The Who Hits 50!

axlslash

Has anyone been to any of the shows on this tour yet? I'm going tonight. I'm really looking forward to it. The Who were my first rock show about 13 years ago, so it's bittersweet to go in knowing that tonight is probably the last time I'll see them. Never seen Joan Jett before, though, so I'm super excited that she's opening. The setlist they've been playing this tour is a nice blend of songs from throughout their careers.

I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
Squeeze Box
I Can See for Miles
My Generation
Magic Bus
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
A Quick One (While He's Away)
Amazing Journey/Sparks/Pinball Wizard/See Me, Feel Me/Listening to You
Encore
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

Respectfully disagree with you there. It's not the original lineup, granted, but I think Zak is a perfect heir to the Loon's throne. I mean Keith bought the kid his first kit, and Zak is far more like Keith than his old man (which really just means any talent whatsoever, sorry Ringo...). Zak is probably my favorite drummer out there today, so I'm cool with it. I mean, it's not the original lineup, granted. But if there were ever a post-original lineup worthy of a band's name, it's this one.

Frankly, I find Entwistle the bigger loss. Palidino is very good, but not even close to the Ox.

Respectfully disagree with you there. It's not the original lineup, granted, but I think Zak is a perfect heir to the Loon's throne. I mean Keith bought the kid his first kit, and Zak is far more like Keith than his old man (which really just means any talent whatsoever, sorry Ringo...). Zak is probably my favorite drummer out there today, so I'm cool with it. I mean, it's not the original lineup, granted. But if there were ever a post-original lineup worthy of a band's name, it's this one.

Frankly, I find Entwistle the bigger loss. Palidino is very good, but not even close to the Ox.

I turn into a grumpy old git about this stuff, ignore me. Zaks something approaching suitable but 'perfect heir'? No way, no way on earth. And i agree that The Ox was just as big of a loss. Him and Moonie, musically, where the geniuses of the band really, in terms of being most important to the sound, which is the strangest fucking thing to say about a rock n roll band, that their drummer and bass player were the thing. Townshend was composer extrordinaire and Rog' was the hard man, which every band from London needs :lol:

And Ringos a brilliant drummer man. For his sphere. Come to that even Moonie weren't a drummer drummer drummer, in the sense that Max Roach or Clyde Stubblefield or Ginger Baker are drummers, he was just the right kind of mental for what The Who were doing, utterly unique with it.

I caught one of the London shows. Simply incredible. You're undoubtedly guaranteed a great show. Not just good , but great!

Starkey is such a good drummer. I saw one of the Quadrophenia shows and he really went insane on 5:15! I'm not usually into drum solos but that one kicked so much ass!

• Like 1

I turn into a grumpy old git about this stuff, ignore me. Zaks something approaching suitable but 'perfect heir'? No way, no way on earth. And i agree that The Ox was just as big of a loss. Him and Moonie, musically, where the geniuses of the band really, in terms of being most important to the sound, which is the strangest fucking thing to say about a rock n roll band, that their drummer and bass player were the thing. Townshend was composer extrordinaire and Rog' was the hard man, which every band from London needs :lol:

And Ringos a brilliant drummer man. For his sphere. Come to that even Moonie weren't a drummer drummer drummer, in the sense that Max Roach or Clyde Stubblefield or Ginger Baker are drummers, he was just the right kind of mental for what The Who were doing, utterly unique with it.

RIngo's not "bad," but I'm not sure I'd say he's good either. He's basic, boring, and unexciting. I'm not sure how much "talent" it takes to just keep the beat. He's good at it, but I see him more as a metronome than a musician.

And at the end of the day, I'll say this much: I feel about the Who much the way I feel about GNR. The name is a marketing device, and sure they may not "be the Who" depending on what semantic definition you, Dee Snider, or anyone else want to put on it. But Pete, Roger, Pino, Zak, and Simon make a damn fine rock band and put on a hell of a show. I will spend precisely 0 minutes tonight thinking about whether it's "The Who" and will just enjoy the music.

GTF: the Quadrophenia tour was fucking perfect. That was my 3rd time seeing them, and easily the best show, They were so happy to finally be doing that show that way, and the enthusiasm came through in a big bad way.

Edited by axlslash

Mooney was a shell of himself by the time he died. Go watch a video of his playing from the late 60's early 70's and then watch one of him just before he died. He was one of the best ever early in his career but by the time he died he was at times sloppy and all over the place. He was still good but nowhere near as good as he was early in his career IMHO

Edited by classicrawker

Mooney was a shell of himself by the time he died. Go watch a video of his playing from the late 60's early 70's and then watch one of him just before he died. He was one of the best ever early in his career but by the time he died he was at times sloppy and all over the place. He was still good but nowhere near as good as he was early in his career IMHO

I seen em.

