Is there something wrong with Myles's voice?

Stro

From all the stuff in 2015 I've seen, he seems to rely HEAVILY on audience participation and ends up skipping a significant amount of lines through out the show letting the crowd "sing" instead of him. I've noticed that during GNR songs, he is all over the place going high to low and not even trying to hit higher registers that he was able to do fine for the past 3-4 years.

Is it a vocal problem he's having or is he just having trouble singing things at the sometimes significantly faster pace Slash tends to play live?

I would really like to think it's a pacing issue. Not to really reference Alter Bridge here (ehhh, I always do that anyways), but back within 2010-2011, they really have a huge pacing issue where they were just playing way too fast and it really showed at their Live at Wembley DVD and Myles wasn't sounding the greatest at that time (doing like 200 shows in 2011 for two bands, doesn't help the case as well). That stated, Alter Bridge understood the problem they found themselves into and decided to slow themselves down and play to a click track (is that what they call it?). Sure, some people nowadays think this move caused them to really lacked the energy of their earlier years of their performance, but I think in the long run this move was for the best for the band and Myles' voice and it didn't really hinder my enjoyment of their show in LA, one bit, which is the all time greatest experience I have ever had.

But yeah, I think any problems he may have is either, too much touring, or pacing issue, or he's sick. One of the three.

Edited by Anguyen92

I would really like to think it's a pacing issue. Not to really reference Alter Bridge here (ehhh, I always do that anyways), but back within 2010-2011, they really have a huge pacing issue where they were just playing way too fast and it really showed at their Live at Wembley DVD and Myles wasn't sounding the greatest at that time (doing like 200 shows in 2011 for two bands, doesn't help the case as well). That stated, Alter Bridge understood the problem they found themselves into and decided to slow themselves down and play to a click track (is that what they call it?). Sure, some people nowadays think this move caused them to really lacked the energy of their earlier years of their performance, but I think in the long run this move was for the best for the band and Myles' voice and it didn't really hinder my enjoyment of their show in LA, one bit, which is the all time greatest experience I have ever had.

But yeah, I think any problems he may have is either, too much touring, or pacing issue, or he's sick. One of the three.

That sounds likely - a pacing issue. They barely stop touring, do they? Slas and co).

Well its called Interaction with the Audience? Myles is a great vocalist, way better than what Axl is nowdays, some people compare him with Axl, both of them are different people.

Axl has nothing to do with this thread. Let's try to keep it that way.

• Like 3

Well its called Interaction with the Audience? Myles is a great vocalist, way better than what Axl is nowdays, some people compare him with Axl, both of them are different people.

The name GNR was mentioned and GNR songs were mentioned which were sung by Axl and there was even a mention about Myles going high and low, so I just pointed out the fact that Myles and Axl or even you and me are different people and your singing style would be different from mine vice versa

The name GNR was mentioned and GNR songs were mentioned which were sung by Axl and there was even a mention about Myles going high and low, so I just pointed out the fact that Myles and Axl or even you and me are different people and your singing style would be different from mine vice versa

Yes, but nobody is making a comparison between Myles and Axl to define which one is better. You are.

There's no reason to mention Axl -- at all, unless you want to turn this thread into another Axl vs Myles discussion.

• Like 4

It's no secret I've never paid all that much attention to Slash's solo career, but all I know is when Myles sang YCBM at Rock On The Range a few weeks ago it was one of the most embarrassingly bad vocal performances I've ever heard in person, barring let's say Vince Neil. I was there with 6 friends - four of whom had no opinion on Myles/Slash before their set, and two of which liked Myles; all 6 agreed Myles was horrendous that day, particularly on YCBM.

when Myles sang YCBM at Rock On The Range a few weeks ago it was one of the most embarrassingly bad vocal performances I've ever heard in person

Thought the same when I watched some clips. His voice seems to be in bad condition at this moment. He needs some rest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I definitely think it's just accumulated fatigue. That said, Myle's idea of being a frontman does involve a lot of audience participation (even though I feel like it always falls flat, haha).

Myles is probably one of the only guys around with the range required that also knows how to maintain his voice for such a crazy pace of touring. I feel like it results in a lot of timid and safe vocal performances -- a feeling of going through the motions. I get it though, because that's how bands make money now. If Myles did an Axl circa 1991 he'd probably end his career by the spring of next year.

If you listen to early Alter Bridge stuff you can hear a lot of cool vocal shit going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcYOS4btnmE

Not the best song but I wish he'd bring some of that growl/rasp to the Slash stuff nowadays.

Edited by Ant