Dave Grohl Falls Off Stage Breaks Leg - Finishes the Show/

CheapJon

That's cool and all but knowing Dave, he did for the buzz it would generate, for the aftereffect and not for the sake of that concert per se.

:facepalm:

Say what you want, he's a nice guy, I like the Foo Fighters, went to their concert this year but... the man is the musician version of Angelina Jolie. He wants to be everything, every time. He craves attention and he fuels on it. Everything they do feels unnatural to me, it's like they're rehearsed. It's like they do it for the buzz. He wants to be everywhere! 50 freaking all-star side projects, documentaries, megalomaniac new album which was no different than any other Foo album in terms of sound, really. He's one of those guys that, he's probably got a public relations advisor, and if he doesn't step back for a bit, it's gonna go Black Eyed Peas on him: "step away for a bit, son. Step away 'cause people are tired of your face".

Go fucking listen to Axl Rose then if you want artistic integrity...... oh wait...... Your post is complete and utter shit.

Why would Dave intentionally fell and break his leg if he wants it for attention? Foo Fighters has to cancel two shows because of this accident, costing them some good revenue and preventing their fans, some that's probably been waiting a long time to see them for the 1st time, to see them.

You can say what you want about Grohl, but man, that guy has a huge desire to play in from any kind of people whether 50, 500, 5000 or 50,000 people. I think something like canceling two shows is going to bum him out a lot more than reaping whatever "attention" the fall caused.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

That's cool and all but knowing Dave, he did for the buzz it would generate, for the aftereffect and not for the sake of that concert per se.

Say what you want, he's a nice guy, I like the Foo Fighters, went to their concert this year but... the man is the musician version of Angelina Jolie. He wants to be everything, every time. He craves attention and he fuels on it. Everything they do feels unnatural to me, it's like they're rehearsed. It's like they do it for the buzz. He wants to be everywhere! 50 freaking all-star side projects, documentaries, megalomaniac new album which was no different than any other Foo album in terms of sound, really. He's one of those guys that, he's probably got a public relations advisor, and if he doesn't step back for a bit, it's gonna go Black Eyed Peas on him: "step away for a bit, son. Step away 'cause people are tired of your face".

Do it while you can, cause life is short. Public figure wants a buzz, so odd. Musician wants to play a lot, that's twisted.

Tired of his face, off switch.

I like him. Wasn't crazy about Sonic Highways, but loved Back and Forth. I like a lot of his music and I like that there is a lot of it to choose from.

Very cool to get back on stage, but watched the video a couple of times and can't figure out how he couldn't see the edge of the stage.

People on this forum are so bitter

Singer falls off stage. Breaks leg. Doesn't cancel show. Comes back and finishes show. That's cool no matter what band it was.

But you guys are bitching about it?

Can we not just make fun of someone who fell over please? :D

Go fucking listen to Axl Rose then if you want artistic integrity...... oh wait...... Your post is complete and utter shit.

I won't listen to fucking Axl Rose if I want artistic integrity, he's got none. Nor will I listen to Foo Fighters, U2, Slash, or whatever. But that's not the point, genius. The point is, yes it is pretty cool he finished the concert with the broken leg, but this dude needs to step out of the fucking limelight for a while 'cause he's shoving himself down people's throat and up their asses for a while now, and some people, like me, are beginning to think he's an attention whore, even if, like me, they like the band. So stop getting fucking butt hurt about my post criticizing your mancrush, idol, whatever Dave Growl is to you that gets you "upset".

Edited by Cosmo

Zero chance Axl would have handled this like Dave. Axl would have had a tantrum and blamed the lighting guy or the crew for falling and telling everyone to fuck off and gotten out of there ASAP. Say what you want about Dave but this was a gutsy move on his part.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dave-grohl-breaks-leg-but-continues-to-rock-in-sweden-20150613

• Like 1

He's driven, motivated, and loves music.

In a way, the same things people hated about Phil Collins is what people hate about Dave Grohl (both happen to be great drummers) when they became frontmen.

Sonic Highways was a savvy way to have millions of people hear a new album and have the sessions paid for and recouped through making a documentary. If you saw "Back and Forth", about 15 minutes of it was the "Wasting Light" sessions, then the "Sound City" documentary where they filmed all the performances, and then "Sonic HIghways" was part history lesson, part shameless album promotion. I still think Probot was a cool thing he did with the metal bands. I'm sure Duff and Slash have nothing but nice things to say about him.

