Favorite Ozzy-Era Sabbath Album?

Cosmo

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i discovered sabbath with heaven and hell, my first ozzy album was master of reality about 3 months after i heard heaven and hell for the first time. sabbath will always be my favorite band each album always brought something new to the table.

I was given (the then current album) Cross Purposes by a friend in high school because she bought it thinking it was an Ozzy album- that was the first non Oz album I heard (also my fave of the TM albums)...I just had to pipe in and say that when I got around to Heaven and Hell I was blown away again.

I don't honestly like the Dio stuff as much as the 70's albums, but they're amazing in their own right.

Never got into the Ozzy vs Dio shit.

the way i always looked at it was it sucks the way it ended for ozzy/sabbath but in reality we got double the awesome albums.

heaven and hell, mob rules, blizzard of oz and diary of a madman in what a 2 year span? not to mention live evil and speak at the devil. dio sabbath was my favorite era but your talking 2 era's that were just amazing. if sabbath only made those 8 albums with ozzy they would still be my favorite band.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

I could never get into Vol 4. I always felt that it was the weakest of the first six albums. There's just something lacking on that one for me....

Different for sure with the ballad "Changes" and the acoustic "Laguna Sunrise" but if you take those out it is a pretty heavy album. They were doing a lot of coke back when they recorded that album so it is very dark.

IMHO "Wheels of Confusion" might be the heaviest riff Iommi ever wrote.

I remember when this album came out and it did spark a lot of controversy because it had a ballad and acoustic number on it. I did not buy it for a while as I was worried I would not like it because of what I read as I was not into soft stuff. I ended up hearing "Wheels of Confusion" being played in between sets at a concert as background music I was attending and it sounded amazing though the house P.A. . Tony's droning riff and Bill's drumming were mesmerizing for me so I went out and bought a copy the next day.

It may not be the most consistent album in their catalog but it has two of my favorite songs they ever wrote. I love all their albums but for me it is my favorite over the other albums by a short and curly.

I could never get into Vol 4. I always felt that it was the weakest of the first six albums. There's just something lacking on that one for me....

Different for sure with the ballad "Changes" and the acoustic "Laguna Sunrise" but if you take those out it is a pretty heavy album. They were doing a lot of coke back when they recorded that album so it is very dark.

I remember when this album came out and it did spark a lot of controversy because it had a ballad and acoustic number on it. I did not buy it for a while as I was worried I would not like it because of what I read as I was not into soft stuff. I ended up hearing "Wheels of Confusion" being played in between sets at a concert as background music I was attending and it sounded amazing though the house P.A. . Tony's droning riff and Bill's drumming were mesmerizing for me so I went out and bought a copy the next day.

It may not be the most consistent album in their catalog but it has two of my favorite songs they ever wrote. I love all their albums but for me it is my favorite over the other albums by a short and curly.

I actually think it's THE most consistent album on the whole catalog along with Sabotage. My favorite albums are Vol 4, SBS and Sabotage as I said before but the question with SBS is, it's a bumpier ride for me. While I think no song on Vol.4 can compare to SBS the song, for example, I skip no song on Vol.4 like I skip Fluff in the middle or, depending on my mood, Who Are You. IMO, everything in Vol.4 makes it brilliant. Changes is the perfect Sabbath ballad, FX makes us know the kind of stoner vibe that was going on at the studio at the time, Laguna Sunrise is an awesome little number after the monstrosity of Cornucopia... it's like they wrote down what they were gonna do before they did it, y'know? Like "Hey, let's make an awesome album. On track three, we need a ballad, on track seven, a fucking heavy one and on eight, an acoustic instrumental. On nine we put a crazy little piece and on ten we end it with the behemoth." 'cause it's almost a perfect album structure for me. Master of Reality gives me the same feeling except that I don't like After Forever and I'm fed up with Into The Void after having played it a thousand times with my band :lol:

I actually think it's THE most consistent album on the whole catalog along with Sabotage. My favorite albums are Vol 4, SBS and Sabotage as I said before but the question with SBS is, it's a bumpier ride for me. While I think no song on Vol.4 can compare to SBS the song, for example, I skip no song on Vol.4 like I skip Fluff in the middle or, depending on my mood, Who Are You. IMO, everything in Vol.4 makes it brilliant. Changes is the perfect Sabbath ballad, FX makes us know the kind of stoner vibe that was going on at the studio at the time, Laguna Sunrise is an awesome little number after the monstrosity of Cornucopia... it's like they wrote down what they were gonna do before they did it, y'know? Like "Hey, let's make an awesome album. On track three, we need a ballad, on track seven, a fucking heavy one and on eight, an acoustic instrumental. On nine we put a crazy little piece and on ten we end it with the behemoth." 'cause it's almost a perfect album structure for me. Master of Reality gives me the same feeling except that I don't like After Forever and I'm fed up with Into The Void after having played it a thousand times with my band :lol:

It is my favorite as well but when I say consistent I really mean it is not as consistently heavy from beginning to end like some of the other albums you mentioned. It has textures the other albums lack, which to me is a plus, but back in the day those same textures came under criticism as it not being a typical Black Sabbath album. It certainly was a departure from the first three albums even if it was a small departure.

