ruin other open world games for me, depending on how they're developed by other studios. 

I'm looking forward to CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm still going to miss Geralt. It's honestly crazy that this is it for W3 content and that there won't be a W4 for a very long time, if ever. I hate that. But it's also exciting because of what else they may bring to the table.

Feels like yesterday Geralt and Vesemir were talking about Lilac and Gooseberries...

Edited by Zeppelin

Okay, I've said it a billion times, but CDPR is fucking brilliant:

Spoiler

Okay, so here's how my story ended up going, but I have to emphasize how amazing it is.

When it's revealed that Syanna/Rhenn are the same person and that Syanna was just using Dettlaff the entire time, you see her in a negative light. But when you go into the Fablesphere to bring her out and confront Dettlaff (which is what I did), you end up seeing her side of the story a bit and see her in a more sympathetic light (even though she is a murderer) after she explains what happened to her when she was exiled. Thus, it's not just one side of the story.

When it's all said and done and you face Dettlaff, you have an optional quest before talking to Damien. If you reveal that the fifth victim of these murders was going to be Anna Henrietta, you see Syanna in a negative light again. But that's the beauty of it. It's an optional quest. If you don't do it, and your recent quest with her in the Fablesphere was your last little bit with her, then you may decide to be more lenient with her when treating her as a criminal. However, if you do the optional quest and find out everything about Syanna, she ends up insulting you, saying that everyone is actually using you to get what they want (including her). So, when you end up deciding on how to proceed with her trial, you see her in a truly negative way again.

The events, if you choose to play out all of them, will make you weigh the options at the end. But if you don't do all of the quests, you may think about your choices differently.

Fucking genius.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love every bit of this fucking game. I stopped playing this to focus on Fallout 4... what a fucking waste of time. It took a while for me to get on a rpg game again cos of F4..

I spend so much time and that game left me empty handed.

But re discovered the Witcher 3, cos i wanted to take a look at the expansions after i finished the game, and oh boy.. that drunk scene in kaer morhen was the shit. It got me back on track.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished B&W last night.

I thought I made a save right before you choose to either give Syanna to Detlaff, or go for the Unseen Elder -  so I could reload easily and play the other ending(s), but the save disappeared!

The ending I got was:

Went to see Unseen Elder, he was totally badass, got that awesome samurai style armor, had him summon Detlaff, fought Detlaff, Regus kills him.

Syanna is prisoner, I discover Anna is the final victim, tell them both what I've discovered. At the ceremony Anna stupidly (seriously, I KNEW that was a bad idea the second she told her guards to stand down) offers Syanna a hug, Syanna kills her with her hairpin. Captain de la Tour shoots Syanna in the neck.

I was not all too happy with this ending, going to have to reload from a bit further back than I intended, but I need to play it giving Syanna right to Detlaff, I have a feeling that's a better ending. Shame though, I can't imagine that path is cooler than the Unseen Elder/samurai armor.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a confession. A few weeks ago I started up again, only this time with the expansions and the patch fixes.

Though I still think there's a few flaws with camera and being forced to walk in interiors, I'm able to overlook most of it. The base game in current state is a polished fun experience.

Hearts and Stone is fine as a DLC. I loved the main storyline and I loved that they actually had a few proper boss fights in it compared to the base game, but there wasn't alot there.

Blood and Wine though is amazing. So gorgeous and plenty to do, there's alot of modern gaming companies (think EA ect.) that would have passed it off as the Witcher 4. I've done the side quests and just have to finish the main quest line now. Only real criticism so far, is that Grandmaster gear feels kind of underwhelming. Also kind of got a little bit too excited about the house renovations. I wanted to do more than just clean it up and add space for paintings, oh well.

Comparing the The Witcher to what was done with the Dragon Age and Final Fantasy XV series is a no contest. One company wanted to make a great game, the other two wanted to make a game as a platform for making DLCs.

Edited by AtariLegend

On 5/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, AtariLegend said:

I have a confession. A few weeks ago I started up again, only this time with the expansions and the patch fixes.

Though I still think there's a few flaws with camera and being forced to walk in interiors, I'm able to overlook most of it. The base game in current state is a polished fun experience.

Hearts and Stone is fine as a DLC. I loved the main storyline and I loved that they actually had a few proper boss fights in it compared to the base game, but there wasn't alot there.

Blood and Wine though is amazing. So gorgeous and plenty to do, there's alot of modern gaming companies (think EA ect.) that would have passed it off as the Witcher 4. I've done the side quests and just have to finish the main quest line now. Only real criticism so far, is that Grandmaster gear feels kind of underwhelming. Also kind of got a little bit too excited about the house renovations. I wanted to do more than just clean it up and add space for paintings, oh well.

Comparing the The Witcher to what was done with the Dragon Age and Final Fantasy XV series is a no contest. One company wanted to make a great game, the other two wanted to make a game as a platform for making DLCs.

I started a replay about a year ago, but it didn't stick. I still need time for it to freshen up, but I'm eager for the moment when I'm ready. I did put about a million mods on it when I tried, which were cool. Mostly graphics/visual/weather things.

Can't believe you didn't do the DLCs until now! H&S is good, and I'd have still thought the W3 was an amazing game had it ended there. But B&W is indeed amazing. It feels wrong to say, but I liked it better than the main game (not knocking the main game at all!) - and it helps to just look at it all as W3.

I didn't get the ending I wanted for B&W, so a replay is inevitable.

EDIT: And Trespasser is probably my favorite video game DLC after B&W. But I agree the other DLCs were lackluster. And though I loved DA:I, W3 is a better game overall.

EDIT X2: Also, why aren't you playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance? :P

Edited by OmarBradley

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 9:08 AM, Oldest Goat said:

I didn't like The Witcher 2. Is 3 better? I hear it is amazing so I'm considering getting it since I'm getting a new gaming rig.

Much better, but also a bit different. I like them both a lot, but prefer 3 due to its scale and comprehensiveness. 

Edited by OmarBradley