Guns N' Roses - Yesterdays *VERY RARE* (LIVE at Coconut Teaszer '88) [P.O.D.]

I thought I'd heard it all, but not this one:

So before you talk shit about Axl again, don't forget that he used to belt out shit like this ;)

Much prefer this to the album cut, thanks for posting.

Can't believe this song was pretty much worked out by Jan '88, when even Lies didn't come out until Nov of that year: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/1988/coconut-teaszer-hollywood-ca-23d6c4e7.html

Would love to hear those covers of Wishing Well and Born to be Wild...

Amazing performance, thanks for posting!

Don't get your remark about Axl though, the most vocal criticisms about his performances nowadays precisely stem from the fact that he was amazing at his prime. That's because we are fans of his classic era that we are rightfully disappointed by 2011-2015 Axl.

• Like 1

Axl doesn't sing on half of those songs from that set. It's not all Slash either, mixture of several people back then.

Yeah I found a Born to be Wild where it's clearly not Axl singing, not even sure if Slash is on guitar.

Axl doesn't sing on half of those songs from that set. It's not all Slash either, mixture of several people back then.

Yeah I found a Born to be Wild where it's clearly not Axl singing, not even sure if Slash is on guitar.

Lol, the answer is in your own thread

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/204960-guns-n-roses-setlist-at-coconut-teaszer-hollywood-14th-jan-88-is-this-legit/

this YESTERDAYS live version is at least 18 times better than the album version!

STEVEN ADLER, BABY!

I am not even sure that Steven knew the song because he waits quite a while to enter in the song

this complete show is terrific, a definite MUST LISTEN

axl sings like 2 or 3 songs, the rest is sung by someone else, I am not sure its West Arkeen, Del James or who knows...

there is a cover of I GOT A LINE ON YOU on this show

its a terrific song, here is the original =

alice cooper also did a cover of that in 88 =

there is also a cover of another tremendous song, Rose Tattoo`s SCARRED FOR LIFE...

original =

unfortunately its not axl sing those but they sound GREAT anyway

there is a SENTIMENTAL MOVIE live version on this show (the only one I have ever listened to) and the singer sounds like the guy from the Black Crowes at times, but its probably West Arkeen

a real MUST LISTEN show!

just fucking great like everything GNR back then

full setlist (taken from GNR on tour = http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm88.htm)

01.14.88 - Coconut Teaszer, Hollywood, CA
set: I Got A Line On You, Wishing Well, Communication Breakdown, Scarred For Life, Sentimental Movie, Yesterdays, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Born To Be Wild, Honky Tonk Women
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: This band is known as the Drunk Fux - Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, West Arkeen & Del James. The first performance of 'Yesterdays,' Axl mentions they will try to record it next week. Axl sings lead on 'Yesterdays' & 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door,' and shares vocals on 'Honky Tonk Women.'

I Got a Line on You (Spirit cover)
Wishing Well (Free cover)
Communication Breakdown (Led Zeppelin cover)
Scarred for Life (Rose Tattoo cover)
Sentimental Movie (1987 Demo)
Yesterdays (First Live Performance)
Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan cover)
Born to Be Wild (Steppenwolf cover)
Honky Tonk Women(The Rolling Stones cover)

Note: Band was introduced as The Drunk Fux, GNR played with West Arkeen and Del James this gig

i_007.jpg

west arkeen and del james live photo (not sure if this photo is actually from the coconut teaszer 88 show)

download link = http://turbobit.net/vv4te42al13z.html

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

Yeah I never heard this either, the last 1:40 of Axl's vocals are pretty bad ass haha.

I still will always love the album version too though. When I think of Yesterdays to me it's a classic example of a short, simple, and to the point song that still conveys itself as well as any more layered, longer, and supposedly more complex songs do. But also just the lyrics of the song can resonate with any human I feel, and that paired with the visuals of the music video and knowing GNRs past it can get a bit nostalgic when listening to this song. I have always wondered when the band members hear that song/ watch the music video X amount of years later do they get sentimental ? You know those bittersweet feelings

Someone had posted the pic of Del N' Duff on Del's FB. So I asked about who the singer was and one of Del's friends had this response:

Mistre Luz:"DEL JAMES sang and fronted the group

It was a way for some of us to play our favorite songs

CANT PUT YOUR ARMS AROUND A MEMORY

DEAD FLOWERS

I don't know

I was a way to get free drinks and get away from big business protocol

I played air guitar on EMMETT CHAPMAN's hand painted '57 NATIONAL

I duck walked, played with my teeth, guitar behind my head

all eyes on me while WEST wailed with no one paying attention to him

Everybody sang a bit...but Del was the front man

Don't ferget the DRUNK FUQUETTES"