Slash is a Liar - can you clarify or put into better context?

Apollo

A couple years ago in a post on here you mentioned that Slash liked to tell little white lies to try and look cool.

Unfortunately, that comment has stuck with and been applied to Slash like it's his lifetime MO.

So now, anytime that a new Slash interview comes out, these petty posters use the "he is a liar" comment to downgrade what Slash is saying. And again, unfortunately, once people repeat something over and over and over - even if it is false or taken out of context - the statement actually starts to become part of that person's history.

Pretty much everybody exaggerates stories (especially those of the past) to make things more interesting or entertaining. Most people aren't doing it out of spite or negativity. People want to fit in, they want to make people laugh, etc. Kind of like how a guy catches a 200 pound halibut and 30 years later he's telling his grandchildren about his 300 pound fish that he caught on a trout pole. Technically he is lying, but really he is just making the story more entertaining.

Can you clarify your statement that Slash is a liar? Maybe give it some context or tell us what you really meant.

I really get tired of seeing the "haters" constantly use the "slash is a liar" statement when it probably isn't even true.

I have cleared this up many times. Here is an example. In the past Slash has said that he doesn't like playing SCOM because it's a ballad but I know that he is proud of it and now plays it in every gig he does. Trying to look cool by saying he doesn't like it. He is not the first guitar player to do that, Joe Perry used to do the same thing with Dream On. The difference is SCOM is a much better song Slashs riff and guitar solos are off the charts.

• Like 2

And again, unfortunately, once people repeat something over and over and over - even if it is false or taken out of context - the statement actually starts to become part of that person's history.

^^^ This happens to many people and I'm sure you know that Slash, in the GN'R world, isn't exactly the biggest victim of this kind of situations ...

I really get tired of seeing the "haters" constantly use the "slash is a liar" statement when it probably isn't even true.

What's a liar?

Someone who somewhere in time lied?

Someone who only says lies?

I bet almost everybody it's between this two situations ... I never saw anyone calling Slash a liar as someone who only says lies.

So people should officially put the "slash is a liar" thing to REST.

You are making a dificult question to Marc ... the world isn't black and white.

And again, unfortunately, once people repeat something over and over and over - even if it is false or taken out of context - the statement actually starts to become part of that person's history.

^^^ This happens to many people and I'm sure you know that Slash, in the GN'R world, isn't exactly the biggest victim of this kind of situations ...

What's a liar?

Someone who somewhere in time lied?

Someone who only says lies?

I bet almost everybody it's between this two situations ... I never saw anyone calling Slash a liar as someone who only says lies.

You are making a dificult question to Marc ... the world isn't black and white.

Seriously, bro?

By your logic, we can just address every single human person as "Oh, that Gunner is a liar." Because I'm sure you've lied one time in your life.

Surely you can see the difference between saying somebody told a lie once as opposed to continually labeling somebody a liar. Please tell me you see the difference.

They never will, but you can always prove them wrong by quoting Marc right there. :)

Even though it comes straight from the horse's mouth, I doubt it will matter that much.

After all, nobody could provide proof in the "Slash badmouthing Axl" topic, not one f*cking quote, and yet those same people still talk about how much Slash has badmouthed Axl.

It's a weird world we live in bro.

Seriously, bro?

By your logic, we can just address every single human person as "Oh, that Gunner is a liar." Because I'm sure you've lied one time in your life.

Surely you can see the difference between saying somebody told a lie once as opposed to continually labeling somebody a liar. Please tell me you see the difference.

What logic? I see the difference ... just watch my post.

I just don't know what do you mean when you say that some people call Slash a liar. I don't see anyone saying that Slash is always lying. What some people say is that sometimes Slash lies to look cool ... which is exactly what Marc said ... he just gave an example, it doesn't mean there's no others ...
If he says that he doesn't like playing SCOM but, actually he does .... well, looks like a lie to me. If you ask me if it is a big lie, of course it isn't. If you ask me if it makes Slash a big liar, of course it doesn't. But it's still a lie and proves that sometimes he lies to look cool ... which is what some people say about him.
So, nothing new here ...

Even though it comes straight from the horse's mouth, I doubt it will matter that much.

After all, nobody could provide proof in the "Slash badmouthing Axl" topic, not one f*cking quote, and yet those same people still talk about how much Slash has badmouthed Axl.

It's real weird. Even you said Slash badmouthed Axl:

Both guys have badmouthed the other one.

Even Slash admitted in his book, and here (4m55s):

It's really a weird world ...

It's weird how everyone does this when no one really knows what went on behind the scenes and personally between the band members. All we have are these quotes from articles and interviews. Think of any relationship you have ever had. Could you possibly even begin to put all the intricate details of all the ups and downs in that relationship even in 10 different full length books? No, you couldn't.

One quote that no one brings up is from the Axl chats, when Axl said that a lot of things Slash bitched about in the press were nothing at all like what Slash said to Axl about those very same issues. The example Axl used was the inclusion of My World on UYI II. He said that Slash told him in a private conversation that the song was a perfect ending to the album. Then in the press, he badmouthed the song and said that was Axl's own thing and no one else signed off on it.

