Kurt Cobain Solo Album

J Dog

Summer...

http://pitchfork.com/news/59469-new-kurt-cobain-album-to-be-released-this-summer-according-to-montage-of-heck-director/

While preparing Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, the forthcoming documentary about theNirvana singer, director Brett Morgen sifted through dozens of Cobain's personal tapes. Now, an album culled from those home recordings will be released this summer, as Morgen told Bedford + Bowery.

When asked by Bedford + Bowery if he uncovered any particular highlights amongst Cobain's archives, Morgen responded, "We’re going to be putting out an amazing album this summer that I think will answer that question." He also said the album "will feel like you’re kind of hanging out with Kurt Cobain on a hot summer day in Olympia, Washington as he fiddles about. It’s going to really surprise people."

He added: "Just to be clear, it’s not a Nirvana album, it’s just Kurt and you’re going to hear him do things you never expected to come out of him."

Later in the interview, Morgen said he found 107 cassettes featuring 200 hours of "never-before-heard or rarely heard music." He also said the tapes contain jam sessions with Courtney Love, jam sessions with friends and Nirvana, demo tapes, demo tapes with his punk band Fecal Matter, serious and un-serious spoken word material, covers of the Beatles, sound effects, sound design, and more.

You can read the entire interview here.

• Like 1

I wish, just ONCE, with one of em once, they could just approach it with class and just let what he did while living speak for itself. It was weird watching that Montage of Heck documentary, you kinda felt like 20 or so years had gone by and like...thats enough time for him to not really register anymore as a person but rather just this big thing that happened...and it happened to THEM. It's so fucking odious i can't tell ya.

I expected better from Krist too, honestly? 'He couldn't stand to be humiliated', come ONNNN man, thats your fuckin' boy, you rode in a van with him hours and hours and hours on end, across America and Europe, you slept together on floors, ate off the same plates, do you HAVE to go there?

If i was head of Kurts estate, honestly, the home videos and tapes I'd keep for myself and thats it. And his clothes etc etc, what have you. But I'd rather burn them than put them out in the world for people to fuckin' get their Ed Gein thrills off of.

Edited by Len B'stard

Well the Cobain estate has quite a way to go before reaching the depths the Michael Jackson estate already have, hiring an imposter to fake vocals on an officially released posthumous album.

They didn't, did they? :lol: Who the fuck you gonna find to fake a Jacko, you'd have to be off your tits, it'd stick out a mile off, i ain't even that big a Jacko fan and you can't fake his voice on me, fuck knows what a you or one of those mental late 80s era bitches (sorry, not to lump you next to an odd category there, you know i love you :lol:) from the gigs that used to fall out over him, they can probably tell if it's him clearing his throat or not.

Death Row Records did the same with Tupac, just got some bloke doing a fuckin' Mike Yarwood and stuck him on. 'The Realest' i believe he was known as. Good eh, bet that took em ages to think up, i bet that took a few conference calls eh? :lol:

Well the Cobain estate has quite a way to go before reaching the depths the Michael Jackson estate already have, hiring an imposter to fake vocals on an officially released posthumous album.

They didn't, did they? :lol: Who the fuck you gonna find to fake a Jacko, you'd have to be off your tits, it'd stick out a mile off, i ain't even that big a Jacko fan and you can't fake his voice on me, fuck knows what a you or one of those mental late 80s era bitches (sorry, not to lump you next to an odd category there, you know i love you :lol:) from the gigs that used to fall out over him, they can probably tell if it's him clearing his throat or not.

Death Row Records did the same with Tupac, just got some bloke doing a fuckin' Mike Yarwood and stuck him on. 'The Realest' i believe he was known as. Good eh, bet that took em ages to think up, i bet that took a few conference calls eh? :lol:

No offense taken, I'm the guy to the left of the dove lady in the orange t-shirt:

2mov9eg.jpg

Yes they did. There were three songs on the 2010 "Michael" album which featured vocals by a guy who sounds a dead ringer for Jason Malachi - an infamous Youtube Michael Jackson vocal impersonator. 50 Cent even featured on one of the three songs, obviously completely unaware of the fact that Michael Jackson is not the man singing on the record. The more sane fans (they do exist) smelt a rat it and the album divided his fanbase and pretty much tanked by Jacko standards as a result of the controversy. The two men who run his estate paid something like $3mil for a batch of ten or twelve tracks all written and produced by the same guy, all featuring dubious vocal takes which bare only a passing resemblance to Jacko's real vocals. The producers were sneaky little fucks, even going so far as to copy and paste real MJ ad-libs, "hoos" and "hee-hee-hees" and place them on the record to try and make them sound more convincing.

