Superhero Overkill

Yeah, too bloody much...I'm surprised they are as popular as they are, as long as they make $$$ they will keep churning them out.

I didn't want to say it in the actual thread, but geez that Suicide Squad movie looks dumb as fuck.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to Batman v Superman because it's a concept that's been tossed around a while but not been realised yet, and Deadpool should be fun with its breaking of the fourth wall.

The rest seem a tad cookie-cutter, will probably skip most of them.

Funny to think back in the '90s they couldn't get studios to make superhero movies at all besides the awful Schumacher Batman films. Marvel sold the Spider-Man movie rights to Sony for a mere $7 million (they were bankrupt at the time as well). I was a huge Spider-Man fan from '97 on, and I remember waking up after the US release of the first film in '02 and seeing on the Internet that the first film had made over $100 million in its first weekend, I couldn't believe it.

I guess even if the studios had wanted to make superhero films in the '90s the tech wasn't really there (even the CGI in the early '00s film is dated now).

Even though I find the Marvel movies generic, I don't find any of them bad. I actually enjoyed both the Thor films despite having no interest in the comics, and that's down to Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston charismatic performances. Chris Evans and the screenwriters took what could have been a really boring stoic character in Captain America and not only made him relatable but also explored an interesting avenue of seeing how values of WWII-era America embodied in Steve Rogers clash so violently with the Orwellian NSA-driven modern US government represented by SHIELD in Winter Soldier and Iron Man in Civil War.

• Like 1

Great point Amir.

I used to read X Men comics in the first half of the 90's and they were on about a movie then, it's great they didn't go ahead with it because I bet it would have turned out like Street Fighter or something :lol:

I'll just add that Tim Burton's Batman movies are among my favourite films, and I thoroughly enjoyed Raimi's Spiderman, X Men and the first Iron Man...it's not that I'm against Superhero movies full stop.

You know Russell Crowe was Singer's first choice for Wolverine? Second choice was Dougray Scott, who chose to do MI2 instead, and then they just settled for Hugh Jackman. Hard to imagine anyone else in the role now. I remember I had to wait ages after the US/UK release for the first X-Men film to come out in Abu Dhabi, and then my dad had to ask the cinema manager if I could see it because they'd rated it 18 in the UAE, prob down to Mystique being naked all the time (they didn't give a shit about violence when it came to ratings over there so I doubt it was anything like that).

The Raindrops montage in Spider-Man 2 is one of my favourite movie moments ever, just beautiful, one of the editors chose it as temp music for that montage and then him and Raimi decided to keep it for the final film. Similar thing with the Time in a Bottle/Quicksilver scene in Days of Future Past, Singer had nothing to do with that; 2nd unit director shot it and one of the editors chose the music as temp.

First film I ever saw was Burton's Batman when I was all of 2. Guess it left an impression on me...

Funny to think back in the '90s they couldn't get studios to make superhero movies at all besides the awful Schumacher Batman films. Marvel sold the Spider-Man movie rights to Sony for a mere $7 million (they were bankrupt at the time as well). I was a huge Spider-Man fan from '97 on, and I remember waking up after the US release of the first film in '02 and seeing on the Internet that the first film had made over $100 million in its first weekend, I couldn't believe it.

I guess even if the studios had wanted to make superhero films in the '90s the tech wasn't really there (even the CGI in the early '00s film is dated now).

Even before the Spiderman and Xmen movies, big credit has to go to the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, which was the first truly successful Marvel comics based film franchise, and came out just one year after Batman And Robin.

Superhero films were a tough sell in the 90's. They didn't know what kind of films they were. They've felt Richard Donner's Superman was too serious, Burton's Batman too gothic, they tried to make them into action films or family friendly entertainment. Even in the 00's they had trouble, there were some really good films such as the first two X Men films, the first two Spider-Mans, Batman Begins, and some mediocre films such as Hulk and Superman Returns and some bad ones like X3, Daredevil, Green Lantern and whatever else I am forgetting. It really wan't until The Dark Knight and Iron Man that they found a formula. The last two Iron Man's weren't that great though but the other Marvel films seemed to be fine.