Now, think of all the other things like that which could have happened...the Paul Huge thing? Slash said he hated Paul Huge from the very minute he met him. What if Slash had told Axl privately that he was okay with Paul?

Slash says he hated Sympathy for the Devil. What if he told Axl he loved it?

We don't know any of these details, so why are we even speculating?

• Like 1

Seriously, bro?

What logic? I see the difference ... just watch my post.

I just don't know what do you mean when you say that some people call Slash a liar. I don't see anyone saying that Slash is always lying. What some people say is that sometimes Slash lies to look cool ... which is exactly what Marc said ... he just gave an example, it doesn't mean there's no others ...

If he says that he doesn't like playing SCOM but, actually he does .... well, looks like a lie to me. If you ask me if it is a big lie, of course it isn't. If you ask me if it makes Slash a big liar, of course it doesn't. But it's still a lie and proves that sometimes he lies to look cool ... which is what some people say about him.

So, nothing new here ...

It's real weird. Even you said Slash badmouthed Axl:

Both guys have badmouthed the other one.

Even Slash admitted in his book, and here (4m55s):

It's really a weird world ...

You said "some people" say that Slash lies to look cool. One person who would actually know said it, then a bunch of Axl worshippers just repeat it like its a fact.

Should we start labeling Axl as a woman beater and say he is late for shows and that he is unprepared for shows because of rio, Bridgeport and MTV music awards? All those things happened. Do we take things that Cobain (one person) said about Axl and start repeating it as fact?

Of course not.

But that's what you and a couple do with Slash in your ongoing quest to justify everything Axl does and criticize everything Slash does.

Continually saying that Slash lies is just petty and juvenile. And to be honest, it shouldn't be allowed on a fan forum. We should all be better than that.

You said "some people" say that Slash lies to look cool. One person who would actually know said it, then a bunch of Axl worshippers just repeat it like its a fact.

Man, you look really bothered about what a couple of people say about Slash ... you say that your are not even a Slash fan or that you are more of an Axl fan than a Slash fan ... why don't you forget about those 3 ou 4 persons in the world who say "bad things" about Slash, and why don't you just look at the big picture? Slash is a worldwide recognized guitar hero ... almost everybody in the public, press and music industry loves him ... If you are hoping that 100% of the people in the world will praise/like/adore EVERYTHING about Slash, sorry but that's a little bit utopic. Absolutly no one can please everybody. That's normal. So, I just don't get why you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bothered about this.

Besides, I didn't get if you are implying that Marc can be lying about this ... Some people always looked at some Slash's attitudes as something he does to look cool ... Marc just confirmed that sometimes it happens ... I think nobody looks at this like a capital crime ... it's something that many people do ... I would say that almost everybody likes to look cool. Marc even said that some other guitar players do the same thing. Again ... why SOOOOO bothered? Looks like you want to prove that Slash is perfect. I'm not perfect, you are not perfeci, Axl is not perfect, Slash is not perfect, nobody is ... and, talking about Slash, looks like, sometimes, the guy lies to look cool. So what? ... I think you can live with that, man ... don't get so upset just because some people reminds you of that fact once in a while.

I usually don't do this, but let me quote Jose Mourinho for you: "in my country we say: 'The dogs bark and the caravan goes by,'" :lol:

So, let the "dogs bark", nothing will change Slash's status ...

Should we start labeling Axl as a woman beater and say he is late for shows and that he is unprepared for shows because of rio, Bridgeport and MTV music awards?

Many people already do that.

I don't get your point.

Do we take things that Cobain (one person) said about Axl and start repeating it as fact?

Marc is a close friend of Slash ... I don't think Kurt was a close friend of Axl.

I don't get your point.

But that's what you and a couple do with Slash in your ongoing quest to justify everything Axl does and criticize everything Slash does.

I don't justify everything Axl does. I honestly believe he's far from being a perfect person. You should look better at all of my posts. Besides, saying Slash sometimes lies to look cool as nothing to do with "justifying" Axl's attitudes. That's something that you may think I'm implying, but that's not correct. See ... we were talking about Slash, and you started talking about Axl, not me ...

Continually saying that Slash lies is just petty and juvenile. And to be honest, it shouldn't be allowed on a fan forum. We should all be better than that.

So ... you think people shouldn't be allowed to say that "sometimes Slash lies to look cool" in a GN'R forum ... but I don't see you complaining that much about people bashing Axl, GN'R and their management ... it's ok to do that, the way it's done, in a GN'R forum?

Maybe you should stop pretending you are some kind of forum's police and refrain from saying in public what should be allowed and what shouldn't be allowed, what threads should stay open and what threads should be locked.

If you want some changes to the forum rules, there's some other ways to suggest those changes.

Edited by GUNNER PT
  • Like 1

More than a liar, Slash is in my opinion, a contradictory person, sometimes bipolar... Liar is too simple of a label.

Slash is complicated, if you read his book he makes you feel like you are in a rollercoaster of emotions when it comes to Axl. His book is like, one paragraph "Axl is the love of my life, I never met anyone like him before" and the following paragraphs explain how Axl is a monster. A monster you can easily fall in love with, though.

