What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

Jean-Luc Godard/The Rolling Stones's Sympathy for the Devil. Part, highly interesting fly on the wall documentary on the Stones' creative process, part politically motivated artsy fartsy masturbation.

PS

This is just about my favourite clip from those old '50s-60s' shows (which I love watching incidentally),

Everything, from the aggression of Mary Weiss's vocal delivery, the backing vocals and spoken interludes, to the cheesy dance routine, is staggeringly brilliant. Unlike a lot of those old clips, this is live. It captures the mood and innocence of the mid '60s, pre-hippydom 1960s, more than any other performance I have ever seen.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The bugger can not sing for toffee!

I omitted to mention hes off his tits on skag in that! :lol: I think you'd really like Johnny Thunders though, theres a lot about hos work thats very Diesian, lots of Keith Richardisms, an immense fondness for 50s rock n roll, 60s girl groups, loved the Ted look and all wrapped around this very grimy rock n roll. A fair couple of ballads thrown in there too, to show it weren't all one way.

You should seek out LAMF by Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, i think you'd enjoy it. In fact I'd like you to listen to it, all the way through, I'd be interested to know your verdict:

http://youtu.be/nB9xkvUhtlc

Its very much strictly rock n roll this album, doesnt quite run the entire Diesian gamut as outlined above, i think its one of the best sounding rock n roll albums of the 70s in terms of stamping the decades rock n toll with its own identity.

Edited by Len B'stard

I might have a listen to Thunders at some point. I have two punk albums on LP, the Clash's debut and Never Mind the Bollocks. I also have the latter as a remastered cd with a second disc of 'Spunk' demos.

Here is another great great clip with live vocals. I love the way it breaks out at 0:44, with Estelle and Nedra being unveiled.

Watched Scorsese's The Last Waltz - FX removing the cocaine from Neil Young's nose haha.

Last night I watched the whole show, 1989, from which this is taken from,

I got a torrented dodgy DVD haha.

It is the same show that sees Axl and Izzy guest on ''Salt of the Earth''. Good show, albeit a bit 'brassy' like a lot of modern Stones shows, lots of Miami Vice fashion tips for all to see and a duo of ridiculous inflatables during ''Honky Tonk Woman''. The Stones were reviving ''2000 Light Years'' on this tour and a lot from their then new record (Steel Wheels) as opposed to the customary one-two songs. Excellent versions of ''Midnight Rambler'' and ''Undercover of the Night'', a song I had hitherto not cared for. During the latter Jagger knock over the microphone stand in his enthusiasm; he has to pick it up himself with not a roadie or sycophant to be seen! And of course ''Salt of the Earth'' is magnificent, not really for Axl and Izzy (but yes of course for Axl and Izzy) but because the Stones should be ashamed of themselves for not playing this masterpiece more often.

PS

Watched this last night, the whole show of,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeunKztKRn0&list=RDSeunKztKRn0#t=292

Be warned: you will need a new pair of underpants.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Tower blocks - hideous. In general though, it is typically British. You could have a number of British old farts of a certain era and they could say the same about any decade you care to pick. It is an Englishman's birthright to moan like this. I could make an argument for example in five minutes why the '70's and '80s were worse than the '60s - the 1980's was an appalling decade of excruciating music, fashion and urban turmoil.

In general it is a symptom of our post-imperialism: no matter what comes next, it will always be shitter than what was before.

It is actually a fairly right wing documentary. Did you notice the pro-Thatcher stance. Apparently Wilson and Callaghan and vetoed something or other which Thatcher promptly signed off on, ending in an instant one of the major problems (I cannot remember what it was now).

I sort of, 70% agreed with them but I'm never going to agree with them about Hurst's goal. It was over! Also, they rather dodged over the music, surely the 1960's enduring legacy? No amount of citing the sales figures for Rolf and Humperdink is going to mask over the fact that there was a lot of excellent music produced. (I'm surprised they never mentioned the fact that the Sound of Music was the decade's biggest selling album!).

I also watched a documentary on Bowie and Ziggy Stardust. Could never get away with Bowie and all of that Slade, Sweet shite. I do like Queen however. I do not understand what all these 'Ziggy' bollocks was about, all these aging homosexuals like Elton and Marc Almond eulogising it.

Thing about Ziggy Stardust was that though it was conceptually a load of bollocks you'd forgive it regardless cuz the music was so fantastic, i mean Suffragette City and that? Brilliant stuff.

The Hurst goal was just them trying to maintain some semblence of consistency of perspective. I think the observations about commerce and the commodifying of culture rooted in the 60s is really quite astute.

As for the much excellent music produced i agree with you but like, and try this yourself if you like, talk to people from the era, especially birds as they made up a high percentage of the record buying public, you hear a lot less of Beatles Stones and Who as you'd expect and a lot more The Hollies, Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch and Dusty Springfield and a lot of what is basically just pop fluff type music.

Of UK number one albums sold, The Beatles tops the list (ten albums), followed by Elvis (five), The Shadows (five), The Stones (four), Cliff and Dylan. It is fairly representative of buying habits in the 1960s and only really Cliff Richards is going to make you cringe on that list today (granted, Elvis was in his mainstream soundtrack era). You have the three 1960s giants on there, Beatles, Stones and Dylan.

Of UK number one albums sold, The Beatles tops the list (ten albums), followed by Elvis (five), The Shadows (five), The Stones (four), Cliff and Dylan. It is fairly representative of buying habits in the 1960s and only really Cliff Richards is going to make you cringe on that list today (granted, Elvis was in his mainstream soundtrack era). You have the three 1960s giants on there, Beatles, Stones and Dylan.

Most people i know with record collections that were kids in the 60s the stuff they actually got in the 60s was singles. A lot of people were too conservative for The Stones.

Edited by Len B'stard

And Ken Dodd had the third best selling, which is to my point, i mean im not saying that those bands didnt sell massively cuz they obviously did but at the same time theres a great deal of people that didnt go for all that sexy stonesy subversivey stuff, there were a lot of nice young girls and boys quite turned off by al that stuff, despite all that sexual revolution bollocks there was still a great many conservative people in this country that went for like...Tom Jones and that.

Well the charts have always been a mixture of novelty songs and mainstream naffness. You have different demographics. People in their thirties would probably be more inclined to purchase an Elvis album than people in their late teens/early twenties who perhaps would be more liable to by a Rolling Stones album.

Len will be happy with me. I watched The Filth and the Fury.

PS

I watched The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle also - I'd never seen it before actually, outside clips. Jesus, that is two hours of my life I'm never going to get back; terrible; a disordered mess of a movie. In my defense, it was difficult to recover from the sight of McLaren in a bathtub with his bollocks on show. What was the idea behind that punk dwarf and that wanker in the cinema who starts singing like he is spasticated? The only good bits were Vicious's ''so moronic they're funny'' moments - Sid you could argue steals the film - and the cartoons.

Edited by DieselDaisy