What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

On 2016-03-28 at 10:29 PM, PsychoKiss344 said:

Unreal fucking performance!

I highly recommend watching this

I saw Slipknot in 2009, I can't say I listen to them very often anymore but it was an amazing show, the crowd and the band were great, Joey was a fucking beast! Don't have any interest in seeing them nowadays though.

Anyway, doing my weekly-ish catch-up on Stephen Colbert's show, what the fuck did I just watch? :lol:

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I saw Slipknot in 2009, I can't say I listen to them very often anymore but it was an amazing show, the crowd and the band were great, Joey was a fucking beast! Don't have any interest in seeing them nowadays though.

Anyway, doing my weekly-ish catch-up on Stephen Colbert's show, what the fuck did I just watch? :lol:

Yea, Slipknot are great live, saw them for the first time last summer and seeing them again this summer!

The new drum Jay Weinberg is also a beast, you should check this video out...

9 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Yea, Slipknot are great live, saw them for the first time last summer and seeing them again this summer!

The new drum Jay Weinberg is also a beast, you should check this video out...

My brother saw them last year and said it was a great show, it probably was, but I stopped following them after Paul died really. I listened to their last album and didn't like it at all, Joey's one of my all-time favorite drummers and I can't get into Jay nearly as much, and Corey's just such a douche. (Fuck him for continuing Slipknot without Paul, and Joey, and for Firing Jim from Stone Sour).

-----------------------------------------------

42 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

My brother saw them last year and said it was a great show, it probably was, but I stopped following them after Paul died really. I listened to their last album and didn't like it at all, Joey's one of my all-time favorite drummers and I can't get into Jay nearly as much, and Corey's just such a douche. (Fuck him for continuing Slipknot without Paul, and Joey, and for Firing Jim from Stone Sour).

-----------------------------------------------

Slipknot is one of favourite bands but yea Corey is a douche!

23 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Watching The Ramones live is kinda like having a wank, you can do it without concentrating but it won't be as good, you have to focus on every stroke and really like, be right in there :lol:  You have to engage your passionate side and know how to control it's peaks and little dips of restraints to wait for another peak again and try and hold on for the duration :lol:

2 hours ago, J Dog said:

This is your first contribution to this thread right? Fucking fabulous. Out of likes but much respect.

Why thank you. ODB is a fascinating character and i always thought he wanted to be something other than just a rapper. I remember stumbling on an interview with his mother saying when at home he never listened to rap at all and loved rock music. If you look up an interview with him ( MTV never before seen ) he mentioned he wanted to go in a rock direction that would have interesting!

On 11 May 2016 at 6:37 AM, Silverburst80 said:

Why thank you. ODB is a fascinating character and i always thought he wanted to be something other than just a rapper. I remember stumbling on an interview with his mother saying when at home he never listened to rap at all and loved rock music. If you look up an interview with him ( MTV never before seen ) he mentioned he wanted to go in a rock direction that would have interesting!

There's a shit out there of him singing Love Me Do by The Beatles :lol:  Don't get it twisted though he was all about the hip hop, he just understood that along with hip hop, part of hip hop is a lot of other shit, remember the creators of hip hop came up on James Brown and Marvin Gaye and The Stylistics and all kindsa soul and Motown and even some disco, all sorts.  Shit, half of early hip hop IS James Brown, if you really know your James Brown you'll know that hip hop stripped Jameses shit for parts like...down to the bone.  Dirt Dog was something else though, Ason Unique, he was called that for a reason cuz he was U-fuckin'-nique, Dirty was something else. 

And y'know when he sings Love Me Do, the way he snaps his fingers to it, the rhythm he finds in it is RIGHT at the heart of the RnB sensibility that was at the heart of the Beatles stuff, it was seriously swinging stuff, it's just it found itself being played with a thump due to the kind of audiences it attracted but that music swung like Otis Redding.  The truth is a lot, a LOT of hip hoppers love rock, or the old boys did.  They couldn't not do, the way they reference it like 'hey, you, get off my cloud, you dont know me and you don't know my style!', how could you put that in a rhyme if you weren't hearing The Stones?  Musicians in general i find, artists, they just like music full stop, whatever kind it is they can fuckin' get with.

Hip Hop gets tarred with this dumb image but like...I mean i remember hearing interview with The God Rakim and they're like where did you get your flow from and, like, to my mind Rakim is the God of flow, the one who took it from the boom bap (which there was nothing wrong with btw) to the layered multi-syllabic thing.  And anyway he was like he got the rhythms into his head by listening to John Coltrane.  Point being there are strands of ALL kinds of music that find their way into hip hop, thats part of it's appeal and why it's become THE music of our day, cuz by virtue of being this post modern thing where it takes from all over the place in the past through sampling etc, by virtue of that it's appeal is SO fucking broad.  This is something thats lost nowadays and i think it's killing the music, it's really turning into this synthesiser thing, this shrill sounding shit when really the beating heart of hip hop is bass.  

The truth though is that hip hop came from reggae.  There is a direct prescedent from reggae to hip hop, Dub Reggae, with was basically taking the big tunes of the day, removing the vocals and having the DJ of the day rhyming words over it, THAT is hip hop.  Sound systems in the park, that comes from hip hop, it comes from King Tubby, it comes from the 1970s sound system clashes in Jamaica, which is exactly what Kool Herc was doing on Sedgewick Avenue at the crucible of hip hop, only he was mixing 2 discs.

I mean listen to that, thats 1978, thats U Roy basically talking over the instrumental of Soul Rebel by Bob Marley and mildly rhyming it.  And whats funny is they got that from all those  1950s American DJs that used to play on rock n roll radio and do little lead ups like 'This is radio KWD bringing you stacks of wax with the best tracks...and thats fact!' :lol: 

Really music is one big incestuous family.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...