DOOM Eternal

Amir

• 1 month later...

Well, I played it and... it's not bad, but it didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. 2016 had its flaws, mainly the level design full of arenas. 

This one kinda adresses the boring arena layout from 2016, which, was the only flaw on a otherwise great SP campaign, but at the same time the levels feel kinda uninspired this time around. I'm in a loss for words to exactly tell you why I like Doom I and II's levels better.

The movement received a big improvement with the air dashes, kinda like unreal, except you can do it on the air without the need of a wall to kick.

Combat would feel a lot better WITHOUT the glory kills. Just like in Doom 4 (2016) They are cool at first, but after the 100th kill animation it starts to wear out. It doesn't help that melee attacks seem to do no damage to enemies that aren't staggered. The biggest problem is that you run outta ammo kinda fast and just have to use the chainsaw (which is still a scripted weapon) everytime you need ammo and it feels gimmicky at times. Oh, well. At least I'm playing on PC so I can mod glory kills and the scriptchainsaw outta the game. I don't really dislike the glory kills, but you end up using it on every single enemy, even lowly-cannon-fodder-zombies because it gives you resources.

Soundtrack and art direction are the high point for me. Some nice 8 string metal tunes and classical designs making a comeback make for a nice fanservice. This game is also more colorful and less dark, which is a breath of fresh air for an industry stuffed with shooters featuring poorly lit enviroments and dessaturated colors.

The story is... who cares really?

I would give it a 7.5/10.

Finally completed the game on Ultra-Violence. Bloody brilliant, a masterpiece of first-person shooter game design. Exhilarating to the point of exhaustion, I had to take frequent breaks to stop my heart pounding out my chest.

With DOOM 2016 I could spend hours at a time playing the game, but with Eternal I think the most I managed was an hour at a time. There were moments I'd pass a checkpoint and enter a motherfucker of an arena and just quick to desktop because I knew I was too tired to properly play. That said, I still think Eternal is far superior.

Loved the lore which is something I'm not normally into, but I'm a sucker for riffs on Judaeo-Christian mythology. My first (and favourite) Sandman comic was Season of Mists and I read through the Preacher series years ago. I've ordered the physical version of the art book after downloading the free sample of the e-book, can't wait to get my hands on it. In 2016 I wasn't that diligent about going through the Codex but here it a) provided a welcome respite and b) had kick-ass artwork.

I wasn't against them going third-person for certain cutscenes, but I felt the direction for a lot of these scenes was quite flat, with the best ones sticking to the first-person view.

28 minutes ago, Amir said:

Finally completed the game on Ultra-Violence. Bloody brilliant, a masterpiece of first-person shooter game design. Exhilarating to the point of exhaustion, I had to take frequent breaks to stop my heart pounding out my chest.

With DOOM 2016 I could spend hours at a time playing the game, but with Eternal I think the most I managed was an hour at a time. There were moments I'd pass a checkpoint and enter a motherfucker of an arena and just quick to desktop because I knew I was too tired to properly play. That said, I still think Eternal is far superior.

Loved the lore which is something I'm not normally into, but I'm a sucker for riffs on Judaeo-Christian mythology. My first (and favourite) Sandman comic was Season of Mists and I read through the Preacher series years ago. I've ordered the physical version of the art book after downloading the free sample of the e-book, can't wait to get my hands on it. In 2016 I wasn't that diligent about going through the Codex but here it a) provided a welcome respite and b) had kick-ass artwork.

I wasn't against them going third-person for certain cutscenes, but I felt the direction for a lot of these scenes was quite flat, with the best ones sticking to the first-person view.

I think that the fully upgraded flaming meathook on the super shotgun may well be the greatest invention in gaming history. :D 

• Like 1

Did you guys play that Doom 64 that came with the game? 

It has some lost levels on it and, believe it or not, they give us some lore that links doom 64 to doom 2016.

It's official Doom 64 is Doom 3.

The timeline would be:

Doom (and the Ultimate Doom) > Doom 2  (which includes TNT evilution and Plutonia)> Doom 64 (3) > Doom 2016 (4) > Doom Eternal (5)

I'm not sure, but I think Doom 3 is a retelling of Doom 1, with that in mind, it goes like this:

Doom and Doom 3 (and Ultimate Doom) > Doom Ressurection of evil > Doom 2  (which includes TNT evilution and Plutonia)> Doom 64 (3) > Doom 2016 (4) > Doom Eternal (5)

What do you guys think?

Is Doom 3 and RoE part of the timeline?

Perhaps it happened between Doom 2 and 64? Maybe between 64 and 2016?

I still have my Doom 64 on my old N64, and I still play it!

• 7 months later...