What's worse, giving Robin Finck guitar solos when you have Buckethead in the band or giving Christine McVie lead vocals when you've got Stevie Nicks?

GivenToFly

The question came to my mind as I was listening to Fleetwood Mac's self titled, while hearing the songs with Christine McVie on lead and thinking every single one of these would sound better with Stevie Nicks singing.

Also, what other albums have musicians criminally underused in favour of much inferior musicians?

Edited by GivenToFly
  • Like 1

How is Christine McVie a subpar musician if Stevie bangs a fucking tambourine and Christine played the piano on most of their hit songs?

I think someone who plays guitar with heart and will play bum notes will still get recognized over a virtuoso who gets it perfect but if there's no emotion in it? There's an audience for it. Buckethead did know how to play with emotion as much as technique, plenty of examples in his catalog.

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 1

This isn't even a discussion. Christine McVie is an excellent singer, and her songs in Fleetwood Mac are excellent. Have you ever heard Songbird, Don't Stop, Over My Head? Stevie Nicks is VASTLY overrated (she is good, but I've never understood why people treat her like a god) and the downfall of that band. Christine was able to play with the boys. Not to mention, Stevie hasn't been able to sing her best songs properly in at least 20 years whereas Christine still sounds great.

Now Bucket and Finck? Finck is very good, but Bucket is a great player. While I maybe don't prefer either guitarist over the other, I'm far more interested in what Bucket's gonna play than Robin. You just don't know.

People prefer Stevie Nicks because she is - was, in her heyday - a piece of arse. She epitomised the Californian '70s look for lots of randy young men. In contrast, Christine is a sort of, frumpy English lady. That is about it really; stuff like musicianship and songwriting is all academic.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I guess I totally answered the question wrong.

I don't dig Fleetwood enough to comment on that one.

Robin and Bucket. I kind of liked their contrast. On one side you had Robin playing his heart out, falling down every now and then, missing a chord here or there. On the other side you had Buckethead killing it like a well oiled machine. I thought they worked off each other pretty good. I thought CD balanced them about right.

Edited by J Dog

I guess I totally answered the question wrong.

I don't dig Fleetwood enough to comment on that one. Because they're a load of shit.

Robin and Bucket. I kind of liked their contrast. On one side you had Robin playing his heart out, falling down every now and then, missing a chord here or there. On the other side you had Buckethead killing it like a well oiled machine. I thought they worked off each other pretty good. I thought CD balanced them about right.

Fixed :D

• Like 1