Cat ownership

Gracii Guns

I've been offered a newborn kitten. I always thought it unfair to keep a cat in a first floor flat, as cats are really all about adventures, sniffing other cats' bums and other awesome things. But I do know a few people who live in flats similar to ours who have cats.

As I'm going to be working from home, it might be a good time to take up the offer of one, so I don't get as lonely.

I've not lived with a cat before. So I'd appreciate any advice as to should we get one or not. Thanks!

Cats are great. They're cute, they're badass (watch a cat hunt if you don't think so), and they're pretty much the easiest animal in the world to own. Here's my advice, for what it's worth:

1. Get it.

2. Do whatever ARQ says, vets-wise.

3. Guard anything you don't want scratched up.

4. Buy a litter box, litter, cat food and some lint rollers.

5. Enjoy adorable kitty.

• Like 4

I never liked cats until I moved in with fiancé, who owned Nick, now our cat, for the past eight years. They're pretty amazing animals and will provide many years of companionship if looked after properly.

A few things I've learned about cats since becoming an owner of one:

1. They will likely train you.

Maybe I'm a pushover, but Nick, our cat, has a daily routine that he does not like to deviate from. He will hound me most of the morning until he gets his treats. He will hound my fiancé and I in the evening until he gets brushed. He will paw slap my fiancé early in the morning if she tries to sleep in and not give him fresh food.

2. They are responsibility and will tax your time and finances

Be ready for vet, food, and medical bills. Pet ownership can be expensive, especially in later years. That said, the love and companionship you get in return more than offsets the cost. But there are too many pet owners who already do not provide the adequate care for their cats and dogs. So if you accept the kitten, please be ready to forfeit some of your time and wages towards an animal who will need both.

3. Have trusted friends and/or family to help

When you own a pet, your ability to take extended time away from home becomes limited. We're fortunate enough to have neighbours who we can trust if we're gone for more than a couple of days to come check in on Nick and freshen up his food and water. My fiancé's parents will often babysit Nick if we're gone for a week or more. If you like to travel or must take time away relating to work, you'll need friends/family to look after your cat.

4. Get an orange cat if possible

Based on anecdotal evidence, orange cats (whether solidly orange or white and orange) seem to be the friendliest and love to cuddle the most.

5. You will wish you had done this sooner.

They truly are great pets as you don't need to walk them, they can clean themselves (though brushing them every so often helps), can take care of any rodents who happen to be unwanted guests, and will return any and all love tenfold. So long as you're prepared for the responsibility, I say go for it.

• Like 4

Kind of in the same boat as Downzy. I didn't kind cats before; Always loved kittens. But I gained a bigger appreciation and liking for them after being with my current girlfriend and being around her cats (started with 3 and now has a 4th within the last 3 months or so). Each one has its own personality and they really are sweet. And they sure do have their own agendas :lol:

I still prefer dogs, and was never against cays, but am a lot more open and accepting of them now.

Also, kittens are too adorable to pass up.

• Like 1

Don't kid yourself. You will be permitted to live in your cat's flat.

They are great pets. I had cats in apartments for years. I would always have a tall cat pole so they could jump up and climb it. Get a scratch pad for him. It will ease the furniture scratching, but not eliminate it.

• Like 1

During the war, Europeans resorted to eating cat (and dog meat). People's domestic Tom would just suddenly go missing, ending up in a pie.

Wouldnt half put you off eh? Getting your gob round a steak and kidney pie only to find Bagpusses tail stickin' out of it :lol:

My problem with pets is im a bit of a slob already, pets would just make the fucking place fester.

Edited by Len B'stard

Okay kittens are like babies you need to give them plenty of attention.

If you have a littler box, put their feet in it and use their paws to touch the litter. This will tell the cat where they are to pee and poop.

Don't leave dangerous stuff around, they may eat it and get sick.

If you let the cat out to explore, make sure you have a tag with your name and address or phone number so if she gets lost people will know who owns her.

Kittens like to climb things like your couch or bed or your drapes. You have to get a scratching post for her to do all this stuff.

Kittens don't sleep much at night until they get older, so this is the time she may explore and get into your stuff.

Don't ever give a cat a bath, they keep themselves clean.

Give them plenty of attention and love. They need that to become contented cats.

I've always had cats and one things I've learned is that all cats have different personalities. You will have to get to know her moods and habits.

But always remember animals give you unconditional love. you are their world. They need you to love them and feed them and always take care of them.

When an animal loves you it's the best feeling in the world. Cats to me are amazing animals because they love you but keep their independence too. It's a great combination. She will be a great comfort to you and you will be happier for it.

Good luck. Oh and if you get a littler box, always keep it clean.

Edited by Val22
  • Like 1

Get one. I got insanely lucky with my cat. Wife got it for my birthday (lol), took our at the time 7 month old to meet it before agreeing to take it. Those 2 hit it off good so she brought it home. Best cat I've ever seen. Lazy most of the time, likes playing here and there, never scratched anything in the house. Our kid is now 2 and a half and goes after the cat all the damn time yanking the living shit out of her tail and she's never lashed out at my kid.

Litter is the main thing that I find costs money. I find I go through litter a lot. Food is nothing. She eats nothing but dry food. 15 bucks for the biggest bag I can get at the store. In the 2 years I've had the cat, I've bought 4 bags of food. So I'm insanely happy with that.

I've had nothing but good experiences with mine. Go ahead and get one of you can. Just leave a curtain open. Windows are like tv's for cats. They'll sit there for hours looking out it.

Edited by Gunner55

Watch these little guys and tell me you don't want a wittle kitten.

Then in a year or so... they're annoying vicious little beats that pray on smaller animals, throw up everywhere, crap on the kitchen floor, wake you up at 4:AM by climbing the walls/scratching under the doors because it's starting to get light.

They look so adorable when they're jumping up, climbing your legs/purring and wanting to be lifted. Then you realize they only come to you when they want something and at night they think your bed is theirs.

Watch these little guys and tell me you don't want a wittle kitten.

https://youtu.be/2p3yLCfiYXA

Then in a year or so... they're annoying vicious little beats that pray on smaller animals, throw up everywhere, crap on the kitchen floor, wake you up at 4:AM by climbing the walls/scratching under the doors because it's starting to get light.

They look so adorable when they're jumping up, climbing your legs/purring and wanting to be lifted. Then you realize they only come to you when they want something and at night they think your bed is theirs.

I didn't say cats aren't assholes. Kittens are just the cutest things in the world though.