I guess that's what you get when you have lawyers running the estate making creative decisions about stuff they know nothing about. They have promised the fans they will not use any more of these songs, but at the end of the day, Sony fucking music put out a Michael Jackson album with three songs where Michael Jackson isn't even singing. It's a fucking travesty and will always be a steaming turd on his legacy right there with the child abuse allegations.

Have a listen for yourself. If this is Michael Jackson singing I am Shirley Temple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyGzJC6jv6Q&list=RDRyGzJC6jv6Q

If you're still in any doubt, listen to this MJ-soundalike on Youtube:

Edited by Towelie

Fuck that, i can tell that aint Jacko! The voice is too soft, none of the depth and richness. This is Death Rows Pac immitator:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qoi5q-6Wps

How lame is that? :lol:

I don't even know 2Pac's stuff, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But if they try pulling this bullshit at Michael Jackson's level, then you can be damn sure they'll be trying to pull it with other acts. A real fucking disgrace when you think about it.

Fuck that, i can tell that aint Jacko! The voice is too soft, none of the depth and richness. This is Death Rows Pac immitator:

I don't even know 2Pac's stuff, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But if they try pulling this bullshit at Michael Jackson's level, then you can be damn sure they'll be trying to pull it with other acts. A real fucking disgrace when you think about it.

See people wonder why i rejoice in the collapse of the music industry, it's things like this because when shit like this happens it clearly illustrates exactly what the industry thinks of artists. I mean, speaking for myself here, each artist, to me, is like...it's a really really unique thing, a one-shot expression that, to the last detail, it's important...and it's just not like that for the industry, it's about money, it's about investment, it's about breaking even, making profit, it's about 'the next big thing', it's about maximising the potential of whatever you have to squeeze every last fuckin' pound out of it that you can, it's fucking sick, it's parasitic, it's foul.

Michael Jackson, though i may not be his biggest fan, is a fucking cultural footnote, not a pound a penny ministrel that when he dies all you need to do is find a Michael shaped piece to fit the hole he left in the puzzle and hey presto, the money rolls in.

Like you said, it's lawyers making artistic desicions on a piece of work and it is the most base filthy cold blooded profiteering, these fuckin' no-neck grey suit wearing motherfuckers wouldn't know art if you crammed the Mona Lisa, frame and all right up their fuckin' arses.

This is why i want the record industry to collapse totally, this is why i want music to be completely worthless in the sense that they find value in it i.e. their ability to shag people out of money for it. The industry is basically like glorified loan sharking, you have these people who have a talent that a group of people invest money in and expect a fucking return, NOTHING you get from these motherfuckers is free, you will pay through the fucking nose for it, advance and all.

Thats why every so often you get a record company that tries to nurture artists and create some kind of an artists camp, like Sub Pop, like SST, like Creation...they all end up folding like a fuckin' cheap deckchair though because as much as those other motherfuckers are evil you can't have the lunatics running the asylum either. This is why the internet is THE KEY revolution in this particular context, cuz it blows the shit wide open and has the money men wetting their whities and going mad releasing all encompassing boxsets with glossy bollocks in em, desperately trying to scratch the last few pennies out of this rapidly sinking Titanic of an industry.

And I'm loving it personally, fuck you, burn baby burn, i will piss on your fuckin' glowing embers dear record industry cuz you were nothing a house of usury. Cunts.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Reminds me of one of my all time favourite songs by The Smiths. As always Mozza put it into prose far better than I could:

At the record company meeting

On their hands - a dead star

And oh, the plans they weave

And oh, the sickening greed

At the record company party

On their hands - a dead star

The sycophantic slags all say :

"I knew him first, and I knew him well"

Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package !

Re-evaluate the songs

Double-pack with a photograph

Extra Track (and a tacky badge)

A-list, playlist

"Please them , please them !"

"Please them !"

(sadly, THIS was your life)

But you could have said no

If you'd wanted to

You could have said no

If you'd wanted to

BPI, MTV, BBC

"Please them ! Please them !"

(sadly this was your life)

But you could have said no

If you'd wanted to

You could have walked away

...Couldn't you ?

I touched you at the soundcheck

You had no real way of knowing

In my heart I begged "Take me with you ...

I don't care where you're going..."

But to you I was faceless

I was fawning, I was boring

Just a child from those ugly new houses

Who could never begin to know

Who could never really know

Oh ...

Best of ! Most of !

Satiate the need

Slip them into different sleeves !

Buy both, and feel deceived

Climber - new entry, re-entry

World tour ! ("media whore")

"Please the Press in Belgium !"