As an analogy it would be like AC/DC doing ballads, acoustic instrumentals, any kind of "stoner rock" vibe or anything but straight rock on one of their albums. Some fans might appreciate it but it will certainly disappoint other fans and be controversial which Vol. 4 was back when it was released.

Edited by classicrawker

Master Of Reality.

This is the "correct" answer, if you wanna find their best record, it's MOR

Probably the most cohesive, ground breaking album of all time in rock/metal music

I do love ALL of the Ozzy era albums, even TE and NSD

SBS's sounding are really not my cup of tea, but the songs were good

The great thing is with 70's Sabbath that every record sounds different literally

Sabotage. So angry!

This dude knows his shit. Hole In The Sky, Symptom of the Universe, Megalomania, The Writ... man... that's a masterpiece!

yeah, very close call to MOR

Great album, also great period for their live shows

The real answer here is The Mob Rules.

Sorry, not sorry :awesomeface:

yeah, that was the best Dio fronted album in history, imho

The real answer here is The Mob Rules.

Sorry, not sorry :awesomeface:

yeah, that was the best Dio fronted album in history, imho

Even though The Mob Rules is my favorite metal album of all time, I think I'd have to say Rising is actually my favorite Dio-fronted album from any band. I don't know, it's really close between those two.

Sabbath have probably on of the greatest excellent album run in history

it's a good run, but I wouldn't put it up there with the greatest.

I would, certainly.

How many bands/artists do you know what had at least a six excellent album run in which AT LEAST four at cited as among the greatest ever recorded in their genre? I can't even name many bands that had a perfect six album run like Sabbath did, in which fans discuss which are their favorite albums from debut to Sabotage without having a weak link in the middle, yet alone analyzing the quality of each of those albums, and the importance they had to music as a whole. I'm gonna try to name a few six album runs that I think can compare to Sabbath:

- The Beatles, had a bigger run from their debut to The White Album, that's an 8 straight.

- Led Zeppelin, same as Sabbath. From debut to Physical Graffiti. If you consider them better or not, it's a matter of taste. Zeppelin and Sabbath are both of immeasurable importance to rock/metal music.

- Iron Maiden, from debut to Seventh Son. A 7-album streak. Amazing. I personally don't like Piece of Mind that much but I know it's a matter of taste and the fanbase loves it.

Can't think of many others that can compare to Sabbath and those three but these are honorable mentions:

- KISS, from debut to Love Gun. Made them one of the biggest bands in the world in the late seventies.

- AC/DC from High Voltage to Back in Black. Then For Those About to Rock dropped the ball.

- Aerosmith from debut to Rocks. Four albums. Not too much but those were iconic four albums.

- Rush, from 2112 to Moving Pictures. Amazing 5 albums.

But yes, Sabbath is probably among the best, IMO.

Edited by Cosmo

I would, certainly.

How many bands/artists do you know what had at least a six excellent album run in which AT LEAST four at cited as among the greatest ever recorded in their genre? I can't even name many bands that had a perfect six album run like Sabbath did, in which fans discuss which are their favorite albums from debut to Sabotage without having a weak link in the middle, yet alone analyzing the quality of each of those albums, and the importance they had to music as a whole. I'm gonna try to name a few six album runs that I think can compare to Sabbath:

- The Beatles, had a bigger run from their debut to The White Album, that's an 8 straight.

- Led Zeppelin, same as Sabbath. From debut to Physical Graffiti. If you consider them better or not, it's a matter of taste. Zeppelin and Sabbath are both of immeasurable importance to rock/metal music.

- Iron Maiden, from debut to Seventh Son. A 7-album streak. Amazing. I personally don't like Piece of Mind that much but I know it's a matter of taste and the fanbase loves it.

Can't think of many others that can compare to Sabbath and those three but these are honorable mentions:

- KISS, from debut to Love Gun. Made them one of the biggest bands in the world in the late seventies.