Zero chance Axl would have handled this like Dave. Axl would have had a tantrum and blamed the lighting guy or the crew for falling and telling everyone to fuck off and gotten out of there ASAP. Say what you want about Dave but this was a gutsy move on his part.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dave-grohl-breaks-leg-but-continues-to-rock-in-sweden-20150613

Merged your thread with the one that was already created on the topic.

Now I like the Foos and all, but Uncle Dave is starting to get on my tits. He just seems too eager to please, it's like he's trying too hard and it's getting a tad nauseating. I actually kind of want my rockstars to be a bit cunt-ish and Axl fills that role brilliantly. If I want a trusty old friend who I can always count on then I'll find any number of diamond blokes down the local boozer. It may sound a bit cliché, but when I listen to some rock'n'roll I want to feel the old adrenaline pumping and like I can walk out of the show sticking my middle finger up to the man, not saying "wasn't that Dave guy a lovely chap? I'd let him babysit my kids in a heartbeat."

Do it while you can, cause life is short. Public figure wants a buzz, so odd. Musician wants to play a lot, that's twisted.

Tired of his face, off switch.

I like him. Wasn't crazy about Sonic Highways, but loved Back and Forth. I like a lot of his music and I like that there is a lot of it to choose from.

Very cool to get back on stage, but watched the video a couple of times and can't figure out how he couldn't see the edge of the stage.

This might be the only music forum in the world where people bash musicians who enjoy playing/releasing/sharing music.

Some people get so wrapped up defending and justifying Axl's hermit like career that they actually start to believe that musicians who release music are pure evil.

Now I like the Foos and all, but Uncle Dave is starting to get on my tits. He just seems too eager to please, it's like he's trying too hard and it's getting a tad nauseating. I actually kind of want my rockstars to be a bit cunt-ish and Axl fills that role brilliantly. If I want a trusty old friend who I can always count on then I'll find any number of diamond blokes down the local boozer. It may sound a bit cliché, but when I listen to some rock'n'roll I want to feel the old adrenaline pumping and like I can walk out of the show sticking my middle finger up to the man, not saying "wasn't that Dave guy a lovely chap? I'd let him babysit my kids in a heartbeat."

I respectfully disagree 100%.

I might have agreed with you when I was 17.

But now?

Naw.

I want a musician that releases music on a consistent basis, puts on great live shows, and does interviews so he keeps his fan base up-to-date on what the band is doing. That, my friend, is a true rock star.

'Hes driven!'

'He's motivated!'

'He's such a nice guy!'

'So uh, what are the tunes like?'

'Ummm...he's such a nice guy!'

I'm not that big of a fan of the band, I usually only like 1-2 songs from each album they release. I do like Best of You, The Pretender and Everlong.

They are just an old fashion rock and roll band. Some pop hits, some heavy songs and the ballads. Not too edgy or grunge-ish. Just a safe, polished rock band.

I'm taking this from the Wiki, I don't know that much about them.

But apparently Dave is extremely talented and he wrote and recorded their first album on his own - playing EVERY instrument.

They've released eight studio albums, sold maybe 20 million copies world wide, hold the record for occupying the top spot on the rock chart, and have had albums and songs go to number one on the Billboard to chart as well as the rock charts.

And I hear he was a key part of another older fairly popular band as well.

Basically, Dave is the complete opposite of Axl Rose.

He routinely puts out albums, plays with a lot of other artists, tries to put on the best show possible live, and is very media/fan friendly.

I want a musician that releases music on a consistent basis, puts on great live shows, and does interviews so he keeps his fan base up-to-date on what the band is doing. That, my friend, is a true rock star.

Ugh. I want to vomit at that description. You have just described Myles Kennedy down to a T. And he is dull as dishwater. And that's an insult to dishwater.

At the end of the day, isn't rock'n'roll all about feeling 17?? When did it all become so God-damn PC and mature??

Don't get me wrong, Axl Rose is a cunt. He's a lazy, good-for-nothing has been and if he was a real person in my life I would likely want to smack him in the face for his off-the-charts levels of douchbaggery. But when he comes out on stage - even now when he's fat, bloated and singing terribly, you're still like "fuck yeah, it's Axl Rose man." Nobody thinks that when Myles Kennedy whimpers onto the stage.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Ugh. I want to vomit at that description. You have just described Myles Kennedy down to a T. And he is dull as dishwater. And that's an insult to dishwater.

