What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

16 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Up In Smoke, shit, i used to have this on VHS.

We used to watch it all the time. I went to my homeboy's yesterday and he ran across a box full of all kinds of shit. DVD music video collections and things like that. We found this, popped it in his dvd player in his Suburban, sat in the backseat and had a smoke session while we watched it :lol:

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Jagger's documentary, Mr Dynamite: The Rise Of James Brown. One of the best musical documentaries I've seen, placing James Brown in his musical and historic context.

Told ya it was a cracker.  I must've watched it 500 times since its release.

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Again, in context, it can be understood why a certain generation of black American would be pro Republican.  

Richard Nixon though, literally the dodgiest guy to ever be president?! Apparently it lost him a sizable chunk of his black fanbase.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Richard Nixon though, literally the dodgiest guy to ever be president?! Apparently it lost him a sizable chunk of his black fanbase.

Bit of a fuck up really but then was it, or was it just that he was who he was, in the same way Jimi was who he was and pissed off a lot of black folks for not leaping into 'the cause' two footed?

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Bit of a fuck up really but then was it, or was it just that he was who he was, in the same way Jimi was who he was and pissed off a lot of black folks for not leaping into 'the cause' two footed?

He is going to look like an arse post-Watergate. Sometimes I few music acts should be banned from supporting politicians or parties!

James Brown believed in a sort of rugged capitalistic black empowerment, i.e. enfranchise the black person and allow them to acquire money and property, etc. - he also was patriotic to the United States and toured the troops in Vietnam. Brown's view on the race issue was different from the view reached by people like the Nation of Islam, Black Panthers, or even Dr King's (which was more utopian). It was possible for white politicians to accommodate with such a view, or believe they could.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

He is going to look like an arse post-Watergate. Sometimes I few music acts should be banned from supporting politicians or parties!

James Brown believed in a sort of rugged capitalistic black empowerment, i.e. enfranchise the black person and allow them to acquire money and property, etc. - he also was patriotic to the United States and toured the troops in Vietnam. Brown's view on the race issue was different from the view reached by people like the Nation of Islam, Black Panthers, or even Dr King's (which was more utopian). It was possible for white politicians to accommodate with such a view, or believe they could.

It's actually a very hip hoppy philosophy which I suppose isn't suprising as hip hop came out of that generation but it's interesting in that it's led to hip hop/rappers being unsettlingly capitalist.  One thing about rock n roll is that it maintained it's 'of the people' bent til quite late in the day, hip hop dropped it really early on.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

It's actually a very hip hoppy philosophy which I suppose isn't suprising as hip hop came out of that generation but it's interesting in that it's led to hip hop/rappers being unsettlingly capitalist.  One thing about rock n roll is that it maintained it's 'of the people' bent til quite late in the day, hip hop dropped it really early on.

Incidentally, if you like rap/hop hop, apparently this is your 'James Brown album',

Junglegroove.jpg

I have it but have not got round to listening it yet.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Incidentally, if you like rap/hop hop, apparently this is your 'James Brown album',

Junglegroove.jpg

I have it but have not got round to listening it yet.

Yeah, it's the most cannibalized album in hip hop history.  I mean you get into the 100s just counting the big hits that have tea leafed off of it.  There's no James Brown that I ain't heard.  Or very little.

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, it's the most cannibalized album in hip hop history.  I mean you get into the 100s just counting the big hits that have tea leafed off of it.  There's no James Brown that I ain't heard.  Or very little.

They apparently loved 'Funky Drummer'.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They apparently loved 'Funky Drummer'.

When you strip hip hop for parts it's most fascinating because it takes a kind of fuckin...i dunno what it is, to take these disparate musical threads and tie them together and come up with something thats musical.

Do me a favour, have a listen to Please Please Please by The Who, having swallowed a bit of James Brown, tell me how it stand up :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

When you strip hip hop for parts it's most fascinating because it takes a kind of fuckin...i dunno what it is, to take these disparate musical threads and tie them together and come up with something thats musical.

Do me a favour, have a listen to Please Please Please by The Who, having swallowed a bit of James Brown, tell me how it stand up  or on:lol:

Is that on Odds and Sods? I have all the Who albums remastered but I've never listened to them in a few years, well, not since Townsend got caught downloading filth on his computer haha.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is that on Odds and Sods? I have all the Who albums remastered but I've never listened to them in a few years, well, not since Townsend got caught downloading filth on his computer haha.

Really? :lol: its on their debut...and its not the only James Brown cover on it, they were directly influenced by Live at the Apollo.