Major promoter says music festivals are on the way out

alfierose

Whiney boring pretentious crap for cider drinking vegans.

I was at this guy's house the other night and he handed me a cider. He acted like maybe I didn't know what they were, like they were some cool new thing. I didn't have the heart to tell him sorority chicks and middle-aged aunts had been on them for years. :lol:

How has cider suddenly become synonymous with pretentious vegans, i thought it was more synonymous with uneducated shit-shovellers from Lancashire. I never seen no students drinking Scrumpy and all that.

Edited by Len B'stard

Since you put it like that dearie :lol:

Name an album?

Although it's only arguably their best, the obvious answer is OK Computer .

Perhaps the album The Bends might be more appropriate since Len is looking for broad and pop (key songs: High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Iron Lung, Black Star, Street Spirit). I do agree that songs like Don't Look Back in Anger and Wonderwall are likely more well known than anything Radiohead has done (with exception of the song Creep), Radiohead's body of work will likely achieve greater longevity.

But yeah, in terms of Radiohead's best albums, I'd rank the top three as Ok Computer, The Bends, and In Rainbows.

• Like 1

How has cider suddenly become synonymous with pretentious vegans, i thought it was more synonymous with uneducated shit-shovellers from Lancashire. I never seen no students drinking Scrumpy and all that.

Radiohead fans drink it.

I don't drink it, but I'll crack a fuckin' bottle of it over your head. :lol:

Name an album?

Perhaps the album The Bends might be more appropriate since Len is looking for broad and pop (key songs: High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Iron Lung, Black Star, Street Spirit). I do agree that songs like Don't Look Back in Anger and Wonderwall are likely more well known than anything Radiohead has done (with exception of the song Creep), Radiohead's body of work will likely achieve greater longevity.

But yeah, in terms of Radiohead's best albums, I'd rank the top three as Ok Computer, The Bends, and In Rainbows.

I was thinking maybe The Bends too, but OK Computer is pretty accessible and Len has a developed taste, so....

The Bends is more straight-forward pop/rock for sure, more comparable to Oasis.

Name an album?

I'm not looking for broad and pop, just was saying thats what Noel was.

Slash is the Ozzy of the 90s.

I don't think Noel is as big as Slash. Oasis didn't even sell in the US. In the UK maybe, but the UK is the size of Mexico City.

The Bends is an alright album but I'm not going to listen to it. Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry and Just are decent songs. Even if I don't like them.

Edited by wasted

Festivals are gonna get bigger as bands can't tour alone anymore. They're teaming up to make bigger shows together and have more profit. The natural course of that is a festival. Labels put their big acts to sell it, their medium to support it, and the put their new names to disclose them at festivals.

Radiohead fans drink it.

I don't drink it, but I'll crack a fuckin' bottle of it over your head. :lol:

Name an album?

I was thinking maybe The Bends too, but OK Computer is pretty accessible and Len has a developed taste, so....

The Bends is more straight-forward pop/rock for sure, more comparable to Oasis.

Had a listen, first half of OK Computer, i must admit it werent quite as Godawful as i first presumed but didnt exactly set my world ablaze either. Certainly not bad...reminded me of The Stone Roses at times only not quite so amazing.

Funny you should say that, im filling out an application for a student loan as we speak :lol:

I don't think Noel is as big as Slash. Oasis didn't even sell in the US. In the UK maybe, but the UK is the size of Mexico City.

The Bends is an alright album but I'm not going to listen to it. Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry and Just are decent songs. Even if I don't like them.

Slash is kinda frozen in time though whereas Noel Gallagher is in the charts and doing videos and world tours with every album. Slash is sort of like a guitarist without a band and has seemed such since the mid 90s.

I will die the death of a thousand bastards before i listen to Pink Floyd. I actually gave em a chance once. I found a copy of their album in, of all places, Pakistan. And not even a major city either, some right fuckin' outback shithole. What is was doing there in amongst all the Bollywood bollocks I'll never no. Anyway, i gave it a listen, it was absolute pants. I remember little bits of it, this one song that goes 'we don't need no education' etc etc And 'all in all you're just another brick in the wall'.

It was awful, biege, boring hippie music with really obvious hammy lyrics. Weren't that one of their sons hanging off the cenotaph like a bellend during them protests?

Edited by Len B'stard

Funny you should say that, im filling out an application for a student loan as we speak :lol:

Slash is kinda frozen in time though whereas Noel Gallagher is in the charts and doing videos and world tours with every album. Slash is sort of like a guitarist without a band and has seemed such since the mid 90s.
Slash is an icon though around the world. He's a global superstar. Slash Fest would bring out everyone into rock around the world. Noel Fest wouldn't. Him and Weller in a tent in wellies, no one wants to see that.

Slash is an icon though around the world. He's a global superstar. Slash Fest would bring out everyone into rock around the world. Noel Fest wouldn't. Him and Weller in a tent in wellies, no one wants to see that.

Yeah but thats all he is, an icon, theres no actual music of any note there. Whereas when Noely G releases something it sells, people buy it, there are videos and tours and some sort of coherence to the way its done, whether under the auspices of Oasis or The High Flying Birds, he releases stuff and it like...means something, theres songs there that people go for, its not like Slash where the main point of sale is the fact that its Slash.

Hes probably a bigger icon and more recognisable but whats the last thing he did that mattered to the world of music on some level? Use Your Illusions I'd say. Not that Noel makes some sort of massive impact with every release but hes consistent in releasing quality matierial, whatever you may think about his albums and their being in a particular vein its still good tunes that people respond to, that become recognisable, that you hear on the radio. And this is consistently since Definitely Maybe.

Yeah but thats all he is, an icon, theres no actual music of any note there. Whereas when Noely G releases something it sells, people buy it, there are videos and tours and some sort of coherence to the way its done, whether under the auspices of Oasis or The High Flying Birds, he releases stuff and it like...means something, theres songs there that people go for, its not like Slash where the main point of sale is the fact that its Slash.

Hes probably a bigger icon and more recognisable but whats the last thing he did that mattered to the world of music on some level? Use Your Illusions I'd say. Not that Noel makes some sort of massive impact with every release but hes consistent in releasing quality matierial, whatever you may think about his albums and their being in a particular vein its still good tunes that people respond to, that become recognisable, that you hear on the radio. And this is consistently since Definitely Maybe.

I think the same can be said of Slash to be honest. VR and his solo pretty big, probably bigger than Noel. Slash goes anywhere in the world he's a legend. Noel not really, maybe in the UK. People in the US might know Wonderwall. But Slash is GNR to most people in the US so it's Jungle, SCOM, Paradise, Dont cry.

The US know Bono more than Noel. Noel just isn't in Slash in Bono's league internationally. But maybe Slash could do an Ozfest type hard rock festival and Noel could do a more British indie fest like Perry Farrell did with Lollapoloza.

Maybe Noel would get bands like Kasbian or whoever he's insulted over the years.

Slash could probably get Alice in Chains, Metallica, Rage against the Machine, Bad Company and make billions with mix of hard rock and metal bands. Old and new.