Definitely Maybe vs. (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

AxlsMainMan

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

but I think you have to be British to "get" them.

Oh really? I guess I'll throw out all my Oasis albums then. Anyone want my vinyl? I mean I have no use for them being Canadian and all. I couldn't possibly "get" them. :shrugs:

Haha, while I could have explained myself/worded that a bit better, you're always making something out of nothing man :P

I just meant that it seems like Oasis seem to be an institution for Brits, like Cold Chisel or ACDC are traditionally for Aussies.

Like, I have a feeling if I was in a pub in England and loudly exclaimed I think Oasis are fucking shit, they would be fighting words.

Edited by DR DOOM

but I think you have to be British to "get" them.

Oh really? I guess I'll throw out all my Oasis albums then. Anyone want my vinyl? I mean I have no use for them being Canadian and all. I couldn't possibly "get" them. :shrugs:

Haha, while I could have explained myself/worded that a bit better, you're always making something out of nothing man :P

I just meant that it seems like Oasis seem to be an institution for Brits, like Cold Chisel or ACDC are traditionally for Aussies.

Like, I have a feeling if I was in a pub in England and loudly exclaimed I think Oasis are fucking shit, they would be fighting words.

There are no fighting words in English pub, you can say more or less what you want, it's where you look that tends to cause the grief.

Do you know what I mean? is an epic classic.

Be Here Now is like their CD. Layers, overdubs, solos everywhere.

But Stand By Me is a great song. So is Dont Go Away. There isn't a song on it I don't like.

Shame they couldn't hold it together to do a proper tour with that record in the US.

My Big Mouth and I think, I hope, I know are great rockers.

Magic Pie is underrated.

First 6 albums are all good. Last 3 aren't bad either.

I've always loved Be Here Now. The Girl Who Wears The Dirty Shirt, another good song as well as the ones you mentioned. I went to see them in Cardiff on that tour, a load of us went back to my mates house after and we were drinking all night before going to school pissed up the next day. I'll never forget my brother puking behind a car in his school uniform on the way in :lol:

• Like 1

Stop Crying your Hear out and Little by Little aren't too shabby either.

I remember going to see Happy Mondays and my friend really liked them and got worked we got a coach and we drinking cans in shopping bags and some other things. But just before they came on he vanished. And then at the end I was looking around and found him in the bouncers room or something puking into a bucket.

Stop Crying your Hear out and Little by Little aren't too shabby either.

I remember going to see Happy Mondays and my friend really liked them and got worked we got a coach and we drinking cans in shopping bags and some other things. But just before they came on he vanished. And then at the end I was looking around and found him in the bouncers room or something puking into a bucket.

What like back in the day Mondays? Lucky bastard!

Yeah before I even knew what or who. I was more into GNR and Doors but if you went out most clubs were just rave or techno mixed with Mondays or Roses. So Id go but I didn't know them. Hallelujah or some shit. I like Black grape more. I saw Nirvana the week it was on Top of the pops I think too. In was midweek so it was really pushing taking a bus to next city some how getting back.

Problem with Oasis was their own success and the resultant hype. A lot of this was their own doing i suppose with the 'we wanna be bigger than The Beatles' stuff, everyone looked at every one of their albums going 'why isn't this The White Album?' instead of just taking them for what they are, a good rock band that release good rock albums. And in their defence, wannabe bigger than The Beatles is a pretty healthy ambition.

You should never talk yourself into comparisons with greatness, let the record(s) reflect it. Kinda like Floyd Mayweather, there's a certain group of people that will forever hate him for the Ali comparison and saying he was better and attempting to reason it out by picking at Ali's record. My Dads one of em, not that he didn't despise Mayweather before but since the Ali comparison it's like he shot JFK or something.

Then again, that shit was as much the work of Melody Maker and NME and Time Out. Problem with todays culture is we don't let anything grow or unfold or evolve organically, we're always trying to second guess greatness. I remember when Anthony Joshua had his first couple of fights and people like Glenn McCrory and them were like 'is he gonna get to where he's mentioned in the same breath as an Ali' and it's like fuck me, stroll on, he's only just got going.

