Buckethead Recommendations, Please!

BetterDay7

Okay, as a relative Newbie I've become quite interested in Buckethead and would like to start buying some of his solo stuff.

I haven't a clue where to start! I've read a bit about him, people raving about his playing and thought I'd give him a whirl.

Musically, I like... deep breath... David Bowie, Kate Bush, G nR (obvs), Genesis (up to Duke but not much after), Michael Jackson, hip hop, Marvin Gaye, Blur, Led Zepp, AC/DC (Bon Scott era), some ambient stuff, some jazz, quite a lot of classical, esp classical guitar...

I know that's a mish mash but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:wacko:

Edited by BetterDay7

All of his stuff is amazing, his music just blows ur mind, try to listen to his songs on youtube

Search for Welcome to Buckethead Land, Jordan, Nottingham lace, I love my parents, For mom, Soothsayer

He is releasing pikes like every week, it has some amazing music

If he stayed in GNR he could have a lot of stuff, such a shame Axl doesn't knows how to handle people or well he doesn't even knows how to handle himself

• Like 2

I prefer his older regular albums to the Pikes series. Soothsayer is one of the best songs of all time. Buckethead is amazing.

Agreed. But Maggot Brain is the best song of all time. (instrumental division) I like his recent There Was A Time-like solo though. Highlight part is from 6:00 to the 6:45 mark.

Also from 7:28 to 7:45

And from the 10:00 minute mark he's just all bluesy greatness. BetterDay7: please follow these instructions closely for maximum effect.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I like his more chilled out stuff.

Coat of Charms (the whole album)

Colma (the song Whitewash in particularly)

Electric Tears

Final Bend of the Labyrinth (the whole thing)

Infiniti Hill (more alternative rock influenced than chilled)

Monument Valley

Oh, boy, so much shit to post. Hopefully I'll remember most of them.

Let's see...

King James

Nottingham Lace

Lotus Island

Goblin Shark

Passageways

Look up there

Golden eyes

Rising Sun

Soothsayer

Sail On Soothsayer

Padmasana

Dawn Appears

Crack The Sky

Jordan

Inferno

Asylum Of Glass

Firebird

Machete

Glow Worm

Dissecto

Hold Me Forever

Flare

Northern Lights.

Those are some of my favorites, but like I said, he has TOO much stuff out, so... it's hard to remember 'em all.

Regular albums to check out:

Population Override - specific songs: Too Many Humans, Earth Heals Herself

The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock - specific songs: Final Wars, Gigan

Captain EO's Voyage (impossible to find on CD, but a great album anyway) - specific songs: The Siphoning Sequence, Dancing the Dream

Shadows Between the Sky (same as above) - specific songs: Sled Ride, Cookies For Santa, Shadows Between The Sky

Crime Slunk Scene - specific songs: Soothsayer, King James, Electronic Slight of Hand

Check out the album by Giant Robot (Buckethead/Brain) called "Siren 19", it's unreleased but you can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fa9svhptkto6w6s/AACxJtrMre_duwjnGpCtKiBha?dl=0%3Fdl%3D1

As for Pikes, I'd say start with:

Racks (A good mini-album, shorter songs and good variety)

Northern Lights (Imagine 'Soothsayer' on steroids followed by an almost Slash-like 14-min solo called 'Flare')

Infinity of the Spheres (I guess you'd call this album Bluesy? Starts out really chill then sorta kicks into gear halfway through the first song)

Leave The Light On (Shred awesomeness)

City of Ferris Wheels (Funk, lasers, chill melodies)

Shaded Ray (I love the tone of the title track)

• Like 1

Lots, lots, lots to choose from. I suggest starting with these to give you a good idea of his varying styles:

Giant Robot - Good general introduction to the Buckethead world. Has a lot of his quirky and trippy stuff.

Colma - Great collection of slower songs, some of his most beautiful ballads.

Population Override - Buckethead's blues album

Cuckoo Clocks of Hell - Over the top and insane death metal

Spinal Clock - Buckethead on banjo.

There are tons more, but these are key samples in all of the areas he plays in.

Edited by BangoSkank

That's awesome! Cheers for the help. Definitely prefer to buy cds. Might start with Colma but will check out stuff on youtube too.

Interesting refs to Captain EO and also Dancing the Dream - both titles linked to Michael Jackson...

Thanks. I will report back.

my top 20 from him (in chronological order, I think):

Welcome to Bucketheadland

Binge & Grab

Big Sur Moon

Whitewash

For Mom

Twice with the Sledge

Interworld & the New Innocence

The Ballad of Buckethead

Shadows Beneath the Sky

Fairy & the Devil

Soothsayer

We Are One

Jordan

Last Light

Fractal Shadows

The Homing Beacon

The Shores of Molokai

Ghost Coop

Hold Me Forever

Our Selves

but that's just barely scratching the surface. he has so much good material out there

Edited by rocknroll41

Thanks again. Great to see all this Buckethead enthusiasm. Briefly checked out some stuff on YouTube last night but I find on there I just end up going off into all sorts of directions! I decided to just dive in and buy an album and take it from there. I have ordered Colma.

Edited by BetterDay7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All of his stuff is amazing, his music just blows ur mind, try to listen to his songs on youtube

Search for Welcome to Buckethead Land, Jordan, Nottingham lace, I love my parents, For mom, Soothsayer

He is releasing pikes like every week, it has some amazing music

If he stayed in GNR he could have a lot of stuff, such a shame Axl doesn't knows how to handle people or well he doesn't even knows how to handle himself

I think i am in love with Buckethead now! (And I've still only bought one album - but will order more). For Mom is just beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...