- AC/DC from High Voltage to Back in Black. Then For Those About to Rock dropped the ball.

- Aerosmith from debut to Rocks. Four albums. Not too much but those were iconic four albums.

Actually, I'd say Rush's streak goes from 2112 to Power Windows.

I would, certainly.

I'm not that familiar with Signals and Power Windows. Does the fanbase usually appreciate them and consider them as good as the others?

I would, certainly.

I'm not that familiar with Signals and Power Windows. Does the fanbase usually appreciate them and consider them as good as the others?

Yeah, I would say Rush's streak is their debut to Moving Pictures, which is an incredible 8 year span of albums. It goes downhill after that, and I feel even if you appreciate it you'll admit the albums are much more hit or miss. But maybe I'm wrong and people consider their true start 2112.

As for Sabbath, I don't think its one of the greatest runs in history, but it is certainly significant and it helps greatly that each one is different from the other. Gives each one its own identity and there's a lot more to explore with them than other artists. Almost makes it feel like more than 8 albums.

Paranoid was one of the very first heavy metal albums I bought with my own money.

I remember listening to it and thinking how amazing this album was. Ozzy's voice and the guitar and the words to the songs, just fantastic!

Loved the album cover with the woman in the cemetery. It gave me chills first time I saw it.

I would, certainly.

Yeah, I would say Rush's streak is their debut to Moving Pictures, which is an incredible 8 year span of albums. It goes downhill after that, and I feel even if you appreciate it you'll admit the albums are much more hit or miss. But maybe I'm wrong and people consider their true start 2112.

As for Sabbath, I don't think its one of the greatest runs in history, but it is certainly significant and it helps greatly that each one is different from the other. Gives each one its own identity and there's a lot more to explore with them than other artists. Almost makes it feel like more than 8 albums.

Thing is, many fans consider Caress Of Steel to be kinda weak compared to the other albums. So, it kinda breaks the streak. Same with The Beatles, if it weren't for Yellow Submarine, which isn't in the same level as the others, their entire discography could've been flawless, basically.

I would honestly agree with the Caress Of Steel comment. Until literally a month ago when I "rediscovered" The Necromancer and Fountain Of Lamneth. The two songs I never really liked, and they take up over half the album so its a substantial problem. Heard them last month during my "Rush mode" and they were great. Obviously not flawless, but thats classic Rush there and its really made me reevaluate the whole album. I now kind of put it on par with the rest of their stuff from that era.

But its definitely true that 2112 is a shift. I wouldn't deny that. Everyone before it IS kind of child's play once 2112 enters the picture. And then that run through Moving Pictures really just solidifies what Rush is. You don't really need the pre-2112 albums to get it, and the early albums are admittedly kind of a different band (a different band I love, but I fully understand Rush IS the 2112-Moving Pictures era). Its not like a band like KISS where the early albums were poorly recorded, but the songs are classics. Early Rush is a totally different animal to when they'd put out La Villa Strangiato which sounded like they were doing it with no effort at all. That sound from 2112 to Moving Pictures was all their own and totally natural.

ANYWAY, back to Sabbath lol. Didn't mean to derail there and actually forgot this wasn't the Rush thread. Heard Technical Ecstasy today and was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I only knew Its Alright before today, for obvious reasons.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

i mean sabbath had a streak of 8/10 albums that are considered classic albums, thats a pretty strong run. TE and NSD to me are mediocre albums but they have some good songs on them and arent total throw aways.

why is everybody talking about Rush on a Sabbath topic?

lol Rush
over rated band

i mean sabbath had a streak of 8/10 albums that are considered classic albums, thats a pretty strong run. TE and NSD to me are mediocre albums but they have some good songs on them and arent total throw aways.

The funny thing is i think NSD is even better than SBS and TE combined, contains more great riffs and guitar playing and Ozzy actually sing some great melodies and Bill's drumming were top notch (even his voice was ok)

But like i said i absolutely love all of the Ozzy Sabbath albums

Edited by Strange Broue

I would, certainly.

Um, I think a band named the Rolling Stones had a pretty good run of albums in the 60's and 70's if I am not mistaken. You may have heard of them? :P

why is everybody talking about Rush on a Sabbath topic?

lol Rush

over rated band

The funny thing is i think NSD is even better than SBS and TE combined, contains more great riffs and guitar playing and Ozzy actually sing some great melodies and Bill's drumming were top notch (even his voice was ok)

But like i said i absolutely love all of the Ozzy Sabbath albums

i used to detest the albums to be honest but over the course of the last couple of years i have started spinning them more and more, maybe im starting to appreciate them more than i use to.