Definitely Maybe vs. (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

AxlsMainMan

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I say (What's the Story) Morning Glory. It has a way more polished sound, the songs are more iconic and the musicians have more experience. Thus I consider it Oasis' "Master of Puppets" (I would consider Definetly Maybe as Oasis' Ride the Lightning). Both classics, but one is just a tad better.

Definitely Maybe all day long but i will always love and adore Morning Glory because it was just a MASSIVE album of my key teenage years. And i do mean MASSIVE, there were like 6 or 7 singles on that fuckin' album, im sure of it, they were just EVERYWHERE.

I went with Morning Glory, but Definitely Maybe isn't far behind. Morning Glory just edges Definitely Maybe for me because MG was the first Oasis album I heard and I listened to it so many times before I even heard another album from them.

You've got to feel the lineage from The Beatles, to The Smiths, Stone Roses.

So you had those two last bands and then GNR, then Oasis. Instead of of those indie bands or shoe gazing finally a band that had more of a Stones type swagger.

But maybe you need rain and football to get it.

Lately, did you ever feel the pain?

In the morning rain as it soaks you to the bone

All that fuckin' retro 'they're like The Beatles, they're like The Stones, they're like The Pistols' stuff is just like...journalists at the height of their fame trying to make sense of why their music was so appealling, when i used to listen to em when they first came out i didn't feel like i was listening to The Beatles or The Pistols (heaven forbid!). I just took em as a bunch of Manc's with really good tunes that dressed cool.

Big bands suffer from this i think, we dissect them and compartmentalise them and then have a go at em for it.

All that fuckin' retro 'they're like The Beatles, they're like The Stones, they're like The Pistols' stuff is just like...journalists at the height of their fame trying to make sense of why their music was so appealling, when i used to listen to em when they first came out i didn't feel like i was listening to The Beatles or The Pistols (heaven forbid!). I just took em as a bunch of Manc's with really good tunes that dressed cool.

Big bands suffer from this i think, we dissect them and compartmentalise them and then have a go at em for it.

I've got to admit, the whole "next Beatles" stuff really made me despise them.

And if I put myself in their shoes, I'd have answered a lot of those dumb questions with exactly the kind of replies they did, in hindsight.

I saw Noel and his band on some show the other night, quality tune and performance...no reinvention of the wheel but it was sincere and refreshing.

I'm not in love with them. I heard the Smiths, really the most, that indie production, the Beatles tune wise, and Roses but rock n roll. It's all their. If not Slade and Bolan. But I didn't care. Later albums started to be obvious. Some of it is Lennon.

But actually heathan and don't believe were better because it wasn't as obvious.

Influences aren't a downer to me. It's not a conspiracy but it's there. You can feel the Smiths and Inspiral carpets and the fall coming though.

LOVE The Smiths, absolutely flawless discography, always thought Inspirals were a load of bollocks and The Fall are great. In the second song off their debut album Mark E Smith goes 'WE ARE THE FALL, WE'RE NORTHERN WHITE CRAP THAT TALKS BACK, WE ARE NOT BLACK...AT ALL'. I fell in love right there. Hows that for a statement of intent eh? :)

Edited by Len B'stard

I got into to the fall through that this is the winter of discontent. I know they have a record every year.

But whether I like them or not I hear the Smiths on DM. Noel will say Johnny Marr and that chick from the Stone Roses plus the Beatles, Weller, Slade. Slade production wise is obvious.

I'm not saying they thought about it. I did I robot.

The jangle. Without out being too technical. A real rock n roll jangle from the smiths, to Roses to Oasis.

Is it post punk vibe I don't know, to me it just sounds so indie. The guitars. Liam gives it some attitude.

On Morning Glory they took on some more stomp glam and classic rock.

I like Be Here Now because it's OTT. All that indie thing is gone.