Spotify Just Discovered That Heavy Metal Is More Popular Than Pop Music

GivenToFly

yeah, a bit of misleading and clickbait, but this is valid:

As this Spotify data shows, metal is a global business, and metalheads are everywhere. The mainstream media and greater music industry are only hurting themselves by ignoring and belittling this rich vein of hugely dedicated, internationally-based fans, most of whom are more than prepared to shell out as much cash as they can on merchandise, print magazines, and physical music. Metal doesn't need them, but as streaming services continue doling out pennies and sales of physical music continue to fall, they just may find that they need metal... and it sure can't hurt for them to treat it—and by extension, us—with a bit more respect until that fateful day comes.

Fuckin' dirty metallers, good, they shouldn't propagate their fuckin' horrible racket. I think all metallers should have to be conscripted by law :lol: Spotify will have to be renamed Greasy-spotty-bastards-that-don't-use-deodourant-fy :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

It raises a good point. Metal has sort of always been seen as a non-mainstream genre for people with black dyed hair, ear gauges, and beards. Not only are there actually a hell of a lot of those people in the world, but they're not even the whole story. There are plenty of people who are die hard metal fans that aren't tatted, bearded, long haired, dark clothes-only wearing people. I include myself, and a quite a few friends in that later bunch.

There seems to be a stereotype that metal appeal is limited to unsavory, lower class/lower income, sketchy people. (see Len's post above this, "dirty metallers", though I know he was joking, the stereotype is real).

And big music industry organizations play into that - and like this article says, they're only hurting themselves. As far as touring appeal, metal still doesn't have as much sway in the US as pop/R&B/etc. and classic rock. But record/merch sales? Different story.

Metal will almost always been anti-establishment though to a degree, not as much as punk. But I think there's a middle ground that could be reached.

Further revision on this post, :lol:, part of this has to do with the monopolization of radio that took place in the mid/late 1990's in the US. Essentially removing the possibility for commercial FM radio stations to play metal (not Def Leppard or Zeppelin, but Death Angel/Exodus/etc.). This doesn't just go for metal btw, most styles that aren't jazz/blues/classical/pop/classic rock do not have radio representation.

Edited by OmarBradley

It raises a good point. Metal has sort of always been seen as a non-mainstream genre for people with black dyed hair, ear gauges, and beards. Not only are there actually a hell of a lot of those people in the world, but they're not even the whole story. There are plenty of people who are die hard metal fans that aren't tatted, bearded, long haired, dark clothes-only wearing people. I include myself, and a quite a few friends in that later bunch.

There seems to be a stereotype that metal appeal is limited to unsavory, lower class/lower income, sketchy people. (see Len's post above this, "dirty metallers", though I know he was joking, the stereotype is real).

And big music industry organizations play into that - and like this article says, they're only hurting themselves. As far as touring appeal, metal still doesn't have as much sway in the US as pop/R&B/etc. and classic rock. But record/merch sales? Different story.

Metal will almost always been anti-establishment though to a degree, not as much as punk. But I think there's a middle ground that could be reached.

Further revision on this post, :lol:, part of this has to do with the monopolization of radio that took place in the mid/late 1990's in the US. Essentially removing the possibility for commercial FM radio stations to play metal (not Def Leppard or Zeppelin, but Death Angel/Exodus/etc.). This doesn't just go for metal btw, most styles that aren't jazz/blues/classical/pop/classic rock do not have radio representation.

yeah people usually shocked when they know i like metal music because i dont look like the stereotypical metalhead.

i think your post is spot on, also it was reported a while back but studies show metal fans are most likely to actually buy albums if bands were given more exposure and some radio play(there was a guy up here on the radio that was fired for playing maiden and priest) they would gain even more fans, but as it is trying to buy metal albums which can be a pain in the ass, this ends up hurting sales as well.

They're also lumping in the different varieties of bands under the metal umbrella. Metal never went away or was ever completely abandoned, and the festivals based around metal music have usually been big draws.

Even if they're not making much money in the music itself, the t-shirts and going to the shows is where metal bands have always made money regardless of how the album did, I'm sure Metallica and GNR did very well in t-shirt sales without having an album out, and Slayer sold WAY more t-shirts than music.

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 2

They're also lumping in the different varieties of bands under the metal umbrella. Metal never went away or was ever completely abandoned, and the festivals based around metal music have usually been big draws.

Even if they're not making much money in the music itself, the t-shirts and going to the shows is where metal bands have always made money regardless of how the album did, I'm sure Metallica and GNR did very well in t-shirt sales without having an album out, and Slayer sold WAY more t-shirts than music.

yeah exactly, thats why i mentioned in the festival thread that wacken sold out in 12 hours which is there all time record.

The metaller is just like the hippie, a real dull charmless affectation.

never compare us to hippies thats a low blow len. how about we bridge the divide between us and go listen to some discharge -_-