The Self Employment Thread

Gracii Guns

I thought that Snakes deciding to start a business just because of a tax loophole was a downturn for this thread. I was wrong.

I thought it was an upturn from the drugs though. :) and :lol:

Fair point.

On my first day freelancing a well known high-class political montly got in touch asking if I could cover their designer while he's on holiday. Completely out of the blue, and what a stroke of luck for my first day!

• Like 1

I would love to be self employed but at the age of 39 I haven't found a good niche or the tools & funding to jump into it. Even if you are female you need balls unless you have a healthy bank account for the first couple of years for startup expenses.

My brother went from paratrooper to fitness/adventure instructor via a couple of other jobs and now has his own company doing landscape maintance - not awesome, but he could be working 24/7 and has no desire to hire anybody else - he supports a family of 4

I don't know who you are or where you are but my best advice would be to know your market area, stay away from all arts & crafts unless you are insanely talented.

stay away from all arts & crafts unless you are insanely talented.

Thanks for that advice. I've just finished my first week of self-employment. It's been a very emotional week (and I have the emotional spectrum of a goldfish). But I got one new client, which I completely wasn't expecting. I'm appreciating the easier pace of life.

I'm a graphic designer, so I apply "arts and crafts" for commercial gain. I do know many ceramicists and illustrators who are doing alright. It's not an industry anyone goes into expecting an accountant's salary.

Sorry Dad :lol:

P.S. Wheres my pocket money you tight fisted old knacker? :lol:

You can forget about pocket money you little shit and its a good job your mums in the room because if you give me any more lip like that I'll give you such a hiding you won't know if it's good Friday or bonfire night. So help me i will. Maauuureeeeeeen, see to your son will you i can't do anything with the choppsy little shite I'm going down the pub leave my tea in the oven

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying self-employment. My husband and I are getting by better than we thought we might. Today I just sent my biggest invoice to date...it totalled to more than what I'd normally earn in a week. I'm worried that they're going to have problems with it because it's over twice what I quoted them for. But there was extra work which they didn't brief me about, and I worked until 1am to get it done. It's just a feeling which I'll have to get used to.

Sorry Dad :lol:

P.S. Wheres my pocket money you tight fisted old knacker? :lol:

You can forget about pocket money you little shit and its a good job your mums in the room because if you give me any more lip like that I'll give you such a hiding you won't know if it's good Friday or bonfire night. So help me i will. Maauuureeeeeeen, see to your son will you i can't do anything with the choppsy little shite I'm going down the pub leave my tea in the oven

This certainly bodes well for the ankle-biter in waiting :lol:

• 1 month later...

So...after a solid week of having nothing to do but be a lady of leisure, I found myself applying for jobs, asking people in different industries about how to get in and applying for retraining, and generally pushing very random doors in the hope one will open. Another magazine has agreed to take me on as their new designer on a freelance basis. This means that I have one week hired at my full rate every month- which is almost double what I'd be taking home in a week from my last job.

I also had a meeting with a potential new client who wants me to design logos for the businesses she works with.

Basically, this is a massive step towards freelancing working out better than being employed, and something to celebrate.

• Like 1

So...after a solid week of having nothing to do but be a lady of leisure, I found myself applying for jobs, asking people in different industries about how to get in and applying for retraining, and generally pushing very random doors in the hope one will open. Another magazine has agreed to take me on as their new designer on a freelance basis. This means that I have one week hired at my full rate every month- which is almost double what I'd be taking home in a week from my last job.

I also had a meeting with a potential new client who wants me to design logos for the businesses she works with.

Basically, this is a massive step towards freelancing working out better than being employed, and something to celebrate.

Awesome!!!! You deserve the success.

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly wanted to cry when I saw the prices for shops to rent in London.

http://www.shopproperty.co.uk/shops-to-let/London

£2, 000, 000 PA (Per year)! for a shop on Oxford Street.

Surely that's affordable to you, with all the money drug dealing brings in?

Give the lad a break eh Grace? It's the first time he's seen the cost of rent in London when it's not covered on the social. :lol: