Major promoter says music festivals are on the way out

alfierose

I think the same can be said of Slash to be honest. VR and his solo pretty big, probably bigger than Noel. Slash goes anywhere in the world he's a legend. Noel not really, maybe in the UK. People in the US might know Wonderwall. But Slash is GNR to most people in the US so it's Jungle, SCOM, Paradise, Dont cry.

But there's no music there man. Who can name you any tunes off of Snakepit or fuckin' VR or whatever? Then compare that to the way Noels songs sort of take on a presence in the space and time that they occupy. VR was big cuz for what it was, not any music they made.

And this focus on the US, musically, no one gives a monkeys about the US anymore, they've been 20 years behind the times for so long in music that no one pays any attention to whats going on over there except children who like child pop.

Noel just isn't in Slash in Bono's league internationally.

I agree but then i don't think Slash is in Bonos league either, in the sense of being big. And Noeley ain't far behind em y'know, he pulls in some big fuckin' crowds around the world, in Japan, South America etc

Slash could probably get Alice in Chains, Metallica, Rage against the Machine, Bad Company and make billions with mix of hard rock and metal bands. Old and new.

All those bands are like a quarter of a century old and no one gives a shit about them except American teenagers...for about 3 years of their teen years.

Fall to Pieces and Slither are pretty big. Whereas Noel has zero. I'm not a huge Slash fan so I don't know exactly but Noel has no songs since his solo career that I know of. It's like they both have no impact.

But I'd go with those hard rock metal bands with Slash's name to make a succesful festival.

Noel would be an up hill battle. I think in terms of rock it's still American bands like the White Stripes and The Strokes, Avenged Sevenfold that can tour internationally, headline festivals.

Noel could get Artic Monkeys and Muse if he doesn't hate them.

It's definitely perspective thing. Maybe Noel is bigger in the UK than Slash. A vice a versa.

I think Slash has to be the easier one. Just put the best selling hard rock and metal acts of the last 30 years. And he knows all those people.

What's with this "no one cares about American music" kick, Len? It's completely ridiculous.

I just mean to say that the days of 'breaking America' are long gone, no one particularly cares about that shit much, America have led the way with popular music for decades but it's kinda all faded, no one really gives a monkeys about whats coming out of America musically, your main export musically now is basically the pop music, the days of where like...when i was growing up and America was THE place cuz all the good hip hop was coming out of it, that shit is over with.

The stuff Wasted is talking about, this idea Alice in Chains, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, you gotta be off your tits if you think those bands have any value to contemporary culture. Noel as a solo artist does though. I'm not saying he's some kind of world beater or whatever but he's visible, he has a presence, he's releasing matierial that is somewhat anticipated and...y'know, something is made of it.

Perhaps it has something to do with the internet or whatever but it's kind of put the idea of world culture into perspective, America are not trendsetters or ahead of the pack or even producing anything particularly substantial of late. I'd have to be a cunt to call American music devoid of value, 95% of the shit i listen to is American or American influenced but it's just not that day anymore, culturally. I guess the flipside of that is that there has been a downgrading in general across the board...perhaps American downgrading is all the more resounding due to the fact that the cultural influence was so substantial to begin with.

Funny you should say that, im filling out an application for a student loan as we speak :lol:

Slash is the Ozzy of the 90s.

I don't think Noel is as big as Slash. Oasis didn't even sell in the US. In the UK maybe, but the UK is the size of Mexico City.

The Bends is an alright album but I'm not going to listen to it. Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry and Just are decent songs. Even if I don't like them.

Slash is kinda frozen in time though whereas Noel Gallagher is in the charts and doing videos and world tours with every album. Slash is sort of like a guitarist without a band and has seemed such since the mid 90s.
Slash is an icon though around the world. He's a global superstar. Slash Fest would bring out everyone into rock around the world. Noel Fest wouldn't. Him and Weller in a tent in wellies, no one wants to see that.
Yeah but thats all he is, an icon, theres no actual music of any note there. Whereas when Noely G releases something it sells, people buy it, there are videos and tours and some sort of coherence to the way its done, whether under the auspices of Oasis or The High Flying Birds, he releases stuff and it like...means something, theres songs there that people go for, its not like Slash where the main point of sale is the fact that its Slash.

Hes probably a bigger icon and more recognisable but whats the last thing he did that mattered to the world of music on some level? Use Your Illusions I'd say. Not that Noel makes some sort of massive impact with every release but hes consistent in releasing quality matierial, whatever you may think about his albums and their being in a particular vein its still good tunes that people respond to, that become recognisable, that you hear on the radio. And this is consistently since Definitely Maybe.

I think the same can be said of Slash to be honest. VR and his solo pretty big, probably bigger than Noel. Slash goes anywhere in the world he's a legend. Noel not really, maybe in the UK. People in the US might know Wonderwall. But Slash is GNR to most people in the US so it's Jungle, SCOM, Paradise, Dont cry.

The US know Bono more than Noel. Noel just isn't in Slash in Bono's league internationally. But maybe Slash could do an Ozfest type hard rock festival and Noel could do a more British indie fest like Perry Farrell did with Lollapoloza.

Maybe Noel would get bands like Kasbian or whoever he's insulted over the years.

Slash could probably get Alice in Chains, Metallica, Rage against the Machine, Bad Company and make billions with mix of hard rock and metal bands. Old and new.

In the sense of like, putting together a festival i suppose you're right.

Noel has not had a hit since Little by Little. Slash had Slither and Fall to Pieces with VR.

The Death of You & Me from his solo album was a hit, AKA What a Life done alright as well, Sky Sports was using it as their tune. Noel has had songs that chart, whether high or mid range, with every album he ever released. The same cannot be said for Slash.

Which is more to my point, rock charts and the greaser 100 ain't exactly the same thing although Slither and Fall to Pieces did well even in that regard so you do have a point. But thats pretty much the only two, the rest of his solo albums have been a joke, really. And i love Slash by the way, easily my favorite man out of GnR. Him or Izzy.

What's with this "no one cares about American music" kick, Len? It's completely ridiculous.

I just mean to say that the days of 'breaking America' are long gone, no one particularly cares about that shit much, America have led the way with popular music for decades but it's kinda all faded, no one really gives a monkeys about whats coming out of America musically, your main export musically now is basically the pop music, the days of where like...when i was growing up and America was THE place cuz all the good hip hop was coming out of it, that shit is over with.

The stuff Wasted is talking about, this idea Alice in Chains, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, you gotta be off your tits if you think those bands have any value to contemporary culture. Noel as a solo artist does though. I'm not saying he's some kind of world beater or whatever but he's visible, he has a presence, he's releasing matierial that is somewhat anticipated and...y'know, something is made of it.

Perhaps it has something to do with the internet or whatever but it's kind of put the idea of world culture into perspective, America are not trendsetters or ahead of the pack or even producing anything particularly substantial of late. I'd have to be a cunt to call American music devoid of value, 95% of the shit i listen to is American or American influenced but it's just not that day anymore, culturally. I guess the flipside of that is that there has been a downgrading in general across the board...perhaps American downgrading is all the more resounding due to the fact that the cultural influence was so substantial to begin with.

I get what you're saying. I think it's more that America's dominance has waned and that we've fallen back with the pack, and less that we're not producing anything of value. We're still putting out quality as much as or more than anyone else - it's just that our commercial dominance doesn't translate as directly into cultural influence in the internet age. We're no longer the behemoth.

Funny you should say that, im filling out an application for a student loan as we speak :lol:

Slash is the Ozzy of the 90s.

I don't think Noel is as big as Slash. Oasis didn't even sell in the US. In the UK maybe, but the UK is the size of Mexico City.

The Bends is an alright album but I'm not going to listen to it. Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry and Just are decent songs. Even if I don't like them.

Slash is kinda frozen in time though whereas Noel Gallagher is in the charts and doing videos and world tours with every album. Slash is sort of like a guitarist without a band and has seemed such since the mid 90s.
Slash is an icon though around the world. He's a global superstar. Slash Fest would bring out everyone into rock around the world. Noel Fest wouldn't. Him and Weller in a tent in wellies, no one wants to see that.
Yeah but thats all he is, an icon, theres no actual music of any note there. Whereas when Noely G releases something it sells, people buy it, there are videos and tours and some sort of coherence to the way its done, whether under the auspices of Oasis or The High Flying Birds, he releases stuff and it like...means something, theres songs there that people go for, its not like Slash where the main point of sale is the fact that its Slash.

Hes probably a bigger icon and more recognisable but whats the last thing he did that mattered to the world of music on some level? Use Your Illusions I'd say. Not that Noel makes some sort of massive impact with every release but hes consistent in releasing quality matierial, whatever you may think about his albums and their being in a particular vein its still good tunes that people respond to, that become recognisable, that you hear on the radio. And this is consistently since Definitely Maybe.

The US know Bono more than Noel. Noel just isn't in Slash in Bono's league internationally. But maybe Slash could do an Ozfest type hard rock festival and Noel could do a more British indie fest like Perry Farrell did with Lollapoloza.

Maybe Noel would get bands like Kasbian or whoever he's insulted over the years.

In the sense of like, putting together a festival i suppose you're right.
That's what I thought we were talking about. Festivals.

Noel has a solo career that exists and maybe more relevant than Slash. but that might not be true in terms of sales.

Music is more diverse now. It's either diluted or a good thing for music or a bad thing for the industry.

But we've seen in this landscape the dinosaurs can pull a crowd. And certain names are like brands like Ozzy.

I just think if you put a Slash festival together those bands would pull a huge crowd and Slash is the guitar hero of a generation so he's a good Ozzy-like brand name.

Of course it's a grotesque bankrupt idea but that's what freedom's all about. Rock the almighty dollar.

The thing with music festivals is you don't really need a "headliner". The music festivals have become more about the event rather than the music/bands. People don't go to the festivals based on who's playing they go to the festivals because of the festival. Huge headliners are just a bonus.

He has a point. Rock is so bound up with nostalgia now. It is literally a dead genre solely propped up by the original generation which propelled it originally. It is as if the talent pool ceased at some point in the 1990s, and the genre was therefore forced to rely on the same old winkled millionaires to sustain it. Macca (as 1/4 of the Beatles) and Stones were the biggest band in the 1960s? Macca and the Stones are still the biggest acts in 2015!! Kiss, Aerosmith, Sabbath, DC and Springsteen ('70s) and Metallica, U2 ('80s) all follow thereafter as the biggest acts on the earth. This cannot be healthy? I mean people see the Stones as if they are seeing a museum piece. There is more than an element of, seeing them before they die so you can say to the grandkids, ''I saw The Stones live''. Rock is now a corporate museum piece which is wheeled out to gather cash from laymen, then wheeled back in. There is little of the vitality and attitude which created the genre in the 1950s.

U2 is the biggest touring act on the planet. Sorry but it's true. And they are anything but a nostalgia act the way the other bnds you listed have become. That is also very true.

I like that song but it's so "U2".

Where the streets have no Name, don't let it get away!

And that's okay.

But to say they didn't just fall back into their comfort zone after Pop is a bit weird. But they do have some known songs from ATYCLB.

But really they are like the new Stones, a consrvative band that the company men get tickets to like its a ball game.

I think Noel and Slash are in the same position in the sense that nobody gives a flying fuck about their solo careers and we all just want them to reunite with their respective bands - speaking in a layman mindset.

Actually people do give a fuck about their solo careers. It's Liam's and Axl's career that nobody gives a fuck about and just want them to reunite with Slash and Noel.

U2 have been on a nostalgia run since Pop. Each album is really just a generic U2 album with production of the time. It sells pretty well and fuels the tours. But that's fine I think.

You mean the band who had a setlist last night where nearly HALF the songs were released within the last 15 months. A band that continueoulsy tries to reinvent their live shows and bring something new to the table and who has set a new standard for arena sound on this tour. That nostalgia band? Riiiiiiiiiight. It's kind fo a good thing if you have a clue what you're talking about before you do. Just saying.

I hated them when they were in their pomp so I am not a good person to evaluate the various ups and downs of their career. The last song I remember from them was than intensely annoying, ''It's a beautiful day''.

This is pure garbage and the epitome of someone trying to look cool on the internet. Saying Beautiful Day is the last U2 song you remember proves this point and also proves you to eba flat out fucking lier. True story.

I like that song but it's so "U2".

Where the streets have no Name, don't let it get away!

And that's okay.

But to say they didn't just fall back into their comfort zone after Pop is a bit weird. But they do have some known songs from ATYCLB.

But really they are like the new Stones, a consrvative band that the company men get tickets to like its a ball game.

They are NOTHING like the Stones in 2015. Saying such a thing is pure ignorance. The Rolling Stones are not loading nearly half their setlists with brand new songs. I don't give a shit if any of you cool guys like U2 or not but when you spout absolute nonsense and shit that isn't even remotely true I just gotta wonder, who the fuck are you trying to impress?

And thats the bottom line because Stone Cold says so? :lol:

It's the bottom line because it's true whether ignorant people acknowledge it or not. It's not about liking them it's just about what's true. That's bottom line cool guy.

It's the bottom line because it's true whether ignorant people acknowledge it or not. It's not about liking them it's just about what's true. That's bottom line cool guy.

Ja wohl mein fuhrer! :lol:

You mean the band who had a setlist last night where nearly HALF the songs were released within the last 15 months. A band that continueoulsy tries to reinvent their live shows and bring something new to the table and who has set a new standard for arena sound on this tour. That nostalgia band? Riiiiiiiiiight. It's kind fo a good thing if you have a clue what you're talking about before you do. Just saying.

Nostaligia is not predicated on the idea of playing the exact same songs over and over again, The Ramones were called a nostalgia act in the 90s before they broke up and they were always touring new stuff.

This is pure garbage and the epitome of someone trying to look cool on the internet. Saying Beautiful Day is the last U2 song you remember proves this point and also proves you to eba flat out fucking lier. True story.

It's pure garbage that he said he hates them and ergo is not the best person to assess their shit?

Edited by Len B'stard

In no time you will be enrolled as an art student, sitting in a student bar with a bunch of student chums (Tarquin and Giles) in your skinny jeans sipping cider.

You're a fuckin' art student yourself you fucker! What are you on about? Is there a tax dodger hierarchy or something where one set of art students look down on the rest? Do they have to set up barricades to keep you all from slapping each other to death at the job centre every fortnight or what? :lol: Edited by Dazey

In no time you will be enrolled as an art student, sitting in a student bar with a bunch of student chums (Tarquin and Giles) in your skinny jeans sipping cider.

You're a fuckin' art student yourself you fucker! What are you on about? Is there a tax dodger hierarchy or something where one set of art students look down on the rest? Do they have to set up barricades to keep you all from slapping each other to death at the job centre every fortnight or what? :lol:

History and Japanese is Dieses forte, is it not?