Slash: "The 3 greatest frontmans of all time are Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler and Axl Rose."

Not a big fan of Freddie myself and it's all about opinions, so I get that. He wouldn't be in my top 10 neither, because I have to like the music first to like the frontman of a band. Artistically wise, not on a personal level, of course.

I'm not a huge Queen fan myself but would like to know some of their greatest (videotaped) live performances. I'd be interested to check these out.

Axl was a great showman like Freddy. You can really see how Elton and Freddy played and influence (esp. during Illusion tour)

I'm not a huge Queen fan myself but would like to know some of their greatest (videotaped) live performances. I'd be interested to check these out.

Axl was a great showman like Freddy. You can really see how Elton and Freddy played and influence (esp. during Illusion tour)

Check Out: Milton Keynes '82, Rainbow '74 and Montreal '81. They are the best officially released Queen shows.
  • Like 1

Freddie Mercury over Steven Tyler.

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....at the end of the day when you`re up there performing before a major audience behaving like a straight alpha male is just as important as the music , I mean that`s just another reason why I liked the original GnR in the first place , Slash jumpin 10 feet ramps and axl runnin like hell ( when on top of their game they didn`t even mess up the songs in the process)

I too prefer Steven Tyler over Mercury, but who cares if a frontman is gay or not? Cause Axl wasn't never "gay" at all...

4964306478_60f30cb5f5_z.jpg

Edited by jekylhyde

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....

Probably one of the stupidest things ever written on this forum.

pretty sure that should earn him a ban...just sayin

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....

You can say whatever you want but generally speaking pretty much 3 things must happen in order to make a band/artist mainstream , sell millions of records or its millennial equivalent (itunes , spotify , pandora , yt views i`m sure they`ll find a way to count torrent downloads as well....)

1. Spend serious money for promotion wheather you are rich and you can afford to do it yourself (paul allen) or David Geffen does that for you it doesn`t matter.

2. You need a hit , something that wins the minds and the hearts of potential fans right of the bat

3. People should be able to identify themselves in the artist , its music and his behaving in general , ideally even in a sexual way (female audience today very important , bieber is gayer than Mercury but he`s essentially banking and banking hard on female audiences never targeted before in such an aggressive way - great marketing work btw-

4. Tour , being able to at the very least replicate what you did on the album in a consistent manner , plus being an energetic motherfucker on cocaine while on stage won`t hurt.

Now I can`t identify myself with this

I_Want_To_Break_Free.jpg

It`s not homophobia or queenphobia I wouldn`t be able to identify myself with this either

b33397f32f0bd3b5bbfb387efdeb722d.jpg

I sort of accepted with Axl just because he behaved like a motherfucker on cocaine while on stage plus having immediate access to the latter shows also played a part in this.

Even Slash expressed the same concept in different occasions over time :

``SCOM is the gayest song you could write``

``November Rain is a gay song``

``We were different from Poison and all the other gay bands``

``When I auditioned with Poison they were much more interested in what kind of shoes i`d wear , the whole spandex , makeup gay shit was going on in LA back then``

``Motley Crue was the original , all the other bands felt sort of gay``

``Glee is worse than Grease and Grease is bad enough . I look at Grease now and think, Between High School Musical and Glee, Grease was a work of art

``"I never played on (Black Or White'). If you listen to (the hook), that's gay. I'd never play that."

Once again I have nothing against homosexual people , but then again it`s me and my opinion as a `` buyer`` or a music consumer if you will ... when i think of rock n roll i think ACDC , Pantera , Metallica , Megadeth , Led Zeppelin , Black Sabbath , Frank Zappa , Hendrix , SRV , Zakk Wylde , Randy Rhoads with Ozzy , Gojira , Klevertak , Jeff Beck , Cream , Alter Bridge Buddy Guy , BB King (RIP) , DIO , Alice in Chains , Pearl Jam ,Wolf , Deep Purple , UFO , Pink Floyd , Free , RATM , Sepultura , Avenged Sevenfold , Dylan , Cheap Trick ...........and obvously GnR

Edited by gianluca93

I admit he sounded like he really meant that. pretty cool. I have been off the Slash band wagon for a very long time but it would be nice too see them make peace at some point.

