Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls 2016/2017 World Tour discussion [LIVE ALBUM NOV. 17]

Zeppelin

The Book Of Souls  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:19 AM, Nicklord said:

I think they did stadiums and arenas on Maiden England tour. Still 99% sure it's fake :D

There's always a mix of arenas and stadiums on European tours. Their stage show doesn't change at all regardless of venue size, so it makes no difference. Regardless, those dates are surely fake. 

So catching up on the last seven gigs. Everything was a nightmare from Kansas City onwards logistically, hence why I just didn't have time to get on here and give my thoughts as the gigs went on.

For starters, there were three more event shirts in the last seven gigs, one of them being a surprise.

This was the Canada shirt for this year:
KHkt3FU.jpg

This was Boston. For the record, this is the first time Boston has ever had an event shirt. Boston is also the shirt to have a totally unique backprint (i.e. not a stock backprint or variation on a stock backprint) since Florida 2009:
20108640_10154588691292051_7614304900025

And the Boston backprint:
QF6GapR.jpg

And Brooklyn was the same as the poster released for the second gig, but the colors were a bit off on the actual shirt - looked a lot better on the poster:
20214009_1580382748653092_20396081441323

So onto the gigs. Both the gigs in Missouri were very good, but very hot. Kansas City was indoors, but I was still absolutely soaked by the end of Ghost. Kansas City was probably the better gig musically, while St. Louis was a lot more fun. St. Louis was in an amphitheater, and it was even hotter than Kansas City - it was 105 F when we went into the gig, and it was still 98 F after the gig! Probably the hottest gig I've ever been to to be honest. It was so hot that Bruce and Adrian actually started taking off their stage clothes mid-set - something I've never seen them do. Also, they had a couple people doing sign language at this gig, and the signers got really into it, so that was fun to watch, particularly during Ghost when Papa did his little bit about female orgasms before Monstrance Clock :lol:

On the way home from St. Louis I stopped in Indy to see Ghost do a headline show, my first time seeing them on their own. They're so much better as a headliner - really can't wait to see them on their own again.

Toronto was not one of my favorite gig. There was the Indy Car race in Toronto the same day as the gig, so the whole city was a nightmare. Usually takes me two and a half hours to get to Toronto, took over six that day. It was hot, doors opened early, venue security were dicks as the always are at the Molson, and the crowd was really rowdy. Tons of fights in the pit, tons of drunk assholes. One guy literally pissed on a woman before Maiden came on, he got dragged out by security, and his friend followed them out, he punched me in the back of the head for no reason :lol: 

Quebec City was amazing. I've always heard great things about the crowds in Quebec City, and it absolutely lived up to my expectations. It was right up there with Mexico and Milan as one of the best crowds I've ever seen. Plus Bruce did all his talking in French, which is always nice to see. 

Boston was one of the most fun gigs I've ever been to. I love that venue because the pit is tiny and the stage is very low. But on top of that, the crowd was incredible and it was probably the most packed I've ever seen an amphitheater. The band was really having a lot of fun too. 

Brooklyn was, needless to say, amazing. The end of a tour is always really fantastic. I was second row both nights - couldn't be fussed with queueing all day because there was a Fan Club trip for those gigs, so like 400 people had First To The Barrier since FC trip people get it and they still draw 60 names plus a guest. Showed up at 5:30 and got second row in front of Dave both nights, fine with me! Night 1 was great, it was actually the first time the band had ever played in Brooklyn (Other than a secret warmup gig they did at L'Amours in 1988 as Charlotte & The Harlots), so it was a bit special. The crowd was great, and the band seemed to really love playing a different venue in NY for a change - Bruce even went as far as to say he couldn't care less if they only played Barclays from now on and never went back to MSG. As great as night 1 was, night 2 was something else entirely - just absolutely fucking off the walls. Night 2 was hands down in my top 5 Maiden gigs ever, maybe my favorite. The band was even better than the night before - they're always really great on a closing night because they don't have to reserve anything in the tank anymore, they really let loose. And then the fun started. During The Book Of Souls, Bruce threw out his hoodie during the first half of the song, and then when he threw the heart, he wrapped it in his raincoat he's been wearing every night and threw them both into the crowd. There was lots of goofing around in general - when Bruce did his schtick with the bananas during Death Or Glory he opened one up before giving it to Dave, and it fell apart on Dave - he just laughed it off and ate the other half instead of throwing it into the crowd. At the end of Wasted Years they've been having a bit of fun every night, usually Bruce playing pranks on Adrian. But here he came out in his boxers, and kept throwing more of his clothes into the crowd. First he threw his pants. Then his boots, then his socks, then finally his shirt. After he went off he even threw his boxers from behind the stage, but they got caught on Nicko's drumkit :lol: Adrian threw out some of his clothes too - his bandana, his scarf, and his shirt. The band were just in a really great mood - I've never seen them so appreciative, of both the crowd and each other at the end of a tour. Lots of hugs, a few tears, but it felt very sincere and heartfelt.