(THIS was your life...)

And when it fails to recoup ?

Well, maybe :

You just haven't earned it yet, baby

I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck

You're just the same as I am

What makes most people feel happy

Leads us headlong into harm

So, in my bedroom in those 'ugly new houses'

I danced my legs down to the knees

But me and my 'true love'

Will never meet again ...

On their hands - at last ! - a dead star !

But they can never taint you in my eyes

No, they can never touch you now

No, they cannot hurt you, my darling

They cannot touch you now

But me and my 'true love'

Will never meet again

On their hands - at last ! - a dead star !

I mean, even just those two lines.... and the use of the words "at last"... like you know these fucking labels can't wait for some of these artists to fucking clog it, so they can reissue, repackage, rerelease and license the shit out of their every song un-challenged and unhindered by the artists wishes.

Edited by Towelie

Reminds me further of something Kurt said in the new docu about the way they clung to the heroin thing even when he wasnt even on that and he got this distinct feeling they were kinda salivating for his death, like willing it on almost.

Reminds me further of something Kurt said in the new docu about the way they clung to the heroin thing even when he wasnt even on that and he got this distinct feeling they were kinda salivating for his death, like willing it on almost.

Unsurprising.

I firmly believe Sony Music cracked open the champagne the day Jacko died. I mean, he died a shell of a man, strung out by sycophantic enablers, $500million in the red, forced into doing a comeback tour just to get out of debt, yet less than six years since his death his estate has an estimated worth of over one billion dollars.

Same thing happened with Elvis.

Edited by Towelie

Unsurprising.

I firmly believe Sony Music cracked open the champagne the day Jacko died. I mean, he died a shell of a man, strung out by enablers, $500million in the red, forced into doing a comeback tour just to get out of debt, now his estate has an estimated worth of over a billion dollars.

Same thing happened with Elvis.

I dont reckon you're far wrong, i mean he was more of a liability to them alive than he was dead, a legend, pedo accusations washed away and ready to strip for parts.

What bothers me most of all about Jacko was that if he really was this sort of man-child, pure of heart etc it dont fuckin say a lot about us, collectively, as a race, for how he ended up.

Cuz we're all part of the machinery arent we, death and sex wouldnt sell if we were there, cash in hand, to pay for it. Its this awful venal circus and we're none of us innocent in the equation.

I wish, just ONCE, with one of em once, they could just approach it with class and just let what he did while living speak for itself. It was weird watching that Montage of Heck documentary, you kinda felt like 20 or so years had gone by and like...thats enough time for him to not really register anymore as a person but rather just this big thing that happened...and it happened to THEM. It's so fucking odious i can't tell ya.

I expected better from Krist too, honestly? 'He couldn't stand to be humiliated', come ONNNN man, thats your fuckin' boy, you rode in a van with him hours and hours and hours on end, across America and Europe, you slept together on floors, ate off the same plates, do you HAVE to go there?

If i was head of Kurts estate, honestly, the home videos and tapes I'd keep for myself and thats it. And his clothes etc etc, what have you. But I'd rather burn them than put them out in the world for people to fuckin' get their Ed Gein thrills off of.

I haven't watched Heck yet and not sure I will. Everything I have seen so far, it's just like, do I really need to see this? I just don't know if I want to go through his life like that. I'm not even sure he would want all this personal music out. I guess I'll break down and watch Heck one day, and I guess I'll check this album out, but I can honestly say I really don't like any of it.

Of all the screwed up shit Suge did, most of it comes down to money, greed, and power. But that was just down right disrespectful. Just low. Even for Suge standards that was low. And that is saying a lot. The really bad thing about stuff like that, like you said about Krist and Kurt being boys but Krist going along with it, Pac, for reasons I understand even though some people don't, he actually considered Suge a friend. And here's Suge, what, 2 or 3 years after Pac died, I'm going to sign a Pac impersonator. Fucking disrespect is what it is.

Nah man, I can understand why you watched it. When I first heard about it I was actually looking forward to it. But after the trailers and hearing what it's all about, I'm just like, I don't think I need to see this. I just don't see any gain at all in me watching it. I own just about every bit of music Kurt did, I'm good with that ya know? Like I said, sooner or later I'll probably watch it I guess.

Trivia: Krist was born in Compton.

Well damn. I'm coming straight outta Compton, crazy motherfucker named Novoselic :lol:

I doubt there'll be anything as interesting as You Know You're Right on the album, but it just sounds like a cash-grab to release an album under Cobain's name rather than releasing it as a soundtrack to the film