It's like we have this musical mould for greatness in the rock music sphere, it's something to do with either being The Beatles i.e. this catchy pop song making machine or like The Stones, some sort of facsimille of Americana that tours forever and becomes this cultural monolith. Problem with that is that you are proliferating this mould as a benchmark so the best you can possible achieve from that is an exceptionally talented knock off.

In this day and age, Beatles-esque is probably the worst insult you can level at an artist i think.

It's just what sells. There's plenty of experimental weirdo bands. It's just 4x4 rock with controversy sells more. With all money at stake nobody wants to take risk. You do a couple records to get in there and basically keep peddling. Noel produces decent rock product. There's all these rules you have follow to stay big. Sonic Youth are probably more like the Beatles than Oasis. Stadium bands are about escapism and comfort not really doing anything interesting. They have to rock the stadium. Any band that tries anything gets shit on from a great height. Know your place, deliver what we want. Now bands worship the fans.

It's just what sells. There's plenty of experimental weirdo bands. It's just 4x4 rock with controversy sells more. With all money at stake nobody wants to take risk. You do a couple records to get in there and basically keep peddling. Noel produces decent rock product. There's all these rules you have follow to stay big. Sonic Youth are probably more like the Beatles than Oasis. Stadium bands are about escapism and comfort not really doing anything interesting. They have to rock the stadium. Any band that tries anything gets shit on from a great height. Know your place, deliver what we want. Now bands worship the fans.

Does it even sell anymore though? Otherwise there'd be new bands coming out with it and being successful.

Edited by Len B'stard

Now it's more like nostalgia for retro bands. The end of culture.

I think it still sells more. Like The Strokes, Avenged Sevenfold, Kaiser Chiefs, My Chemical Romance. Nothing new. But the big bands grind it out. Look at Nickleback biggest selling band of 00s. Muse at least it's something different. It's probably the same record over and over though.

But you were saying why didn't they do a left field thing or do a record with Chemical Brothers producing. Make a Screamadelica. Noel is just no nonsense, maybe he doesn't think it was really their place to be experimental?

I suppose nothing sells anymore because rock is dead. People spend more on iPhones and mouse mats and video games sell 50 million copies at 30-40 pundollars.

Edited by wasted

To follow on from that, how far along do you think hip hop is in terms of projected overall lifespan? Cuz it occurs to me that genres following on from rock music are gonna have their market slightly narrowed by the publics propensity for retro and nostalgia...and whatever comes after hip hop will have a narrower market space too.

Edited by Len B'stard

Rap seems to be trying to go 80s but it's not happening in the mainstream is it? There's like dub step rap like ASAP Rocky. Looks like Lil Wayne was the Kurt Cobain of rap. The nostalgia thing is killing everything. There's a whole library of music history to access and mix and match. We don't need new music. We have gone full narcissism. Old bands do what they are told. People don't want great music, they just need a soundtrack to their social media life.

Edited by wasted

I think it's peaked. This is raps bloated 70s, raps Queen era and ELP era. Sales are down 25% on hip hop since last year. Feels weird, doesn't feel like it shouldn't be that far along. I mean it's been around since the 70s sure but it weren't in the mainstream since the 90s.

We're in that era where a genre goes soft, kinda like the 70s was for rock n roll, or late 70s rather. For as amazing as punk was it was really only a little flare up during an overall downward trajectory i think. Then again is that even a fair assessment cuz rock became massive in the 90s again, didn't it?

When a genre goes soft, it's heading South really. I never knew hip hop could be so inoffensive. Kendrick Lamar and Kanye, figureheads as they are, are really quite lightweight.

Edited by Len B'stard

It will take a GNR type rap group mixing NWA and Snoop Dogg to blow away the commercial rap. But the way things are people prob just download the Snoop or NWA app. Like relive that era through holograms instead of making a new group. The money has to be there to fuel it. Basically GTA V is the new NWA.

• Like 1

Also bands are having longer careers and holding on to their positions. Those 70s guys are all about the status. Look at Julian Casblancas. He just side stepped being huge. He rejected the Bono talk. It's just not cool to be a rock star.

Jay-z and Beyoncé are never going to let go. At least Dre stepped aside for Em and 50 to have a go. But aren't they controlling the industry almost like moguls?