Tobias?

Estranged Coma

It speaks volumes about this guy that the only thing he's done in music is be axls lapdog.

He's not an in demand session guy. He's not a pro songwriter.

It makes total sense that both slash and duff were against him joining GNR. The guy is a totally talentless nothing. All we have is axl saying that Tobias saved the band and cowrote all these songs.

We don't know what that means, precisely. Maybe Tobias wrote entire sections of songs. But more likely, he played a G chord, and Axl wrote an entire song off it.

• Like 1

It speaks volumes about this guy that the only thing he's done in music is be axls lapdog.

It makes total sense that both slash and duff were against him joining GNR. The guy is a totally talentless nothing. All we have is axl saying that Tobias saved the band and cowrote all these songs.

We don't know what that means, precisely. Maybe Tobias wrote entire sections of songs. But more likely, he played a G chord, and Axl wrote an entire song off it.

So you claim you know better the situation than Axl, cool

Wow I didn't know Axl said that Tobias saved the band. What this back in the mid 90s or was he talking about post slash ?

Seems maybe Axl just always wants an Indiana boy in the band with him lol...

The true beginning to the end of classic gnr - the departure of izzy stradlin.

Wow I didn't know Axl said that Tobias saved the band. What this back in the mid 90s or was he talking about post slash ?

Seems maybe Axl just always wants an Indiana boy in the band with him lol...

The true beginning to the end of classic gnr - the departure of izzy stradlin.

2001 HOB and RIR 3

A very awful and yet very lucky musician.

He has atleast an ounce of talent? He was involved In the songwriting process of twat and prostitute correct? Those two songs seem to be heavily appreciated here on the forum. Another thing he was probably more involved at the beginning stages so he worked on the sounds when they were in the heralded first leaked versions.

Have any other band members given insight into the contributions of paul?

Have we seen/heard the last of Paul Tobias?

Probably will never see him touring, so will we hear more of his influence on future GnR music? Even if you think we will never get an album, how about on a future leak? Do we know what else he had a hand in creating?

I love the Tobias material. Axl always seemed to work best with a writing partner and you could make the case that next to Izzy, Paul ranks as Axl's 2nd best/most important creative collaborator.

He has atleast an ounce of talent? He was involved In the songwriting process of twat and prostitute correct? Those two songs seem to be heavily appreciated here on the forum. Another thing he was probably more involved at the beginning stages so he worked on the sounds when they were in the heralded first leaked versions.

Also helped write Back off Bitch. His work on Sympathy was great too. I don't think Slash would have been upset had he not felt at least a little upstaged on that track. That's understandable. I just don't think he should have felt threatened the way he was. Clearly he was still the primary force of the GNR guitar committee.

Edited by Mr. Dude

Probably will never see him touring, so will we hear more of his influence on future GnR music? Even if you think we will never get an album, how about on a future leak? Do we know what else he had a hand in creating?

I love the Tobias material. Axl always seemed to work best with a writing partner and you could make the case that next to Izzy, Paul ranks as Axl's 2nd best/most important creative collaborator.

Also helped write Back off Bitch. His work on Sympathy was great too. I don't think Slash would have been upset had he not filled at least a little upstaged on that track. That's understandable. I just don't think he should have felt threatened the way he was. Clearly he was still the primary force of the GNR guitar committee.

Yeah, if someone added additional guitars on top of Jimmy Page's guitar tracks without getting his permission I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

I like what Paul did with Guns, but you gotta confirm the major choices you make when it comes to the band as it's leader doesn't hurt what you already have, the musical partnership on that level, chemistry whatever. Why should Slash work with a guy he doesn't respect as a musician?

Duff wasn't into Paul as well it seems.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Also helped write Back off Bitch. His work on Sympathy was great too. I don't think Slash would have been upset had he not filled at least a little upstaged on that track. That's understandable. I just don't think he should have felt threatened the way he was. Clearly he was still the primary force of the GNR guitar committee.

Yeah, if someone added additional guitars on top of Jimmy Page's guitar tracks without getting his permission I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

I like what Paul did with Guns, but you gotta confirm the major choices you make when it comes to the band as it's leader doesn't hurt what you already have, the musical partnership on that level, chemistry whatever. Why should Slash work with a guy he doesn't respect as a musician?

Duff wasn't into Paul as well it seems.

On

Regardless of the micro level inner band politico dynamics you can't deny his meritorious contributions. On a macro level I see where Slash was coming from though.

I don't know why this guy is hated on. Just because Slash doesn't like him because of Sympathy guitar set up and probably other things doesn't mean people should hate on him. Christ...if Tobias couldn't play with Slash, ya think Zakk Wylde would have joined the band full time? Not a chance.

I don't know why this guy is hated on. Just because Slash doesn't like him because of Sympathy guitar set up and probably other things doesn't mean people should hate on him. Christ...if Tobias couldn't play with Slash, ya think Zakk Wylde would have joined the band full time? Not a chance.

The point is Slash should had a say in it, and Axl did it anyway.

It's like back before Slash joined Guns, and there was another lead guitar player in the band with Izzy, the Axl, Slash, and Izzy rehearsal went great according to Slash, but he said Izzy was pissed off cause he didn't like the idea of just replacing a band member without really "put it to a vote" or at least be more democratic about it.

So it's less about Paul, and more about Axl's beliefs he knew what was best and felt he probably had a right to bring musicians he liked to the band like Wylde and Paul, but like Slash said, you can't just replace band members in Guns N' Roses. It doesn't work that way.

Having said that, I think Paul had something of value to contribute to Guns, but you can't just say fuck it I'll do what I think is right without asking anyone else, people that are a big part of the operation and expect them to just go with it when you make them feel they're not in control of even the basic foundation of the band.

I still think Axl wanted to move forward, and was just looking for a way to achieve that.

And you know what? Axl could have released an Axl solo album with Paul as his musical partner and some other guitar player he liked.

The fact he wanted to make crucial changes in Guns that Slash wasn't onboard with and Axl did it anyway was an indication they weren't a team anymore or had a shared goal really.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Plus he co-wrote Back Off Bitch

a song that was mostly disliked here, but the guitar parts were good

I read somewhere a while ago Axl was producing Mank Rage and Dave Lank had a falling out with him, and Dave was Axl's oldest closest friend.

No one's ever asked Izzy his opinion on Tobias in GNR, being that he knew him since they were kids and basically took his place. Did Izzy help teach him some of the songs when Slash was being a dick about it? Maybe that's why Izzy was also popping in from time to time. Once they had Robin, I didn't think they really needed him, but I guess he helped the band move forward when they had Robin, Tommy, Chris, and Josh in there.

I don't know if Tobias was ever a full time musician except from 1994-2002. I'm sure he was getting as a full time member of GNR and not just hanging out. It's funny how all the Lafayette guys are the most "mysterious" or just hate doing interviews.

Seems like once the song writing process was over, and those early CD tracks were recorded, his part was done and he kind of got out the picture. I've always noticed after that is when things completely stalled out with the new band. Not saying the two are connected, but it's there.