Noise Rock

Jabberwocky

I've been told a lot of the stuff i listen to is Noise Rock, or was Noise Rock, Big Black, Scratch Acid, Sonic Youth have elements of it, The Butthole Surfers. I mean all that No Wave stuff was like the beginnings of that shit and i LOVE that, fuckin' James Chance, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, then my man Steve Albini and all the various offshoots of his shit. Glenn Branca, now there's a fuckin' kiddie with some perspective on this shit.

To be it's like taking guitar based music to it's most out there and as a result most creatively fertile ground. I don't people respect the genre enough though, there's a lot of fashion victims in that scene, or there were when i was into it and more like...people who used it as on their way to somewhere if you get my meaning? It takes a lot of courage i think, musically, to go down those sorts of avenues.

Bands like PiL did a lot of messing around with that kinda stuff too. I'm not sure whether i love the term or resent the fuckin' hell out of it. I mean I'm definitely into loud annoying noise as my man Keith Levene once put it (SUPER underrated guitarist) but then at the same time there's almost a trivialising of it too.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 2