The Witcher III

i filled out the questions for my world state. side with roche- killed sile- killed letho and i cant remember the other question.

that pulp fiction reference :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Oh right you replayed W1 not W2. Yeah that's the same as my save from W2, killed Letho and Sile, sided with Roche.

I must have missed the Pulp Fiction reference, what was it?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i filled out the questions for my world state. side with roche- killed sile- killed letho and i cant remember the other question.

Oh right you replayed W1 not W2. Yeah that's the same as my save from W2, killed Letho and Sile, sided with Roche.

the other question(now that i remember) was if i killed aryan which i did.

the pulp fiction reference is during the first main quest in no mans land you will laugh when you hear it. found some cool new sword schematics in white orchard during a treasure hunt side quest that i stumbled upon. i made the steel one but missing one ingredient for the silver, the weaponsmith at the nilfgaardian outpost has it but its like 600 orens :(

Edited by bran

the pulp fiction reference is during the first main quest in no mans land you will laugh when you hear it. found some cool new sword schematics in white orchard during a treasure hunt side quest that i stumbled upon. i made the steel one but missing one ingredient for the silver, the weaponsmith at the nilfgaardian outpost has it but its like 600 orens :(

Ah yeah I haven't gotten there yet, still in White Orchard. I got some good armor off a bandit, looks dumb though, but it's twice as good as the starting one.

Got a few sword schematics too, need more ingredients.

The potion system is weird, I need to get used to it. Health never recovers (although I think you can use an ability point to get that skill), and Swallow only last 20 seconds....though I guess it recovers faster than the previous 2 games.

I let Aryan live, interesting, I didn't expect to see him in this game, I'd pick either him or John Natalis to rule Temeria.... once I get rid of these god damned southerners.

Fingers crossed for Iorveth.

• Like 1

Ah yeah I haven't gotten there yet, still in White Orchard. I got some good armor off a bandit, looks dumb though, but it's twice as good as the starting one.

Got a few sword schematics too, need more ingredients.

The potion system is weird, I need to get used to it. Health never recovers (although I think you can use an ability point to get that skill), and Swallow only last 20 seconds....though I guess it recovers faster than the previous 2 games.

I let Aryan live, interesting, I didn't expect to see him in this game, I'd pick either him or John Natalis to rule Temeria.... once I get rid of these god damned southerners.

Fingers crossed for Iorveth.

wasnt there a way to drink your potions and then store the use for you later due to your metabolism? i have read about it but i havent been able to figure out how to do it.

How big is the world?

Its not one whole map but broken into 3 or 4 areas but they are massive. You could spend 5 or 6 hours in the tutorial area alone

Yup, I was a little disappointed to find that out.... but bran is right, I spent 5 hours in the "prologue" area, I did pretty much everything to do, may have missed 1 or 2 things. I'm in Velen now.

I think I crafted that sword you couldn't afford, :lol: had to sell a lot of stuff to buy that Emerald Dust.

Can't tell if I like Hairworks or not, it makes everything, especially Geralt, look a bit better - but I'm not sure I like the effect it has on the "feel" of the game. Though, I haven't read through that NVIDIA doc yet, should hopefully explain some of these things.

The back story on Ciri wasn't done very well IMO.... from the lore of the previous 2 games, and the skimming on Witcher wiki I had done, I thought she was Yennefer and Geralt's daughter (though I know Witchers and sorcerers are infertile....) until that scene with Emperor Tywin. Had no idea she was his daughter. Why were Geralt and Yen raising her? Did Emreis want Ciri to become a Witcher? I still don't get Ciri's connection to the WH, but I guess that will be explained.

And clearly Emreis and Geralt have a past relationship, it was barely alluded to in W2, and not explained at all in W3. :shrugs:

Oh well, having a blast playing the game anyway.

Oh yeah, and still getting used to the new potion system. But I like that they not only brought food/water back from W1, but it's actually useful in 3, where it was useless in 1.

Edited by OmarBradley

How big is the world?

Its not one whole map but broken into 3 or 4 areas but they are massive. You could spend 5 or 6 hours in the tutorial area alone

Yup, I was a little disappointed to find that out.... but bran is right, I spent 5 hours in the "prologue" area, I did pretty much everything to do, may have missed 1 or 2 things. I'm in Velen now.

I think I crafted that sword you couldn't afford, :lol: had to sell a lot of stuff to buy that Emerald Dust.

Can't tell if I like Hairworks or not, it makes everything, especially Geralt, look a bit better - but I'm not sure I like the effect it has on the "feel" of the game. Though, I haven't read through that NVIDIA doc yet, should hopefully explain some of these things.