You can say whatever you want but generally speaking pretty much 3 things must happen in order to make a band/artist mainstream , sell millions of records or its millennial equivalent (itunes , spotify , pandora , yt views i`m sure they`ll find a way to count torrent downloads as well....)

1. Spend serious money for promotion wheather you are rich and you can afford to do it yourself (paul allen) or David Geffen does that for you it doesn`t matter.

2. You need a hit , something that wins the minds and the hearts of potential fans right of the bat

3. People should be able to identify themselves in the artist , its music and his behaving in general , ideally even in a sexual way (female audience today very important , bieber is gayer than Mercury but he`s essentially banking and banking hard on female audiences never targeted before in such an aggressive way - great marketing work btw-

4. Tour , being able to at the very least replicate what you did on the album in a consistent manner , plus being an energetic motherfucker on cocaine while on stage won`t hurt.

I_Want_To_Break_Free.jpg

It`s not homophobia or queenphobia I wouldn`t be able to identify myself with this either

I sort of accepted with Axl just because he behaved like a motherfucker on cocaine while on stage plus having immediate access to the latter shows also played a part in this.

``When I auditioned with Poison they were much more interested in what kind of shoes i`d wear , the whole spandex , makeup gay shit was going on in LA back then``

``Glee is worse than Grease and Grease is bad enough . I look at Grease now and think, Between High School Musical and Glee, Grease was a work of art

``"I never played on (Black Or White'). If you listen to (the hook), that's gay. I'd never play that."

Once again I have nothing against homosexual people , but then again it`s me and my opinion as a `` buyer`` or a music consumer if you will ... when i think of rock n roll i think ACDC , Pantera , Metallica , Megadeth , Led Zeppelin , Black Sabbath , Frank Zappa , Hendrix , SRV , Zakk Wylde , Randy Rhoads with Ozzy , Gojira , Klevertak , Jeff Beck , Cream , Alter Bridge Buddy Guy , BB King (RIP) , DIO , Alice in Chains , Pearl Jam ,Wolf , Deep Purple , UFO , Pink Floyd , Free , RATM , Sepultura , Avenged Sevenfold , Dylan , Cheap Trick ...........and obvously GnR

ban pls

Showing a still from the I Want To Break Free video, which was a fun and lighthearted satire from a TV show is a good sign of how you don't know anything about Queen, at all.So you shouldn't try to discuss it or Mercury considering how clueless you seem.

Long story short :don't try to justify your homophobia pls

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

Fuck, there have been so many great frontmen. Mick Jagger, Axl Rose, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Scott, Brian Johnson... There's many more. All born to perform. Arguing which is better is utterly pointless.

But it's cool to see Slash put Axl so high in his list.

Edited by username

I'm not a huge Queen fan myself but would like to know some of their greatest (videotaped) live performances. I'd be interested to check these out. Axl was a great showman like Freddy. You can really see how Elton and Freddy played and influence (esp. during Illusion tour)

There's really only one show to convert you: Live Aid.

You have all these powerhouse bands playing to this colossal arena of people. Most of the bands do okay.

And then here comes Queen. Freddie so perfectly entrances the gigantic crowd. He has them eating out of his hand in minutes.

The other acts looked like rank amateurs next to what Freddie did.

Freddie Mercury over Steven Tyler.

So you don't like Bowie, Elton, Trex, Mother Love Bone etc because they're affeminant males and there for don't fit into your predispositioned rock and roll image that all rock n roll artists should fit into?

If so, you're a complete idiot.

Mercury is the greatest frontman of all time.

I_Want_To_Break_Free.jpg

So Cheap Trick is rock n roll, but not Queen or Judas Priest because their frontman happens to be a homosexual? Seriously??

• Like 1

I_Want_To_Break_Free.jpg

And I thought your previous post was stupid.

Keep digging that hole.

I don't think Mercury is the greatest frontman of all time, but if you dismiss him because he's effeminate onstage then you also have to dismiss Mick Jagger, Prince, David Bowie, Perry Farrell, T Rex, Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, Scott Weiland (in his prime, at least) and countless other famous rock n' roll figures who acted, ahem, "homosexual" on stage, by your standards at least.

You used a photo of Queen in drag as proof that they're not rock n' roll, then said Led Zeppelin is one of your favourite bands. Thoughts on this?

http://www.feelnumb.com/2009/07/30/robert-plant-photos/

• Like 2