BUMBLEFOOT On His GUNS N' ROSES Bandmates: 'I Don't Know If We Ever Got To Really Know Each Other'

bumblefoot2014studiochair_638.jpg

In a brand new interview with Rock.About.com, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal was asked if it's true that he was not treated well when he first joined the Axl Rose-fronted group in 2006 and that he had to "get a little violent" to gain other members' respect.

"You know what?! I don't want to get into dirt and all that negative crap," he responded. "There were so many good things that happened with GUNS. People just wanna put all the bad stuff on Wikipedia. They don't wanna talk about any of the good stuff. They don't wanna talk about visiting a children's hospital in Dallas.'

He continued: "Well, ultimately, when I joined the band, in the first month, it's true and I'm not revealing anything that I haven't already put out there. So it wasn't the warmest welcome. I kind of had to earn it… I think it was just more of a situation like a new family member was brought home without the other siblings' consent [laughs], or to their surprise. It was, like, 'Who the fuck is this guy?' [laughs< ] So it took a good minute for us to get to know each other. I don't know if we ever did. I don't know if we ever got to really know each other, to be honest. I feel like the environment I was in never gave me a chance to just comfortably be myself and not feel guarded. But that's just me, and that's just the way the pieces fell, you know."

Thal recently revealed that he was focusing on his solo career after spending eight years playing in the Axl Rose-fronted band. Thal, however, stopped short of saying that he was no longer a member of GUNS N' ROSES, which has caused some fans to criticize him for not coming clean about where he stands with the group.

Thal responded to one fan via Facebook about the lack of clarity surrounding his position in GUNS N' ROSES. He wrote: "I can't erase a decade of history and I can't stop the media from asking what they want to ask and making up their own titles on their interviews and posts. No matter how much I ask them not to do it."

He added: "I've been honoring a request to not make any public statements about anything related to it, which continues to put me in a very awkward position that I don't want to be in. Not how I do things, repeatedly taking the bullet on this one."

Bumblefoot joined GUNS N' ROSES in early 2006 as the replacement for Buckethead. He made his live debut with the band at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City on May 12, 2006.

Bumblefoot released a new solo album, "Little Brother Is Watching", on February 24. The disc was composed, produced, recorded, mixed and mastered by Bumblefoot at his studio in New Jersey, and also features drummer Dennis Leeflang.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumblefoot-on-his-guns-n-roses-bandmates-i-dont-know-if-we-ever-got-to-really-know-each-other/

I wonder who he was getting bullied by? I have a feeling that Stinson and maybe Fink were rude to Ron and were not friendly or maybe everyone was ganging up on him, I will leave Axl aside cause Axl doesn't even cares who is in the band or not.

If anyone knows, then what were the stories told by Ron about which band member was rude to him?

Well....if this doesn't show he's out of GNR then nothing will

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that after 28th June his gnr contract is officially up, hopefully someone with a set of balls will say something then !

Ron, Frank, DJ and Richard seem like they get along, but he's talking about when he first got in the band and they were probably busting his balls because they probably thought of him as a studio guy like Tobias. Guess who didn't like Paul Huge as much as Slash? Tommy Stinson.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that after 28th June his gnr contract is officially up, hopefully someone with a set of balls will say something then !

28th June 2014 or 2015? I thought his contract was over sometime after june 2014

They only have Ron a month to learn the meterial that guns were talking on the road, and a fair bit was unreleased , so learn demos not just listen to slash's parts

Lot of pressure on him really to pull it off

I wonder who he was getting bullied by? I have a feeling that Stinson and maybe Fink were rude to Ron and were not friendly or maybe everyone was ganging up on him, I will leave Axl aside cause Axl doesn't even cares who is in the band or not.

If anyone knows, then what were the stories told by Ron about which band member was rude to him?

I don't think Axl was really that friendly either, given how different (or non-existent) his chemistry with Ron was if you compare it to Axl/DJ for example. He also did nothing of note with Ron's song ideas. So yeah, probably Stinson (and Axl).

28th June 2014 or 2015? I thought his contract was over sometime after june 2014

That I'm not sure of , I've just seen 28th June somewhere on a forum

Ron, Frank, DJ and Richard seem like they get along, but he's talking about when he first got in the band and they were probably busting his balls because they probably thought of him as a studio guy like Tobias. Guess who didn't like Paul Huge as much as Slash? Tommy Stinson.