The back story on Ciri wasn't done very well IMO.... from the lore of the previous 2 games, and the skimming on Witcher wiki I had done, I thought she was Yennefer and Geralt's daughter (though I know Witchers and sorcerers are infertile....) until that scene with Emperor Tywin. Had no idea she was his daughter. Why were Geralt and Yen raising her? Did Emreis want Ciri to become a Witcher? I still don't get Ciri's connection to the WH, but I guess that will be explained.

And clearly Emreis and Geralt have a past relationship, it was barely alluded to in W2, and not explained at all in W3. :shrugs:

Oh yeah, and still getting used to the new potion system. But I like that they not only brought food/water back from W1, but it's actually useful in 3, where it was useless in 1.

sorry i didnt see this earlier, got called into work( those fuckers :lol:)

BOOK SPOILERS:

basically geralt did a job for the emperor(who was using a fake alias going as duny) who was cursed and turned into some kind of weird hedgehog type of monster. as payment geralt enacted the "law of surprise" which geralt would claim a child from duny(the emperor) and pavetta(ciris mom) pavetta being pregnant at the time with ciri. 6 years to the day of her birth geralt went to cintra to get ciri but no one would give him information about her including what sex the child was. so geralt ended up leaving without her.

the emperor then ended up trying to get ciri and pavetta to nilfgaard(where he was the rightful heir) pavetta found out about it and left ciri back on land, pavetta and emhyr got into an argument and it is alluded to that emhyr threw pavetta overboard and then sailed back to nilfgaard . nilfgaard invaded cintra, emhyr sent a knight to get her out, he helped ciri escape the slaughter, ciri then wandered around a bit and her and geralt ran into each other again after certain events in the book, and he took her on as his ward and brought her to kaer morhen, yennefer comes into it later. triss helps ciri at kaer morhen to become a lady and to help her with ciris power.

edit: made my sword found some emerald dust on a wraith.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

How big is the world?

sorry i didnt see this earlier, got called into work( those fuckers :lol:)

BOOK SPOILERS:

basically geralt did a job for the emperor(who was using a fake alias going as duny) who was cursed and turned into some kind of weird hedgehog type of monster. as payment geralt enacted the "law of surprise" which geralt would claim a child from duny(the emperor) and pavetta(ciris mom) pavetta being pregnant at the time with ciri. 6 years to the day of her birth geralt went to cintra to get ciri but no one would give him information about her including what sex the child was. so geralt ended up leaving without her.

the emperor then ended up trying to get ciri and pavetta to nilfgaard(where he was the rightful heir) pavetta found out about it and left ciri back on land, pavetta and emhyr got into an argument and it is alluded to that emhyr threw pavetta overboard and then sailed back to nilfgaard . nilfgaard invaded cintra, emhyr sent a knight to get her out, he helped ciri escape the slaughter, ciri then wandered around a bit and her and geralt ran into each other again after certain events in the book, and he took her on as his ward and brought her to kaer morhen, yennefer comes into it later. triss helps ciri at kaer morhen to become a lady and to help her with ciris power.

edit: made my sword found some emerald dust on a wraith.

Thanks, that clears up a lot for me, guess I should read the books.

Also, I'm playing on "Normal" mode, thinking of going to "Hard." I'm level 4, and I killed a group of slavers/Nilfgaardian deserters who were levels 7 (slavers) and 16 (Nilfgaardians). :lol:

Lots Quen/Axii spam and dodging; formula for being unbeatable. Definitely don't want to play on the mode where death is finite though.

One thing that sort of annoys me, is many side quests give very little experience for completing, why bother doing a quest for 30 XP, or even 50???? I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the content and I'm going to do them regardless, but I feel like 50 orens and 50 XP is not adequate reward/payment for some of these quests - though it was like this in W2 as well, don't recall in the first game.

I skipped the Gwent tutorial, and as a result, when I tried playing someone I had no idea what was going on, lol.

Made a great new silver sword, serpentine or something like that, and the upgraded Kaer Moren armor, looks a lot better than the my previous armor which made Geralt look like a jester.

Edited by OmarBradley

There is a serious need for some spoiler tags in this thread.

I was pretty sure only bran and I were using this thread. I've even considered just making it a PM conversation between him and I. I suppose I'll start using the tags from now on.

I don't think anything too terrible has been spoiled though.......

Pretty much completely, a few minor things I noticed skimming through the vid now (I watched the whole thing months ago), the biggest difference I noticed was the some changes to the GUI, like how the inventory is displayed.

