Best Rap Albums of All Time

luciusfunk

What are some classic albums I've been missing?

I'm trying to expand what I've heard. So far it's mainly N.W.A, Public Enemy, Eminem, and Beastie Boys.

I did download (haven't listened yet) 2Pac's All Eyez On Me and Makaveli, Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready to Die and Life After Death, Wu-Tang's Enter the Wu-Tang, and ODB's hooray for tolerance! Please. Good jumping off point?

Edited by luciusfunk
  • Like 1

All great picks Sixes!

There are so many great ones depending on how deep you want to dig,this is in no order and not totally specific but I'd add any or all of these

De la Soul - is Dead

The Beatnuts - 1st album

EPMD - First three albums

Redman - First two albums

Kool G Rap - First couple albums

Gangstarr - Hard To Earn

3rd Bass - The Cactus Album

Ice Cube - Amerikkkaz Most Wanted

Ice Cube - Death Certificate

Del the funky Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here & No Need For Alarm

Souls of Mischief - 93 Til Infinity

The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde

Naughty By Nature

The Jungle Brothers - Straight Out The Jungle & Done By The forces of Nature

Cypress Hill - First few albums

The Alkaholiks - 21 and Over

Biz Markie - Greatest Hits

Main Source - Breaking Atoms

Diamond D - Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop

There are a bunch more but all of those are great one's to have in the collection as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Lots of good suggestions. For me, and I take my hip hop a little too serious, I recommend listening in some type of order. Not really exact chronological order, but something close. Lot of good history in hip hop. Over the years you can really hear the difference in sound and progression and change. Like I would tell anyone listen to ODB - Return to the 36 Chambers before N!gga Please. Or listen to Me Against the World before All Eyez on Me or Makaveli.

You got your old school with Run DMC, NWA, Public Enemy, the Beasties. This is a good list to go along with those...

a tribe called quest - the low end theory
eric b and rakim - paid in full
de la soul - 3 feet high and rising
slick rick - the great adventures of slick rick
boogie down productions - criminal minded

That Slick Rick and Eric B and Rakim are legendary. I might add...

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane or It's a Big Daddy Thing

LL Cool J - Bigger and Deffer or Mama Said Knock You Out

Big change in style after the 80s into the 90s.

Dr.Dre - The Chronic

Snoop - Doggystyle

Dogg Pound - Dogg Food

Eazy-E - It's On

Pac - Me Against the World (for my money his most important album)

Ice Cube - The Predator or Lethal Injection or Westside Connection

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Naughty by Nature - Self Titled or 19Naughty3

Nas - It Was Written or I am...

Mobb Deep - The Infamous

Scarface - The Diary

Wu-Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers and Wu-Tang Forever.

All of those first Wu solo albums are great,

Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx

GZA - Liquid Swords

ODB - Return to the 36 Chambers

Ghostface Killah - Ironman

Method Man - Tical

Another big change in style in the late 90s early 2000s

Dr.Dre - 2001

Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt or The Blueprint

50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin

Game- The Documentary or Doctor's Advocate

DMX - Flesh of My Flesh Blood of My Blood or It's Dark and Hell is Hot or And Then There Was X

Outkast - Aquemini or ATLiens or Stankonia

Ludacris - Back for the First Time

Scarface - The Fix

UGK - Underground Kingz

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

Start with J Dog's 90s list. It's not a bad Hip-Hop 101 jumping off point. Of course, if you really get into it, you'll want to go back further, but I'd start there. A lot of people in here are just giving their preferences, which is fine, but probably not what you're looking for. Spend lots of time with Wu, Biggie, Pac and early 90s Dre & Snoop.

WARNING: BLASPHEMY FOLLOWS:

Don't worry if you can't get into a few of them. Rappers get overhyped. Nas and Jay-Z for example.

Start with J Dog's 90s list. It's not a bad Hip-Hop 101 jumping off point. Of course, if you really get into it, you'll want to go back further, but I'd start there. A lot of people in here are just giving their preferences, which is fine, but probably not what you're looking for. Spend lots of time with Wu, Biggie, Pac and early 90s Dre & Snoop.

WARNING: BLASPHEMY FOLLOWS:

Don't worry if you can't get into a few of them. Rappers get overhyped. Nas and Jay-Z for example.

I can listen to Nas and Jay all day long, simply cuz their flows are so sick but like...overhyped in terms of quality of output? Y'know you do have a point there, as much as i hate to admit it, you can have a sick flow on shit songs. Illmatic, It Was Written, to me are fantastic. Jay generally doesn't really make ever so exceptional songs really, to my mind, i just love love love love his flow. It's kinda like a looser Biggie type flow. And Nas is like Rakims little boy rapping.

Nas puts me to sleep. Jay can knock it out of the park, but I don't often feel like sifting through 10 shit songs to find the one where he does.

I've heard that said a couple of times about Nas and it's put down to his like...very measured careful delivery. I get what he's trying to do, he's trying to do Rakim, where other rappers kinda have to shout loud or be super energetic Ra' was like...smooth. Like the man that don't run for no one, just cool and measured and slick. Problem is when Nas tries to do that, because he's kinda all round and cute looking it just comes off a bit...soft. Whereas Ra's whole stance, his face, it was all really like...serious and 'i ain't no joke'-ish. Which makes it come off all the better.

Agree with everything about Jay Z. Reasonable Doubt is the only album I really fuck with. He does have that nice flow though.

And Nas is like Rakims little boy rapping.

That was funny as hell.

I like Nas but I can see that too about being boring or even a little soft. Rakim had personality, even if he was serious. Where Nas it's just serious.