RIngo's not "bad," but I'm not sure I'd say he's good either. He's basic, boring, and unexciting. I'm not sure how much "talent" it takes to just keep the beat. He's good at it, but I see him more as a metronome than a musician.

And at the end of the day, I'll say this much: I feel about the Who much the way I feel about GNR. The name is a marketing device, and sure they may not "be the Who" depending on what semantic definition you, Dee Snider, or anyone else want to put on it. But Pete, Roger, Pino, Zak, and Simon make a damn fine rock band and put on a hell of a show. I will spend precisely 0 minutes tonight thinking about whether it's "The Who" and will just enjoy the music.

GTF: the Quadrophenia tour was fucking perfect. That was my 3rd time seeing them, and easily the best show, They were so happy to finally be doing that show that way, and the enthusiasm came through in a big bad way.

In a way i think im guilty of the same sentimentality i take the piss out of others for. Like for instance i'll give Miser a hard time for looking quixotically at the sky dreamin' of the 60s or whatever but how far is my fuckin' militant assertions of 'original or bust', they're games for the same ballpark really.

The original Who were something else though, i never heard a band sound so fuckin' unique. A rock n roll band that is. But you're right, end of the day its a bunch of lads playing music and if it sounds good it sounds good, so what if they use a word in the dictionary that was once attached to a band i loved as what they present themselves as, would it make any different if they were The Famous Flying Flymo Fucksticks? Not really.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

What a fuckin show. And if you were only gonna see one, it was tonight. I'll post fuller thoughts tomorrow, but here's a quick one (while he's a way) before I head to bed with my ears still ringing.

When the Blackhearts are your opener, it's gonna be a good night. Opened with a run of Reputation, Do You Wanna Touch Me, and Cherry Bomb, closed with a run of I Love R&R, Crimson and Clover, and I Hate Myself For Loving You. Woman puts on a show, and I don't mind saying that she looks damn fuckin' good for her age.

The Who are boss, as always. They played the same setlist as every night, but with one HUGE difference. I noticed pretty quickly when they skipped Magic Bus, but Rog was struggling with an allergic reaction to cigarette smoke, so I chalked it up to that. Right between A Quick One and Tommy, though, they made up for it. The Real Me, with Chicago's hometown hero Eddie fucking Vedder. I lost my shit good and hard at that one. There was a point that Roger had the mic in the air, Pete was doing windmills, and Eddie was bouncing around like he does where I just thought "this is the coolest thing I have ever seen."

Nothing beats that fuckin' debut of theirs. AMAZING album, right from the beginning, Entwhistle is like a fuckin' orchestra, it's the strangest thing, he's doing these crazy lead lines, listen to Quadrophenia and that, bass playing isn't supposed to be done like that...then Moonie going off like a fucking rocket and you have the rhythm guitarist making thing dense and like...almost keeping time, it's just the unique musical mess that just clicks in the perfectest of ways.

And they played Maximum RnB, fuckin' RnB and soul and all this fuckin' cool music...but with this glorious whiteboy snottiness, there's something insolent about these foul London yobbos attempting to do Please Please Please by James Brown :lol: And y'know what they fuckin' pull it off and I've never heard anyone do that song justice and it's all done on the back of whats supposed to be their weakest link, Roger Daltrey, it's in the way he switches up the emphasises of the vocal lines, he knows he can't belt it out like James Brown but he kinda just takes it in his own direction, it's fuckin' brilliant, that 'i said baby, i said well baby...i love you soo', they just drop that shit.

Musically, out of the big four, Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks...as a musical unit The Who are the more interesting and intriguing and probably have the more out and out geniuses in terms of profficiency with their instruments.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish there was more record of their early days when they were mods and playing all those wonderful soul and RnB covers, thats like the essence of The Who and there's hardly fuck all of it out there.

I'm not even just incredulous for the sake of it, I'm on a mission to convert now :lol: You mean cover my ears from the new Who or The Who in general Dane? Not The Who in general, surely.

Just one band I could NEVER get into.

Maybe? :)

• Like 1

It's not gonna happen again, bud, no need to worry. Just a one-off guest spot. You can go and rest easy that the only cocks on stage will be attached to 70 year old men singing about how they hope they die before they get old :D

• Like 2

I'd love to see them again! Saw them in 08 and it was magic. I'll try and hit up a show in the Fall but might not be likely since there are other shows I'm headed too.

Glad I've seen them, though. The 2008 show was everything I could want in a modern day Who production, so I won't be too sad if I miss them again.

Edited by ZoSoRose