While my guitar gently weeps- Prince out geniusing a genius

spunko12345

I'm a massive Prince fan who owns everything he's ever done, including every bootleg that exists. Having said that, I've long believed that this performance was widely overrated. I'm also a pretty advanced guitarist and there really is nothing particularly special or remarkable about this solo, I think it just opened some peoples eyes who perhaps weren't all that aware that the little dude could more than hold his own when it comes to busting out some tasty licks. Prince is very good at understanding the importance of stage theatrics and he employs all of the classic guitar hero mannerisms in this clip, from the open mouthed orgasm facial to throwing his guitar at the end. I think sometimes this makes people who don't know much about guitar playing think that someone is better than they actually are.

If you want a serious discussion about his talents on the axe, I would argue that Prince's biggest strength is his superb rhythm work.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Why this isn't formally recognised as one of the greatest solos of all time utterly bewilders me.

Cuz Prince is a bender. And a God-bothering bender at that :lol:

Why such little reverence for the purple ponce Len?

Just being juvenile really, he might be amazing, to be honest I've heard next to nothing of his. That song out of Pretty Woman, thats about it. Oh and that one that came out as a single when i was a lad 'the most beautiful girl in the world'. Probably heard more cuz I mean he's fuckin' massive isn't he but if you don't know it's him or whatever then you uh...don't know its him? What am i talkin' about? :lol: If you don't know it's him then you don't know its him.

That sounded very scouse didn't it? :lol: 'like' :lol:

Why this isn't formally recognised as one of the greatest solos of all time utterly bewilders me.

Just being juvenile really, he might be amazing, to be honest I've heard next to nothing of his. That song out of Pretty Woman, thats about it. Oh and that one that came out as a single when i was a lad 'the most beautiful girl in the world'. Probably heard more cuz I mean he's fuckin' massive isn't he but if you don't know it's him or whatever then you uh...don't know its him? What am i talkin' about? :lol: If you don't know it's him then you don't know its him.

Well, radio don't really play much of his stuff, especially in the UK. Most guys I talk to over here think he's a poor mans Jacko who sings like a girl and is most definitely a bender. And he ain't done jack shit to change that perception in recent times, so its his own fault really.

It's not all brilliant, but there is some brilliant stuff in his catalogue. Hell of a player, performer, band leader, writer.

Lovesexy is the shit. Alphabet Street.

Oh yeah, Lovesexy is one of my favourite Prince albums. But it's a bit too arty-farty for me to recommend it to a non-Prince fan.

I listened to Lovesexy for the first time yesterday. Great album.