Didn't look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on, but you didn't even know
I wasted it all just to watch you go
I kept everything inside
And even though I tried, it all fell apart
What it meant to me
Will eventually be a memory of a time when

Some bars in this song I absolutely adore.

From first verse:

I let the world know n!gga you a coward
You could never be live
until you die
see the mothafuckin bitch in your eye
From Second Verse:
probably never knew the way it feels to die
so you figure fuck with me
I give that ass a try
N!gga, Holla at me
From Third Verse:
N!ggas is paranoid
trust a no no
love is a mystery
Fuck the po po
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpntYM4wcAo

From first verse:

You could never be live

until you die

From Second Verse:

I give that ass a try

N!gga, Holla at me

From Third Verse:

N!ggas is paranoid

trust a no no

love is a mystery

Fuck the po po

The betrayal verse is heavy, really feels like there's a story behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpntYM4wcAo

From first verse:

You could never be live

until you die

From Second Verse:

I give that ass a try

N!gga, Holla at me

From Third Verse:

N!ggas is paranoid

trust a no no

love is a mystery

Fuck the po po

Uhh ya. 2nd verse of Only God Can Judge Me is pure fucking fire.

http://youtu.be/MY1KXf0hlkQ

Edited by drtydane

2 monster verses from Pac. He starts that shit in the third verse where he gets so into it that his voice goes hoarse a little bit

Classic verses from Snoop and Kurupt

Edited by J Dog

I have a hard time picking who does the best verse, but Lauryn kills it on The Fugees' Ready or Not.

I play my enemies like a game of chess, where I rest,

No stress

If you don't smoke sess, lest.

I must confess, my destiny's manifest

In some Goretex and sweats I make treks like I'm homeless

Rap orgies with Porgy and Bess,

Capture your bounty like Elliot Ness, YES

Bless you if you represent the Fu

But I'll hex you with some witch's brew if you're Doo Doo

Voo Doo,

I can do what you do, easy, BELIEVE ME

Frontin' hooray for tolerance!s give me hee-bee-gee-bees

So while you're imitating Al Capone

I'll be Nina Simone

And defacating on your microphone.

What bothers me is why would Jay put that verse on, we know Jays better than that, he must've known comparisons would've come, why go in light like that, or relatively light knowing what he's capable of?

You know when he heard lines like...who's the king of these rude ludicrous lucrative lyrics...or, I'm a motherfuckin delightful eyeful, the new Ice Cube, motherfuckers hate to like you.

Would have thought he would go back to the booth after hearing shit like that.

I might be way off, I think it comes back to Jay's cockiness. Now I know all rappers are cocky and have to brag, it's part of the game. But when Em, or 50, or Biggie or Rakim talk that shit, it's almost more of a challenge than just bragging. I've always got the feeling from Jay, Kanye is another one, when they talk that shit it's not a challenge, they really think their shit don't stink.

That's why Nas killed Jay in their beef. The Takeover is really weak compared to Ether. I always thought Jay was like, I'm the hottest rapper in the game, king of NY, Nas is old and played out, I don't even have to try hard and I'll win this battle. Then Nas comes and everyone agrees he murdered him and Nas had like a re-birth because of it. I don't think Jay expected that.

Same on Renegade. Jigga is the king of the rap game. There's no way people will agree and say this white boy with bleach blonde hair spit better than him.

What bothers me is why would Jay put that verse on, we know Jays better than that, he must've known comparisons would've come, why go in light like that, or relatively light knowing what he's capable of?

You know when he heard lines like...who's the king of these rude ludicrous lucrative lyrics...or, I'm a motherfuckin delightful eyeful, the new Ice Cube, motherfuckers hate to like you.

Would have thought he would go back to the booth after hearing shit like that.

I might be way off, I think it comes back to Jay's cockiness. Now I know all rappers are cocky and have to brag, it's part of the game. But when Em, or 50, or Biggie or Rakim talk that shit, it's almost more of a challenge than just bragging. I've always got the feeling from Jay, Kanye is another one, when they talk that shit it's not a challenge, they really think their shit don't stink.

That's why Nas killed Jay in their beef. The Takeover is really weak compared to Ether. I always thought Jay was like, I'm the hottest rapper in the game, king of NY, Nas is old and played out, I don't even have to try hard and I'll win this battle. Then Nas comes and everyone agrees he murdered him and Nas had like a re-birth because of it. I don't think Jay expected that.