At the end of the day, isn't rock'n'roll all about feeling 17?? When did it all become so God-damn PC and mature.

Don't get me wrong, Axl Rose is a cunt. He's a lazy, good-for-nothing has been and if he was a real person in my life I would likely want to smack him in the face for his off-the-charts levels of douchbaggery. But when he comes out on stage - even now when he's fat, bloated and singing terribly, you're still like "fuck yeah, it's Axl Rose man." Nobody thinks that when Myles Kennedy whimpers onto the stage.

Except for Myles Kennedy fans.

PC and mature? Well, either you like a band for the music or you like a band for their image.

And no - when Axl comes out fat and bloated and singing terribly it makes most of us embarrassed as a life-time die-hard fan of his.

I want Axl Rose to kick the rock world's ass again like he did between 1987-1992.

Are you saying that you'd STOP being a fan of Axl if he started releasing albums every three years, did lots of interviews, and got in shape and started putting on killer shows........but he did it with no rants, no temper tantrums and started showing his fans some respect? You'd be like "fuck this guy, he's sold out to the man!!!!"

I'm a fan of Axl Rose's music.

You apparently are a fan of Axl Rose's persona.

And that's cool. To each their own.

All I really care about his the music he shares with his fans. I couldn't really care less if he is a saint or a sinner, a serial killer or a preacher, a good dude or a bad boy.

PC and mature? Well, either you like a band for the music or you like a band for their image.

Why does it have to be one of the other? I love GNR for their music, but I also think Axl Rose epitomises everything a good rockstar should be

Apollo, on 15 Jun 2015 - 6:36PM, said:

Are you saying that you'd STOP being a fan of Axl if he started releasing albums every three years, did lots of interviews, and got in shape and started putting on killer shows........but he did it with no rants, no temper tantrums and started showing his fans some respect? You'd be like "fuck this guy, he's sold out to the man!!!!"

Of course I would love the man to make more music on a more regular basis. But interviews? Couldn't give a flying fuck. I actually dig that he's not a complete media whore and has in turn, inadvertently become something of an enigma in the rock world. Makes him appear far more interesting than he probably really is. And as for getting in shape, he's a singer, not an athlete. I really couldn't care less about his weight, so long as he's delivering the goods (which granted, he's not at the moment, but that's not the point).

In an ideal world, he'd be putting music out more regularly and making the effort for Guns to function as a legitimate band, but, for reasons unknown to all of us, that's not how he chooses to operate and there's bugger all any of us can do about that. But in terms of rock'n'roll as sheer escapism, I would be far more entertained watching Axl Rose in concert in 2015 than I would the Foos or Myles/Slash, even with the absence of new music. The man has charisma in spades and part of what made him such a force to be reckoned with back in the day was his sheer arrogance. His fierce determination and absolute bloody-minded refusal to compromise or back down no matter how absurd the situation. And it translated into the music. It wasn't just an act, you felt it was real as you watched him perform. I really believe that is why the original band resonated with so many people, yes, the music was first class, but there was also an authenticity driving the music which can't be faked.

And he was never a people pleaser, infact he was the antithesis of that, so quite why any fans still hold out that he'll become one with age is mind-boggling.

Edited by Towelie

Or he just described Bono and Eddie Vedder and Dave Grohl etc etc. You know real rockstars still doing their thing at the top of their game while not neglecting or resenting their fanbase.

Edited by Bono

Or he just described Bono and Eddie Vedder and Dave Grohl etc etc. You know real rockstars still doing their thing at the top of their game while not neglecting or resenting their fanbase.

True and I'm not an apologist for Axl's twattery. But every one of us returns daily to a message board dedicated to a man who has released one album of original material in 22 years, so there must be something other than the music that keeps us coming back.

True and I'm not an apologist for Axl's twattery. But every one of us returns daily to a message board dedicated to a man who has released one album of original material in 22 years, so there must be something other than the music that keeps us coming back.

the lulz, Axl doesn't matter anymore

i would say other than that, the leaks, but that is not allowed here so...

Edited by Strange Broue

The only thing that keeps us coming back IS the music. If it wasn't fo the music none of us would be here. It isn't about Axl's mystique that so many zealots want the rest of us to believe. It's about the music, only the music and nothing but the music and the hope that we might one day get something good again.

• Like 1