I don't think he lies about those feelings toward Axl, but it's hard to understand where he stands with all that.

And he's not cool anymore... last interviews I've seen of him, his face is like a rock. He doesn't smile anymore, he doesn't joke around anymore. I don't know if it's because he gets nervous or upset with all the reunion questions but he's changed...

I haven't figure him out completely yet.

:shrugs:

I haven't figure him out completely yet.

:shrugs:

Maybe that's because you don't know him. We don't know Axl, Izzy, Duff, etc either (unless you are Marc)

Yeah, for sure....

Not thinking that I can figure him out as a person because that will never happen (unfortunately) but at least, it'd be cool if I could find out what are his real feelings about GN'R.....

I just watched another interview, from like a week ago, and they asked him about SCOM. This time he says he's proud of it and the legacy of GN'R.... One year ago he said he wasn't very fond of it and that it was the gayest thing ever written... so :shrugs:

At least he had the balls to add "and that gives you a good idea of how credible my opinion is..."

Edited by tinyrobot

It is not deliberate lying. Slash just says stuff to look 'cool'. I get the impression (perhaps Marc can confirm this?) that Slash read a lot of rock and guitar magazines when he was younger; he borrows the typical 'lead guitarist' persona from interviews with people like Richards and Perry. You have this persona of, the macho ballad hating lead guitarist who their finds lead singer a pain in the arse. The Sweet Child O' Mine issue is word-for-word recycled Joe Perry.

Man, you look really bothered about what a couple of people say about Slash ... you say that your are not even a Slash fan or that you are more of an Axl fan than a Slash fan ... why don't you forget about those 3 ou 4 persons in the world who say "bad things" about Slash, and why don't you just look at the big picture? Slash is a worldwide recognized guitar hero ... almost everybody in the public, press and music industry loves him ... If you are hoping that 100% of the people in the world will praise/like/adore EVERYTHING about Slash, sorry but that's a little bit utopic. Absolutly no one can please everybody. That's normal. So, I just don't get why you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bothered about this.

Besides, I didn't get if you are implying that Marc can be lying about this ... Some people always looked at some Slash's attitudes as something he does to look cool ... Marc just confirmed that sometimes it happens ... I think nobody looks at this like a capital crime ... it's something that many people do ... I would say that almost everybody likes to look cool. Marc even said that some other guitar players do the same thing. Again ... why SOOOOO bothered? Looks like you want to prove that Slash is perfect. I'm not perfect, you are not perfeci, Axl is not perfect, Slash is not perfect, nobody is ... and, talking about Slash, looks like, sometimes, the guy lies to look cool. So what? ... I think you can live with that, man ... don't get so upset just because some people reminds you of that fact once in a while.

I usually don't do this, but let me quote Jose Mourinho for you: "in my country we say: 'The dogs bark and the caravan goes by,'" :lol:

So, let the "dogs bark", nothing will change Slash's status ...

Should we start labeling Axl as a woman beater and say he is late for shows and that he is unprepared for shows because of rio, Bridgeport and MTV music awards?

Many people already do that.

I don't get your point.

Do we take things that Cobain (one person) said about Axl and start repeating it as fact?

Marc is a close friend of Slash ... I don't think Kurt was a close friend of Axl.

I don't get your point.

I don't justify everything Axl does. I honestly believe he's far from being a perfect person. You should look better at all of my posts. Besides, saying Slash sometimes lies to look cool as nothing to do with "justifying" Axl's attitudes. That's something that you may think I'm implying, but that's not correct. See ... we were talking about Slash, and you started talking about Axl, not me ...

So ... you think people shouldn't be allowed to say that "sometimes Slash lies to look cool" in a GN'R forum ... but I don't see you complaining that much about people bashing Axl, GN'R and their management ... it's ok to do that, the way it's done, in a GN'R forum?

Maybe you should stop pretending you are some kind of forum's police and refrain from saying in public what should be allowed and what shouldn't be allowed, what threads should stay open and what threads should be locked.

If you want some changes to the forum rules, there's some other ways to suggest those changes.

Maybe you should spend more time talking about the actual topic than talking about me as a poster? Half your post is about me.

I'm just about to stop replying to your posts though, as you make no sense and continually contradict yourself. I've tried to have serious normal conversations with you - but you just go back to your same nonsense. You have this weird Slash-vs-Axl agenda that really just bogs the forum down for those of who have no agenda and just want to chat about our favorite band.

If anybody is "soooooooo" bothered by complete strangers opinions on rock stars, then they need to turn their computers off and go outside and enjoy the sun. I come on here to kill time throughout the work day. It's a GnR forum - what the f*ck are we supposed to chat about here?

So here is a free one for you :thumbsup: You keep turning every topic into an Axl-vs-Slash thing. The rest of us will voice our opinions in topics without tying them to an Axl or Slash agenda and just talk about what actually happened.

Did you guys know that Axl never called Slash a cancer?

The proof is in the quote where he calls Slash a cancer

:rofl-lol:

This might be the best post of the entire year.

It sums up 3-4 posters on here absolutely perfectly.