Even before the Spiderman and Xmen movies, big credit has to go to the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, which was the first truly successful Marvel comics based film franchise, and came out just one year after Batman And Robin.

Yeah, I remember seeing Blade ads in my Spider-Man comics all throughout '98. Begged my dad to take me to see it just because it was a film of a Marvel character, then begged him to take me out in opening scene when blood started coming out the sprinklers in the club, I was such a pussy :lol: Went to see Small Soldiers instead, good film.

mediocre films such as Hulk and Superman Returns

I like both those films, Hulk especially. Much prefer it to The Incredible Hulk, I liked the concept of son vs. father, and some of the shots were beautiful like the fight in the clouds.

Nope. I think it's just fine. Honestly have no issue with it at all. If people don't wanna see them all they don't have to see them.

If ya wanna add to it though I'm sure there will be more X-Men movies and Wolverine movies too haha

No, I like those dumb movies. I don't like to read comic books so I guess it's like a comic book experience I can get into for me.

Still something creative came out of it with Guardians Of The Galaxy, but X Men: Days Of Future Past was pretty great as well.

Plus, technology have come a long way so it just leads to more spectacular representation and exaggerated nature of those universes which is just brain dead fun.

It will develop with time to something with more varied scripts in it hopefully and not as many cross over movies, but we're still in the holy shit stage where the industry can't resist making a lot of them cause the demand is there and they're still exploring with what they can do with superhero movies.

Iron Man 2 and 3 and the recent Spiderman movies were horrid. That is not how you do it imo.

The Dark Knight can pretty much stand on it's own. It was a thrilling experience, thanks to what a great actor could do with a comic book character. At least it was one of the main reasons imo.

Edited by Rovim

They're kind of becoming more and more like comic books, no? A constant stream of new episodes, storylines, and reboots, but mostly the same recipe. I imagine it's cool for comic book fans who are into the minutiae and all, but I'm more about good stories, and while a handful of them work, a lot of them just feel like the same movie over and over again, and that's exactly why I never got into comics.

• Like 1

They're kind of becoming more and more like comic books, no? A constant stream of new episodes, storylines, and reboots, but mostly the same recipe. I imagine it's cool for comic book fans who are into the minutiae and all, but I'm more about good stories, and while a handful of them work, a lot of them just feel like the same movie over and over again, and that's exactly why I never got into comics.

True to a certain extent, but I'd say the major difference is that the films are more consistently entertaining. I read comics from '97 to about '07, buying The Amazing Spider-Man every month and loads of other superhero comics along the way. 99.9% of them are bumfodder. A lot of comic fans try and act like every single piece of work in that medium is a masterpiece, and while I do think there are genuinely beautiful and awe-inspiring comic books, so many of them are utter cack that are churned out for kids to read in the barber shop or wherever. I guess I was reading comics in a pretty bad time (late '90s/early '00s), the Golden Age and Silver Age of superhero comics had long since passed and it was the tail end of the '80s/'90s obsession with everything being EXTREME and every character looking like they're on steroids.

I've gotten bored with this endless flow of comic book adaptations as well, Ant-Man? Really? When they did The Green Lantern you could tell that the market was saturated. Why else are they cramming each next movie with as much superheroes as possible (read Robert Downey Jr.) just to get the fans to show up and get a good box office return... And instead of having movies that stand on their own with great storylines and new and exciting characters and villains, they keep rehashing the same tired formulas and you know they are setting up the sequel or the spin off or the ... during the movie you are watching! So annoying. I will say that at least they are expanding the universe of the Marvel characters somewhat, I hate it when they reboot completely and

you have

to sit

through that

same

milked out

overrated
origin story

all

over

again...

:thumbsdown:

Sure thing. If you think this is bad see what's coming for their comics, another secret wars arc and they will reboot the entire Marvel universe. So far the 2010's are being as terrible, if not worse, for superhero comics, and everything related, as the 90's.

That market hit a boom in the early 90s, became saturated and crashed, hard. So much so that Marvel went broke and had to sell their character rights to movie studios to stay afloat... look how that turned out for them.