The Self Employment Thread

Gracii Guns

17 hours ago, Dazey said:

I've done three 12 hour days so far this week. Did an 85 hour week about a month ago. :(

Fuckin hell boy, i thought all you well paid lot do short hours for a shedload of scratch, how long can one possibly sit around drawing fuckin' chemical...uh, thingies for? (Chemical thingies, you can tell I've got my head round your job eh? :lol: )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2016 at 4:31 AM, Len B'stard said:

Fuckin hell boy, i thought all you well paid lot do short hours for a shedload of scratch, how long can one possibly sit around drawing fuckin' chemical...uh, thingies for? (Chemical thingies, you can tell I've got my head round your job eh? :lol: )

thingies is actually the technical term for lots of well...thingies!

I wonder if I could self publish?

What would a publishing company need? Think Snakepit, think Snakepit...

They would need; 

For hard copies; a place to print produce; a printing house, a printing press, computers (probably Apple), staff, a warehouse; and a way to sell;

Be it internet, market stall or hopefully, to the high street/America through other vendors such as reputable/trusted names already in place all buying my books and stuff.

Oh yeah, and an account! Since, y'know, I'd be self employed, an employer and as well as receiving royalty monies for my own stuff paid to me by sales from the company etc...

3 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

I wonder if I could self publish?

What would a publishing company need? Think Snakepit, think Snakepit...

They would need; 

For hard copies; a place to print produce; a printing house, a printing press, computers (probably Apple), staff, a warehouse; and a way to sell;

Be it internet, market stall or hopefully, to the high street/America through other vendors such as reputable/trusted names already in place all buying my books and stuff.

Oh yeah, and an account! Since, y'know, I'd be self employed, an employer and as well as receiving royalty monies for my own stuff paid to me by sales from the company etc...

Snakes, I run a publishing company. 

Yes, you could self-publish. (Judging by the amount of content you produce here).

You will need all the things you listed. But before all that, you'll need an author who can write.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hit my first real low in self-employment yesterday. 

One of my long-term big paying clients has decided not to use my (nor any other designers' services). That is fine.

Me finding out about it by them publishing their plans on Facebook to a general audience was classy AF. 

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Hit my first real low in self-employment yesterday. 

One of my long-term big paying clients has decided not to use my (nor any other designers' services). That is fine.

Me finding out about it by them publishing their plans on Facebook to a general audience was classy AF. 

Thats not ever so bad kiddo, these things happen, its part of the game innit, no custom is guaranteed to ya, whats important is you dont burn any bridges because in my experience often a couple years down the line people often come back and that.

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats not ever so bad kiddo, these things happen, its part of the game innit, no custom is guaranteed to ya, whats important is you dont burn any bridges because in my experience often a couple years down the line people often come back and that.

Indeed, you're completely right. They were always hard work, and always quibbled invoices. Just sent them a polite email thanking them for their custom, and wishing them the best of luck with their new plans. I'm just more peeved that I found out via a public Facebook announcement, rather than a quick email or phone call to explain to me why I might struggle to pay my bills in the future. 

Spoiler

Hopefully won't be as desperate as that, but 6 months ago I was dependent on them in that way.

Anyway, in better news, it looks like I'm moving house and getting a HOME OFFICE, instead of working on the sofa in my matchbox-sized studio flat. 

4 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Indeed, you're completely right. They were always hard work, and always quibbled invoices. Just sent them a polite email thanking them for their custom, and wishing them the best of luck with their new plans. I'm just more peeved that I found out via a public Facebook announcement, rather than a quick email or phone call to explain to me why I might struggle to pay my bills in the future. 

Reveal hidden contents

Hopefully won't be as desperate as that, but 6 months ago I was dependent on them in that way.

Anyway, in better news, it looks like I'm moving house and getting a HOME OFFICE, instead of working on the sofa in my matchbox-sized studio flat. 

So the next party you're at when you fancy givin' it large and someone asks where you're working you can go 'oh I'm working in the Home Office these days' :D

22 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I am Theresa May's BIATCH. Dies will be elated.

Dont worry sister, come the revolution we'll have Dies' first up against the wall, blindfold, last fag then one in the back of the head, UP THE WORKERS! :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was reaching a new height with my business. We've just launched an absolute cracker of a magazine, and we're all set to do a second issue. Got the call today that the client has just incurred a massive bill from someone else, and can't afford another issue.

Alongside last week's news, I'm back to square one with my business. As much as I love magazines, I'm not sure if there's any money in them. 

Going to mull things over on my holiday and see what Icome up with. I now have the time for a permanent part-time job, but as we all know, I'm crap at getting those. 

:( Any ideas, guys? 

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

I thought I was reaching a new height with my business. We've just launched an absolute cracker of a magazine, and we're all set to do a second issue. Got the call today that the client has just incurred a massive bill from someone else, and can't afford another issue.

Alongside last week's news, I'm back to square one with my business. As much as I love magazines, I'm not sure if there's any money in them. 

Going to mull things over on my holiday and see what Icome up with. I now have the time for a permanent part-time job, but as we all know, I'm crap at getting those. 

Honestly, 9 out of 10 business you (or anyone) starts will fail. The key of a good businessperson is to get back on the horse! Don't let failure discourage you; Learn from your mistakes, cut your losses, move on/Get back on the horse with business #2.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

Honestly, 9 out of 10 business you (or anyone) starts will fail. The key of a good businessperson is to get back on the horse! Don't let failure discourage you; Learn from your mistakes, cut your losses, move on/Get back on the horse with business #2.

Can't believe I'm saying this but this is good advice here from Snakes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Stick to it but just see what other directions you can take it, diversify and all that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Gracii Guns said:

@Snake-Pit Greek Street? I used to live near there.

So is it a virtual office, or is that the 9-5 pad? 

Ask no questions, hear no lies.

'The former'...

which is great since I was in the market for a P.O Box anyway, I found something much better.

My family used to have a business on Greek Street in the 1920s right, so 2016, I saw it, I know it etc... Perfect, like, done deal as far as I was concerned for F * * K