Yeah but Tommy wouldnt have the balls to say anything about Tobias as he was close to Axl, Ron had no backing, so Ron was the easier one to bully around that time, they were in the studio since 1999 and they recorded so much stuff and this guy comes in 2006 and then re records stuff, so I guess that pissed them off

1998 to 2001 sessions would have been pretty boring and interesting too, all of them in the studio and Axl not showing up, im sure all of them would have big LOLS about Axl and his behavior

I don't think Axl was really that friendly either, given how different (or non-existent) his chemistry with Ron was if you compare it to Axl/DJ for example. He also did nothing of note with Ron's song ideas. So yeah, probably Stinson (and Axl).

I do agree about the non-existent chemistry when compared to Ashba, but if Axl actually had a problem with Ron, then he wouldn't have told Ron to go in the studio to record or re record guitar parts, I guess Axl had it in his mind that he needs someone who could play buckets parts, I feel bad for Fortus, poor guy is in the band since 2002 and the only part he composed in CD is just a small part of just one song, I guess Ron is not a leech like Ashba who wants to be in the good books of Axl, its hard to imagine Dizzy bullying Ron lol, but well who knows, I have a feeling maybe Fink's attitude towards Ron was not good cause maybe he thought that why the hell we need another guitarist man

I remember that Bumblefoot has said in previous interviews that Axl was always nice to him (regarding the bullying when he first joined).

Axl probably doesn't spend as much time with the band members off stage as they do with each other though.

The only time Ron complained about Axl had to do with Sturgis, where people were ready to go home after 3 days of festival... if you're closing the festival, going on late is going to put people in a massive "fuck it" mood. I heard people were bailing on Billy Joel to watch the Game of Thrones finale at Bonnaroo.

I can't see Robin being the bullying type. Probably Stinson. Ron had fun and got money but I'm not sure if he was happy to be in Axl's band.

I guess no one is happy to be in Axl's band, as a musician they want to make and release music and work as a "band", which doesn't happens in Axl's band, all of them are in for the money, when their plate is full and when they get fed up, they decide to leave as soon as their contract gets over.

This is not good publicity for the new guitarist... a bunch of bullies are waiting for him!

Nah, Axl wasn't the bully... he's never around. Prolly Stinson, Finck and the whole Team Brazil.

If a 120 pound drunk old man and a makeup wearing bald lanky goth are bullying you and you can't handle that, then idk what to tell you Ron. Ask Ashba for advice on beating bullys?

• Like 2

It is funny to see this stuff just slip out once people leave the band. And this is why I can't help but shit on the band. Cause its not a band. I get its not the 80s anymore where they are living out of their cars and are family, but its not a band. Its a gig people do for the money and probably because they are fans, but they don't record together, they don't hang together. Its absolutely a job, and personally I feel that comes through on stage. They are great players, but they have no chemistry. This kind of just confirms it. Its why I prefer to follow bands that seem more brotherly and "all for one" kind of a deal. I like to see a band grow and change and have elements of all its members. Even older bands like Whitesnake have done this successfully, by adding Doug Aldrich who greatly pioneered their new sound. Thats the kind of stuff I like in a band, and NuGNR has never had that to me and has been the reason I've never quite come around to them. And hearing it said so plainly is sad but also unfortunately comforting to know you've been right all these years.

• Like 1

seems like the posters easily forget what Ron said in previous interviews about the so called bullying parts....

Finck and Stinson and maybe Dizzy were the only ones whom bust his balls

When DJ came in it's easy to imagine that Ron did not like him as much, because Ashba is such a poser and constantly licking Axl's nuts...

Ron said that Frank and maybe Pittman were his bros and he get along with 4tus too and Axl wa always nice to him in the "early" days

But Ron played on Goin Down? I saw an interview with Tommy, Dj, Dizzy. I'm not sure what that wrestling between Dj n Tommy was on the Vegas DVD. Wonder if there's something they want to tell us?

ron just posted several messages referring to this note On https://www.facebook.com/gnrlatinoamerica

Ron On Gnrla.com "You should really read the actual article, not the quote Blabbermouth used that makes you angry. rock.about.com/od/Interviews/fl/bumblefoot-interview.htm (I was very guarded due to a difficult entry into the band, and don't think I ever let my guard fully down, that's all. That's about me, not them.) You can hate or learn, your choice. :"

"Media can do whatever they want either way, whether you speak or not. Most media doesn't abuse their responsibility fortunately. Sometimes within dozens of interviews, you're speaking openly and honestly where after the fact it looks a lot more scathing than when it was said. Whether or not you speak from the heart, if you're going to do a lot of interviews (between the new album and the AOA album and DMC and charities and events in dozens of countries, it's a lot of press), these things will occasionally happen. :P My intent is not to upset anyone - of all the things talked about in the interview, anything else could have been focused on by the reader, but other sites will put a title that leads the tone of an article into a darker place - it obviously gets people clicking the link. " Ron On gnrla's Facebook