Slash: "The 3 greatest frontmans of all time are Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler and Axl Rose."

It's obviously an opinion to choose ones favorite frontman or performer. I feel Freddy had an effortless approach to his stage presence, where as Axl brought everything he had and you could see that's what he was doing. Both are incredible and belong in a league of their own.

Axl is my favorite though. There is an emotional level that Axl expresses that I don't see with Freddy.

I saw some great Freddy performances posted. So why not Axl's?

Edited by IncitingChaos

I love my European friends on this forum, but I will say that most of you are unable to have an open discussion about Freddie. To most of you, he is without a doubt the best frontman of all time, which is great. But what some of you just don't understand is that here in America he didn't translate as well to us. Honestly, I would say Plant, Roger Daltry, Ozzy,Jagger, and bowie all translated better to American audiences. That doesn't make them better nor worse than Freddie, it just is what it is. But what I think has happened here in this thread is that many of you just plain to refuse to accept anyone else as number 1 except for Mercury. Which come in now, it is all subjective. Slash doesn't have him in his top 3, which is fine. Many people don't, that doesn't make them wrong, it just means they have a different opinion.

Freddie Mercury
Then Axl Rose
Then Steven Tyler

Freddie Mercury over Steven Tyler.

No Freddy?

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....at the end of the day when you`re up there performing before a major audience behaving like a straight alpha male is just as important as the music , I mean that`s just another reason why I liked the original GnR in the first place , Slash jumpin 10 feet ramps and axl runnin like hell ( when on top of their game they didn`t even mess up the songs in the process)

Lol and he got banned, probably because this post :lol:

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....

Probably one of the stupidest things ever written on this forum.

nah, i've seen way worse

You banned him personally or?

No Freddy?

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....at the end of the day when you`re up there performing before a major audience behaving like a straight alpha male is just as important as the music , I mean that`s just another reason why I liked the original GnR in the first place , Slash jumpin 10 feet ramps and axl runnin like hell ( when on top of their game they didn`t even mess up the songs in the process)

axl_rose_anos_80_20100807_1984387433.jpg936full-axl-rose.jpg

I can't believe that this turned out to be a Queen topic or how "gay" a frontman could look in the 80's...

Btw Freddie looks more "gay" in the 70's, but he wrote better songs in the 70's

Anyway, he was the greatest male singer of all time in Rock

He was the reason for me when i was 5-6 to understand that being gay does not make you an "evil creature" (aka. i was not being homophobic ever in my lifetime)

/thread for me

Edited by Strange Broue

I love my European friends on this forum, but I will say that most of you are unable to have an open discussion about Freddie. To most of you, he is without a doubt the best frontman of all time, which is great. But what some of you just don't understand is that here in America he didn't translate as well to us. Honestly, I would say Plant, Roger Daltry, Ozzy,Jagger, and bowie all translated better to American audiences. That doesn't make them better nor worse than Freddie, it just is what it is. But what I think has happened here in this thread is that many of you just plain to refuse to accept anyone else as number 1 except for Mercury. Which come in now, it is all subjective. Slash doesn't have him in his top 3, which is fine. Many people don't, that doesn't make them wrong, it just means they have a different opinion.

100% American here and Freddie is still number one.

This reminds me of college sports where the fans of every team always hold up a number 1 in support of their team. Even when their team is dead last. In the minds of fans, there is no universal number one. Say it, scream it....whichever you want. It still doesn't make you right.

Edited by Rustycage
  • Like 1

This reminds me of college sports where the fans of every team always hold up a number 1 in support of their team. Even when their team is dead last. In the minds of fans, there is no universal number one. Say it, scream it....whichever you want. It still doesn't make you right.

It's just a natural thing for people to get attached emotionally to a person they really love or a piece of art that's important for them cause it made them feel good and maybe even came right at the right time in their lives, like in their childhood or that artist expressed perfectly what they were going through at the time.

Fans are...fanatics. That does limit them sometimes when it comes to seeing the quality of what they enjoy objectively which isn't the point anyway cause it's not like sports as good art just reflects the artist that created it or a snapshot of what they felt while creating it, so if I relate to it and it makes me feel like it's the best for me, it works for me, then comparison to other forms of art is irrelevant.

