Gin

wasted

Vodka and tropical punch is well good.

I invented a drink I named The Concussion. 151 (or everclear if legal), grenadine, Hawaiian Punch, ice, blended. It was named when I had two and fell over and hit my head on the wall.

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2015 at 3:56 PM, Johnny Drama said:

Vodka and tropical punch is well good.

dark rum and tropical punch is better IMO! btw you are all destroying everything i thought i knew about the English and gin; in all the novels i've read written by English authors the characters all drink gin. gin and tonic or whatever pink gin is. i'm totally disillusioned.

gin was my alcohol of choice for years, i loved it. used to make strong drinks with Collins mix,tons of ice, fresh lime and orange juice and a splash of maraschino cherry juice. it was all fun and games until i was well in my cups and became a raging bitch. i still miss those drinks but don't touch gin anymore. 

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On 6/14/2015 at 0:22 AM, AxlisOld said:

I invented a drink I named The Concussion. 151 (or everclear if legal), grenadine, Hawaiian Punch, ice, blended. It was named when I had two and fell over and hit my head on the wall.

everclear is basically moonshine! i had two drinks, both with the smallest amount of everclear and mixed with hawaiian punch coincidentally and i almost immediately threw up! 151 is almost as bad. just say no :max:

50 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

everclear is basically moonshine! i had two drinks, both with the smallest amount of everclear and mixed with hawaiian punch coincidentally and i almost immediately threw up! 151 is almost as bad. just say no :max:

Breaking out everclear is a not fucking around kinda night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Call me a toff, I don't care, but a sloe gin fizz is great on a hot day.

never had a sloe gin fizz. i have had Ramos Gin Fizzes which are wonderful. also Singapore Slings are made with gin and i could drink those all day. i even emailed the Raffles Hotel and got the recipe cos they invented it. they were so cool, they emailed me with the recipe and sad they hoped i would come visit one day i wish. i could make a fairly close replica but i preferred going to this restaurant where they made the BEST ones. also their food was sublime but like most of the places i really loved they closed. plus i don't live in that city anymore. dammit i want gin now! :devilshades:

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

never had a sloe gin fizz. i have had Ramos Gin Fizzes which are wonderful. also Singapore Slings are made with gin and i could drink those all day. i even emailed the Raffles Hotel and got the recipe cos they invented it. they were so cool, they emailed me with the recipe and sad they hoped i would come visit one day i wish. i could make a fairly close replica but i preferred going to this restaurant where they made the BEST ones. also their food was sublime but like most of the places i really loved they closed. plus i don't live in that city anymore. dammit i want gin now! :devilshades:

They Emailed you back with their exact recipe? That's so sweet of them!

• Like 1

Just now, PappyTron said:

I think that American hotels would be less open! :lol:

probably. but when i worked in wholesale produce i dealt with a lot of chefs and a surprising amount shared their recipes when i asked. the best was this recipe for an amazing Portugeuse bean soup that i still make most winters :)

Hmmm. Gin. I'm more of a whisky man. But still, on a warm day in the sun a good gin-tonic hits the spot. 

I thought Rock Rose from Thurso (Scotland) is very good gin. Especially the higher abv editions pack a good punch. The Botanist is nice too, if you're into the floral gin's. As far as tonic's go, I'd prefer Schweppes over Royal Club. Otherwise not that into it. 

rock-rose-gin_2.jpg 

But honestly, the MUCH better drink would be Jenever (also Genever) or Dutch Gin for the British. Both are heavily influenced by the Genever berry and usually by citrus peals, but the similarities pretty much end there. Try to get your hands on Old Jenever. Young jenever is a fairly neutral alcohol with little more complexity than most gins. Maybe even less. Old Jenever is full of character and has more maltwine as a base. Young/old isn't about age by the way, it's about recipe. The barrel-aged old genever is by far the best variety for my liking.

The Zuidam Jevener range is fantastic imo. The 3 and 5 year old varieties have the best price/quality ratio. The 10 year old, though expensive, is great too. But has less of a punch. 

zuidam-zuidam-oude-genever-10-jaar-vatge 

zuidam+zeer+oude+jenever+5+jaar+liter.jp 

Get your hands on this if possible too. A stellar 18 year old Olorosso Sherry barrel-aged Jenever from my hometown:  

hooghoudt.jpg 

Edit: Zuidam makes a nice British-style Gin too, called Dutch Courage: 

zuidam-dutch-courage-gin.jpg 

Edited by username

6 minutes ago, username said:

But honestly, the MUCH better drink would be Jenever (also Genever) or Dutch Gin for the British.

Ah, Jenever! Brings back memories. Pleasant memories, even. 18 years old, on a EU thingy in Brussels, hanging with the hosts at a backalley drinking place where they served Jenever in bottles covered with newspapers. Smashing.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Ah, Jenever! Brings back memories. Pleasant memories, even. 18 years old, on a EU thingy in Brussels, hanging with the hosts at a backalley drinking place where they served Jenever in bottles covered with newspapers. Smashing.

The old stone jars you mean? :) 

damn now i am wanting gin again. the only good thing ever about going to my ex's parent's house was they always had tons of Tanqueray and were generous with it. i was a poor college student and i could only afford Gilbey's. i did manage once to buy a bottle of Bombay Sapphire that was really good. for some reason i could not stand Gordon's. i do like their vodka, especially when i keep in it the freezer and it gets so cold it's almost syupy. on Friday nights i used to get home from work and pour a large glass of it with some maraschino juice for flavor and chug it. my Dad once told me that Gordon't vodka was pure and it would not harm the body. turned out he was wrong!