Otherwise, that's more or less the game (features, combat, aesthetics, story, etc...).

I hope the graphics look close on XBONE

the xbox one looks good

the video you showed was what the graphics were meant to be but were cut back due to the specs on the consoles not being what CDPR thought they were going to be(according to a supposed cdpr insider whose identity was verified) the graphics are still awesome though its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be and not nearly as bad as what happened to watch dogs. i stop in places and just stare at the scenery sometimes, especially at sunset or at midnight, been a while since i have done that with a game.

as for spoilers i just didnt use them since it was mostly book stuff and it was pretty much only me and omar posting but yeah from now on i will use spoiler tags for in game stuff.

anyone else have a weird flickering issue? it only occurs to me on the character screen where it shows geralt, his face is always flickering. tried a bunch of things to fix it but nothing works.

as for difficulty i started on the blood and broken bones difficulty and then moved it up to death march, death march is quite fun and really keeps you on your toes.

Edited by bran

There is a serious need for some spoiler tags in this thread.

I was pretty sure only bran and I were using this thread. I've even considered just making it a PM conversation between him and I. I suppose I'll start using the tags from now on.

I don't think anything too terrible has been spoiled though.......

I don't think so, I'm just scared to read any of the posts! I've just finished the baron and crones quests, not sure things could've turned out any worse after my choices :lol:

Made a great new silver sword, serpentine or something like that, and the upgraded Kaer Moren armor, looks a lot better than the my previous armor which made Geralt look like a jester.

some of the light armor in this game is weird looking makes geralt look like a jester :lol:

Yup, lol.

I've gotten some slightly better armor than the one I have now, but it looks way too comical - so I'm sticking with the upgraded Kaer Moren armor.

I don't think so, I'm just scared to read any of the posts! I've just finished the baron and crones quests, not sure things could've turned out any worse after my choices :lol:

I'm still working with the Baron and doing sidequests. Met up with a sorceress for some stuff.

I'm sort of conflicted on Hard mode, it's definitely more challenging, and I can handle it, but there are two annoyances that come with it:

1. Vitality does not regenerate after meditating (it might if you're at a fire, but I haven't tried that yet).

2. It's almost impossible to kill anything that's more than 3-4 levels above you, which I liked doing.

Think I'll probably stick with it anyway though.

And I think I finally understand the new potion system, once you've crafted a potion once you never have to again, when it runs out, you can meditate and it will automatically replenish the supply (if you have enough alcohol/ingredients to do so).

It's funny, in a way, this game has a lot in common with the first one.

EDIT: Also, I'm 12 hours in for reference.

Edited by OmarBradley

Perfect day for Witcher playing here... dark, cloudy, and rainy.... gonna take off work early to play. :lol:

there is a new patch out as well.

Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed
Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
Sharpen Post-process settings extended from Off/On to Off/Low/High
Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Corrects a bug where player was able to shoot bolts at friendly NPCs
Improves menu handling
Corrects an issue with Stamina regeneration while sprinting
Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occurred when scrolling the map
Generally improves world map focus
Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
Corrects some missing translations in the UI
Corrects an issue in dialogue selections
Rostan Muggs is back
Minor SFX improvements
also looks like CDPR will release a patch allowing PC users to change the .ini file to really up the graphics.
Edited by bran

Perfect day for Witcher playing here... dark, cloudy, and rainy.... gonna take off work early to play. :lol:

Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed
Improves menu handling
Rostan Muggs is back
Minor SFX improvements
also looks like CDPR will release a patch allowing PC users to change the .ini file to really up the graphics.

Hm, not sure I got the patch... guess Steam may have DL'd it while I wasn't paying attention. Should be able to start playing around 3, interested to see if I'll notice a difference.

Improves menu handling
Rostan Muggs is back
Minor SFX improvements

Hm, not sure I got the patch... guess Steam may have DL'd it while I wasn't paying attention. Should be able to start playing around 3, interested to see if I'll notice a difference.

i wont be able to play until tonight sometime, hopefully it fixes some of the lock ups i have been having. i had 3 in about 20 minutes last night, always when i go to the inventory. i read online saying switching the setting from locking the game at 60fps to unlimited would fix it. i did that and played about 2 hours without one lock up so hopefully that fixed it. i still want a fix for that weird flickering bug at the inventory screen.

potential spoiler:

i found my first griffin last night in the world, it was a cool sight wish i had recorded it. it proceeded to one hit me. i reloaded and i was in an area after a quest that was filled with really high level monsters and the only sign post was on the way past the griffin, so i had to ride past it and the fucker chased me for a ways, intense stuff
Edited by bran
  • Like 1