Same on Renegade. Jigga is the king of the rap game. There's no way people will agree and say this white boy with bleach blonde hair spit better than him.

That is absolutely right, i agree totally, especially with the 'thinks his shit dont stink' bit, when he's in that Can't Knock the Hustle mode. Whether its true or not who knows but it comes across that way, it's kinda part of what makes his shit like...so effective because if you wanna convince people you've got to sound convinced but it was his un-doing against Nas, who just took him to bits as far as i was concerned. Well, OK, dunno about took him to bits, Jay came hard too but Nas was the clear winner there.

Em's the worst person for Jay to be next to when he's weak. When Jay's weak, he's so loose and imprecise. It sounds like he freestyling, poorly. Em is the exact opposite, so it highlights Jay's shortcomings.

I think that's why I've never been able to 100% get behind Jay. I know all rappers get lazy time to time, but for me there's no in between with Jay. Either his flow is top notch #1 mc type shit, or it's just lazy and forgettable.

That is absolutely right, i agree totally, especially with the 'thinks his shit dont stink' bit, when he's in that Can't Knock the Hustle mode. Whether its true or not who knows but it comes across that way, it's kinda part of what makes his shit like...so effective because if you wanna convince people you've got to sound convinced but it was his un-doing against Nas, who just took him to bits as far as i was concerned. Well, OK, dunno about took him to bits, Jay came hard too but Nas was the clear winner there.

Yeah I see what you mean about that's kind of what makes him so effective. I just don't really like the attitude. I feel like, as great of an mc as he is, if there were some way to have like a greatest mc's of all time royal rumble, I think his ass would get thrown over the top rope early. Everyone else would be out for blood, where he would be like, shit I'm Jigga.

I give Em credit for being a smart motherfucker too. When he did Renegade and the features on Chronic 2001, it wasn't long after he first came out. I think he used both of those to show all the real die hard hip-hop heads, this cat is the real motherfuckin deal. Nobody could deny he straight up owned Renegade. And his verses on 2001 were some of the best features.

I see what you mean but I always found that relaxed flow, coupled with the strength of wordplay gave the whole thing a kinda relaxed 'this is easy for me' type feel. But i get what you mean, you are right, it makes it kinda feel a little like...soft sometimes? And the litmus test for that is battle and as we discussed he didnt fare too well with the most important battle of his career.

And yknow, Rakim had a relaxed flow too...but he always seemed kinda serious too, focused, with intent and Jay lacks that aspect.

I see what you mean but I always found that relaxed flow, coupled with the strength of wordplay gave the whole thing a kinda relaxed 'this is easy for me' type feel. But i get what you mean, you are right, it makes it kinda feel a little like...soft sometimes? And the litmus test for that is battle and as we discussed he didnt fare too well with the most important battle of his career.

And yknow, Rakim had a relaxed flow too...but he always seemed kinda serious too, focused, with intent and Jay lacks that aspect.

I hate to say soft but yeah, something like that. I don't even mind the relaxed flow, like you said Rakim had one, Snoop had one, Biggie had one a lot of times. There's just something there with Jay Z I can't put my finger on. Actually it's probably everything you said kind of rolled into one for me.

Let me ask you this, and Mags too, or anybody for that matter...if Pac and Biggie lived, would Jay have blown up the way he did?

I always felt like, he hit it at the perfect time. When those boys died, it really affected hip hop. The west coast fell off hard, to the point of almost being shunned by hip hop. The east did too, Nas started his downfall (whether that was due to Pac's disses or not, he fell off) Mobb Deep kind of just disappeared, almost shunned as well. Wu-Tang started going there separate ways, it's like when Jay hit, there just wasn't many heavy hitters at the time, and NY rap really really needed it's new Biggie.

I thought method man had biggie on the what? as well...

I thought method man had biggie on the what? as well...

Really? Don't get me wrong, Meth kills it, but so does Big.

The black Frank White is here to excite, throw dick to dykes

Welcome to my center, honies feel it deep in they placenta

Ready to die, why I act that way, Pop Duke left Mom Duke, the hooray for tolerance! took the back way, so instead of lettin' hoes suck my dick up, I used to do stick-ups, cause hoes is irritatin' like the hiccups

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1

I cant get in on that argument, it is an exceptionally good Meth' verse and BIG is just routinely amazing, I'd say BIG done Em' on Dead Wrong...and he werent even alive to know it was gonna be held up against another great MC, such is the power of The crack king Frank Whizzer.