Led Zeppelin (Reunion Rumors)

ManetsBR

I love Bonham and Mooney's drumming but Ginger Baker blows them both away. I would even say Carl Palmer and Bill Bruford from that ERA are superior.

Moons quality is in his weird improvisational inimmitable style, which one could argue puts him ahead of the Bonzos of this world, although you could just as easily counter-argue and say Bonzo's qualities lie more on the 'proper' end of the drumming scale so you could argue one over the other conclusively or just agree that each ones merit cancels the other one out.

But Ginge belongs in a different category based on flat out ability. Ginge is really unique as western rock drummers go, the weird emphasis on the one, kinda like funk but...funk is the result of a happy accident that was then developed, Ginge's emphasis one was based on his love for African drumming and his transplanting that, through a jazz context, onto rock music. It's really magnificent what he does and the character that he bought to songs, particularly with Cream.

It's really magnificent what he does and the character that he bought to songs, particularly with Cream.

The weird thing is how poorly he fit in with Blind Faith right afterwards. Nothing he did worked with those songs.

My experience with them is weird, the entire experience for me was just me listening to Ginge...but you're right, didn't really work in that context, at least to my (our) mind(s).

With all due respect if Gilmour can tour as Pink Floyd without Water's I don't see why it would not be possible without Rick. Sure it is close to zero but he is easier to replace then the other two IMHO.

I'm not saying can't, I'm saying won't. Dave and Rog were at each others throat at the time. There was anger and competition. With Rick there's love and respect. Plus Live 8 was as good and complete an ending as any Floyd fan could have hoped for.

"Keith Moon was a unique player, but I think a lot of his success had to do with Pete Townshend. There were a lot of holes in the music to fill up. I used to hear Keith jam down at Steve Paul's Scene in the Sixties and he didn't play the way he did in The Who. Sometimes when he played with other people it didn't work out." - Dino Danelli, Rascals drummer.

"Keith Moon was a unique player, but I think a lot of his success had to do with Pete Townshend. There were a lot of holes in the music to fill up. I used to hear Keith jam down at Steve Paul's Scene in the Sixties and he didn't play the way he did in The Who. Sometimes when he played with other people it didn't work out." - Dino Danelli, Rascals drummer.

I never heard that, thanks for that Dalshie. Thats really illuminating, so he was always a mental fucker but he weren't always a playing Who style mental fucker. He was taught by Carlo Little from Screaming Lord Sutches band, for a few lessons anyway and played for a band before that playing surf music with The Beachcombers. He loved Surf music apparently, made sense cuz they had very distinctive drumming eh? But thats a really interesting bit of information, I've never heard that said before.

I think he sounded better with a smaller kit doing RnB songs? What he lent to them was fantastic. Not that he was brilliant on rock songs that The Who made afterwards, it's just it's such a strange juxtaposition with Motown and RnB, worked so well as long as it was The Who doing it.

The bit about Pete leaving gaps, he says that himself, does Pete. That he was keeping time whilst Entwhistle and Moonie went mad :lol:

• Like 1

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKIN hell!!! Thats Plant now?!?

yeah, that was my reaction when i first saw this pic

I think in 2007 he looked pretty good for his age

But now...

well, all good things must come to an end

He looks absolutely fine for his age. Dare I say... normal?!! For the record, this kind of dicussion is EXACTLY why he doesn't want a reunion. There's no reason for him to be judged, and a tour hasn't even started yet. For him to be in Zeppelin, he has to be the "golden god" with the young man's body. He isn't that anymore and he doesn't pretend he is. Thats why Zeppelin is the past for him and should be for everyone else. Its a very noble and good reason.

agreed 100%

I'M not even judging him, just point out how pointless is the reunion idea for now...

Just let it go people, 2007 was cool and should be regarded the last show

Without Bonham, there's no reason to tounearly at 70... they are not the Rolling Stones

He looks absolutely fine for his age. Dare I say... normal?!! For the record, this kind of dicussion is EXACTLY why he doesn't want a reunion. There's no reason for him to be judged, and a tour hasn't even started yet. For him to be in Zeppelin, he has to be the "golden god" with the young man's body. He isn't that anymore and he doesn't pretend he is. Thats why Zeppelin is the past for him and should be for everyone else. Its a very noble and good reason.

agreed 100%

I'M not even judging him, just point out how pointless is the reunion idea for now...

Just let it go people, 2007 was cool and should be regarded the last show

Without Bonham, there's no reason to tounearly at 70... they are not the Rolling Stones

I have brought it up many times, maybe not on here but in life. I saw the 02 Arena Reunion movie in theaters with a friend of mine who's a big Zep fan and a girl we were both trying to bang (neither of us did sadly). Saw the film, it was EXCELLENT. Zeppelin killed it, particularly Plant even with them having to tune down, and it was just a great all around reunion. We walk out of the theater, my friend and I are raving. The first thing out of the girl's mouth was "yeah, it was good, but did he have to keep grabbing his butt? Come on man, you're 70." And that right there is exactly the moment I started supporting Robert Plant's view. I was FURIOUS at him when he wouldn't do a reunion in 2007, then all of a sudden it became clear. A reunion is absolutely the hardest on him, because of the obvious criticism he would get vocally and appearance wise. He isn't that man anymore and he went back to truly did it once in 2007 and it was great. There's no need for him to do it again.

I would love to see Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones playing together on stage with Jason Bonham backing them up. But Robert Plant isn't in that mindset anymore and it makes absolute sense why he isn't. It actually made me like him more that he even did the 02 thing, because it was so pure and genuine which is the only way he could do it. He isn't Led Zeppelin anymore and he's tried to explain as nicely as possible that there's no reason to go out if he truly doesn't feel it and he's 100% right. It just took me a few years to really understand him, but now that I do I think he's maybe the most respectable guy of those rock legends.

• Like 1

I think Robert's dread about doing more reunion shows outweighs the money, and we don't know past the occasional get-together, how Jimmy and Robert get along.

Live Aid was only 5 years after Led Zep disbanded and it was a trainwreck, but they never should have had Phil Collins play drums, when he even said he tried to play the old Genesis songs with Peter at the 1982 reunion and struggled. They probably would have been better off having a teenage Jason play that day, but Plant's career and The Firm were doing well, they should have just done that instead. Jimmy had already done Stairway as an instrumental a year or two before.

It would have been cool if they did a reunion tour just to hear those songs performed live, no matter what they look like. It doesn't add to or diminish the legacy if they did it because the body of work's already stood the test of time for over 35 years. You're always going to have tribute bands that are pretty damn good, but you're not going to have the real deal around. Anyone that saw the great bands in their prime are pretty damn lucky and know it. I mean, we'll take what we can get from Plant and Page together or apart, the same way we support GnR whether or not they're together on stage. There's always going to be tribute bands forming in years to come so those songs will always be performed live around the world.

With Jason being given the "official member" status, he'll be the custodian of the tapes when Jimmy is done with the reissues, and probably the one who is going to put the live tapes out. I still think Jimmy leaked the soundboards even if he denies it and says they were stolen, but a lot of people used his studio in the 80s.

It was cool getting to see Song Remains the Same in the theater when they did the Blu Ray release, and Celebration Day. And they cranked it up LOUD. They should bring midnight movies back just because it's a lot of fun seeing it with an audience and not just have it be all about Rocky Horror. I know some arthouses do it, but it's so different when they're showing a restored print that's been cleaned up and remastered audio.

Edited by dalsh327