Edited by Rovim

It just a natural thing for people to get attached emotionally to a person they really love or a piece of art that's important for them cause it make them feel good and maybe even came right at the right time in their lives, like in their childhood or that artist expressed perfectly what they were going through at the time.

Fans are...fanatics. That does limit them sometimes when it comes to seeing the quality of what they enjoy objectively which isn't the point anyway cause it's not like sports as good art just reflects the artist that created it or a snapshot of what they felt while creating it, so if I relate to it and it makes me feel like it's the best for me, it works for me, then comparison to other forms of art is irrelevant.

The sports analogy is only regarding how everyone thinks they are right about what THEY like when there is no right or wrong. It's a worthless tug of war to act like one opinion is higher than the other.

Pizza is number 1!!!

Fuck you. Tacos are!

Hurp durp.

Also, I find it humorous how we get into discussions about claims of Slash being a liar or always badmouthing Axl and here's a case where he gives him more praise yet again and it turns into fanboys bitching that he didn't put Mercury at number 1. Then it turns into a pissing match as to who thinks who is best. No one cares, special snowflakes.

I don't think Slash is a liar. I think he's way more normal compared to Axl for example, and gave his honest opinion in this interview and also the other recent positive ones.

He is past the shit. He moved on. I don't think he hates Axl or will have any problem of sorting shit out privately.

He probably did fuck up when he was in Guns, but Axl had his fair share of epic fuck ups as well.

Problem is, it was 20 years ago so it shouldn't really matter imo. Not enough to warrant such hate and bitterness from Axl.

Here's Slash, saying only positive things about a guy he probably considers to be the best musical partner he ever had and I sense he just wants to end the feud. This is what normal people strive to do imo.

Officially, I will say that I don't know the full story cause Axl ain't really sharing it, but whatever shit Slash pulled in the past is not likely to be a good enough of a reason for Axl's out of proportion reaction.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

It is actually not historically true that 'America has never liked Queen'. Queen played Madison Square Garden in 1977 during their peak period. They were one of the biggest bands there. 1980's The Game was actually bigger stateside than it was in the United Kingdom. It is more true that, America dramatically fell out of love with Queen during the Hot Space/Works period (1982-84), and never quite recovered her fondness until Wayne's World and arguably, never. Queen reciprocated by basically refusing to play America. This was paradoxically when Queen were at their commercial peak elsewhere, becoming a stadium act in new territories such as South America and behind the Iron Curtain.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Ive read some of the dumbest shit in this thread...

:thumbsup:

Telling somebody their own personal preference (opinion) is wrong.....it's just laughable.

Yeah like our Chinese Democracy debates, ha!

Telling somebody their own personal preference (opinion) is wrong.....it's just laughable.

Except we both agree that CD is incredible.

And in that case, you're both wrong!

And in that case, you're both wrong!

Because we know the album's utter fetid shit.

Freddie Mercury

Then Axl Rose

Then Steven Tyler

No Freddy?

Lol and he got banned, probably because this post :lol:

No way!! He was just too feminine onstage , with the body language and his gay persona...gayness and rock n roll don`t go along well ....

Probably one of the stupidest things ever written on this forum.

nah, i've seen way worse

You banned him personally or?

i did not ban him. i haven't looked at the logs but i'm assuming he either said something inflammatory, or he was an alt account.

It is actually not historically true that 'America has never liked Queen'. Queen played Madison Square Garden in 1977 during their peak period. They were one of the biggest bands there. 1980's The Game was actually bigger stateside than it was in the United Kingdom. It is more true that, America dramatically fell out of love with Queen during the Hot Space/Works period (1982-84), and never quite recovered her fondness until Wayne's World and arguably, never. Queen reciprocated by basically refusing to play America. This was paradoxically when Queen were at their commercial peak elsewhere, becoming a stadium act in new territories such as South America and behind the Iron Curtain.

Just to clear it up, in my end, I never said queen were never big here in America, because they were. You are pretty much dead on about when they were big here and when they were not. All of their stuff post 1982 or so never really did much over here, you never here any of those songs on the radio, except for under pressure, that was queens last American hit I believe.