Attack on Titan

Generally speaking, I do not watch anime. I used to when I was much younger (Kenshin, Bebop, Trigun, FMA, etc.), and I genuinely haven't watched an anime in 8+ years........ a friend threw on the first episode of AoT at my place, and I begrudgingly began watching. The first episode has a few hooks, but is mostly pretty slow - though it intrigued me (same thing happened with GoT for me actually). Anyway, 4 days later, I've finished the first season, all 25 episodes.

Short plot summary: Humankind lives within a series of large walls as a protective means against human-eating beings known as "Titans." Titans are human-like in appearance, but are much larger, being anywhere from 5 meters to 50 meters tall. They eat humans purely out of recreation, and have no sustenance requirements. The first season focuses on a teenager who decides to try to fight back while most of humankind has given up.

The series is graphic in it's violence, and it is purposely emotionally enthralling. It feels a lot like Game of Thrones.... you get afraid for characters, and genuinely, "no one knows how things will turn out." A quote often recited by a character on the show.

It's on Netflix, and if you've ever watched anime before (or even if you haven't but this concept intrigues you), I highly recommend watching the first 2-3 episodes to see if it's for you. 4.5/5 stars on Netflix, I compared that to other popular shows/movies ratings, the only other 4.5 I could find was Sherlock, everything else I saw was lower. Even Top Gear only had a 4.1!

Anyone here watched it yet?

I love the anime and I don't even watch anime like so many people who watch this show. The story is so compelling and you get close to the characters who die on a more alarming rate than Game of Thrones.

I am not interested in the movie though. I find it strange the cast is Japanese while the anime they are clearly European, mostly German. The only Japanese character is Mikasa who is the most bad ass character ever.

I love the anime and I don't even watch anime like so many people who watch this show. The story is so compelling and you get close to the characters who die on a more alarming rate than Game of Thrones.

I am not interested in the movie though. I find it strange the cast is Japanese while the anime they are clearly European, mostly German. The only Japanese character is Mikasa who is the most bad ass character ever.

Captain Levi is pretty badass, even if he (and Erwin) are soulless monsters. Though like Armin says.... you have to discard your humanity and become a monster in order to fight monsters.

I did see the trailer, agree that it felt a bit odd - as like you mentioned, in the anime it's very clearly an amalgamation of pre-Titan cultures/nationalities that make up the citizens within the walls. Jaegar, Ludwig, Hans, Levi, etc. lots of German. Some French like Jean and others.

Theories (I haven't read the manga, so some of this is possibly already explained):

Alright, so clearly Eren's dad at some point injected Annie as well.... looked to be around the time he did it to Eren too given how old Annie looked in the flashback; I guess Eren and Annie are half siblings, as the shadowed figure (who I'm assuming is Dr. Jaegar) kept referring to himself as "dad" in relation to Annie. So this guy started two different families (or more?), hid them from each other, so that he could experiment on multiple children? Jeez. No idea where he is now.....

As far as the Armored Titan, and the Colossal Titan - I really don't know. Maybe the government? Maybe Titans were secretly created by some international governmental group in an attempt to unite humanity? I can't think of any characters we've been introduced to who would fit as suspects for being either.

Also interesting, if you look closely in episode 23 when Armin is asking Annie for help, when she turns around, she puts the ring on..... I randomly realized that today in the middle of an unrelated conversation with someone today, lol.

EDIT: Also, just want to state I did start suspecting it was Annie midway through the 57th Expedition.... I think they wanted to the viewer to discover it themselves before presenting it pointblank.

And that shot of Petra they kept going to, where shes slumped up forward against that tree.... lifeless... man talk about gruesome.

There's been a few translation issues, the only time I really couldn't figure out what they were talking about, was when Armin (and I forget who else) was discussing something about "conveniences" in relation to which "conveniences" are attributed to each person..... something like that, don't recall exactly. Just remember rewatching 3-4 times and not really getting it. Other than that, everything has been fairly decipherable. My only other complaint, is the character reactions/emotions sometimes go way over the top, but I guess that just sort of goes with the style of anime, got used to it by midway through the season.

It's a great commentary on crisis/catastrophe situations though, and how people react, and then deal with those reactions. A lot about natural human character too.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

If you guys like anime please watch Steins;Gate. It's fucking great.

My favourite anime. So far at least, I've yet to watch FMA: Brotherhood which according to several online polls is the greatest anime ever.

And it is. Netflix needs to get the last 13 or so episodes up.

It's not the popular opinion, but I prefer dubbed. I watched all of FMA Brotherhood subbed though, as the dubbed version wasn't available at the time.

If anyone is interested in Digimon, Netflix has the English version from Fox and the original Japanese version.

Edited by luciusfunk

Mikasa is my favorite character.

She's definitely up there for me, but Capt. Levi hands down.

My favourite anime. So far at least, I've yet to watch FMA: Brotherhood which according to several online polls is the greatest anime ever.

I was actually a big FMA fan when I was younger, I'll have to check this out.

Not enough people give anime a chance.

I'd like to watch this sometime soon.

Do it, right now, watch the first 2-3, and I promise you won't regret it.

On the subject of Anime, you guys watch subbed or dubbed versions? Most movies I've seen have been dubbed while the series I watch subbed.

Prefer subbed.

Mikasa is that one Asian chick all the guys wants to bang but none of them could because she can fuck them all up, including Levi. She really wants Eren though.

I prefer subs too. Even if I think it is weird seeing Europeans speak Japanese. Would make more sense if they spoke French or German.

Mikasa is that one Asian chick all the guys wants to bang but none of them could because she can fuck them all up, including Levi. She really wants Eren though.

No shot, Levi was even too fast for Annie (Titan form). The OVA's show Levi's history, the guy is a combo of absurd natural talent + pent up rage from <spoiler>. (Watch the last two OVA's).

I used to watch more anime when I was younger, like dragonball and yuyu hakusho.

Yup, watched both of those. Come to think of it, I watched quite a lot of anime when I was younger.