For me personally, it was a sort of sense of completion to go full circle from the opening night to the closing night. It wasn't the first time doing an opening or a closing night (The Final Frontier was my first time seeing a closing night, Maiden England was my first time doing an opening night, and I did the closing night for that tour as well), but none of those bookend gigs felt as significant as these. The opening night was really special - it was Bruce's first gig cancer-free and no one really knew what would happen. To see the show start with him standing alone onstage, singing an intro that on any other tour would be a tape, I still get goosebumps thinking about the first time I saw that. And after that gig, this tour has been such a big part of my life, even by Maiden standards. Over the course of the tour I saw 46 gigs in 14 countries and 14 US states. I went so many places I never imagined I would see in my life. I saw so many old friends, and met so many new ones. I met my now girlfriend at one of the gigs. In short, it's been the best year and a half of my life. I'll always cherish the memories of this tour, but now I'm ready for what comes next.

Bring on 2018! :D 

• Like 4

@Powerage5 Did you come to Belgrade when they did only one European gig that year in 2009? When they brough Phantom of the Opera and Sanctuary back in the set after several years and mixed it up quite well. I remember that there were quite a lot of people from all around the world and it was really amazing as nobody knew what is the next song

3 hours ago, Nicklord said:

@Powerage5 Did you come to Belgrade when they did only one European gig that year in 2009? When they brough Phantom of the Opera and Sanctuary back in the set after several years and mixed it up quite well. I remember that there were quite a lot of people from all around the world and it was really amazing as nobody knew what is the next song

No, I didn't do my first gig in Europe until 2010. Still haven't been to Belgrade at all actually, other than a layover headed from Split to Bucharest last year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Warner Music will release IRON MAIDEN’s ‘The Book Of Souls: Live Chapter’ on November 17th worldwide [through BMG in the USA]. This live recording comprises 15 songs captured during ‘The Book Of Souls World Tour’, which covered 39 countries across six continents during 2016 and 2017, and was seen by over two million fans. ‘The Book Of Souls: Live Chapter’ will be released physically in CD, deluxe CD & vinyl audio formats, with the concert film available to stream free online or as a digital download – full details below.

Produced by Tony Newton and Iron Maiden founder member and bass player Steve Harris, the album is based on this year’s set list and is a faithful record of the epic show, including six songs from ‘The Book Of Souls’, the band's most recent studio album, along with many other classics and fan favourites.

Steve comments, "We spent a huge amount of time working on this as I wanted to get it as close to the Maiden live experience as I possibly could and to represent our fans from different parts of the world. This meant listening to literally hours upon hours of tapes from every show, to select material and construct a sound that would run consistently across the whole album and capture the excitement of a new country like El Salvador alongside such regular favourites as Donington or Wacken.”

Maiden manager Rod Smallwood adds, "’The Book Of Souls World Tour’ was a huge undertaking, not least for Bruce who started the tour singing in public for the very first time since recovering from throat cancer. He also piloted Ed Force One, upgraded last year from a Boeing 757 to a 747 so we could go further and faster to visit some fantastic cities and fans all round the world. This year continued that excitement bringing us our most successful North American and UK tours ever. It was a very special tour in a great many ways so we felt we wanted to document it for both ourselves and for our fans. Steve has done an incredible job putting together this set from cities around the world and we’ve made sure the deluxe CD will be available in a matching book format to ‘The Book of Souls’ release.

"On top of all that the release will be celebrated by an event that is a Maiden first: a free live streaming premiere of the concert film, as a thank you to our loyal fans around the world. We hope that the global Maiden community will all enjoy coming together to watch this special event online. Many of you will be in it as there is footage from a whole host of the places we played on this momentous tour. ”

More details on how to take part in this one-off event will be published on IronMaiden.com shortly.

The full tracklisting and the cities they were recorded in, is as follows:

If Eternity Should Fail – Sydney, Australia
Speed of Light - Cape Town, South Africa
Wrathchild – Dublin, Ireland
Children of the Damned – Montreal, Canada
Death or Glory – Wroclaw, Poland
The Red and the Black – Tokyo, Japan
The Trooper - San Salvador, El Salvador
Powerslave – Trieste, Italy
The Great Unknown – Newcastle, UK
The Book of Souls – Donington, UK
Fear of the Dark – Fortaleza, Brazil
Iron Maiden - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Number of the Beast – Wacken, Germany
Blood Brothers – Donington, UK
Wasted Years - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The album will replicate ‘The Book Of Souls’ original formats and be issued as a limited edition deluxe 2 CD hardcase Book, a regular 2CD album, a triple black vinyl LP and digital download in high resolution audio (48khz/24 bit) including Mastered for iTunes (MFiT) version. A digital download of the concert film will also be available to purchase following its free online premiere.

livechapter_vinyl.jpg

livechapter_cds.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

stream-for-me-poster-2.jpg

The Book Of Souls: Live Chapter will premiere on YouTube on 11th November - as a thank you to all our loyal fans around the world we're streaming the entire concert film for free. Grab some beers, hook up your best speakers and enjoy The Book Of Souls tour from the comfort of your own sofa.

Event details:

When - 7pm GMT on Saturday 11th November  Where - www.youtube.com/ironmaiden

What? Where?
If Eternity Should Fail – Sydney, Australia
Speed of Light - Cape Town, South Africa
Wrathchild – Dublin, Ireland
Children of the Damned – Montreal, Canada
Death or Glory – Wroclaw, Poland
The Red and the Black – Tokyo, Japan
The Trooper - San Salvador, El Salvador
Powerslave – Trieste, Italy
The Great Unknown – Newcastle, UK
The Book of Souls – Donington, UK
Fear of the Dark – Fortaleza, Brazil
Iron Maiden - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Number of the Beast – Wacken, Germany
Blood Brothers – Donington, UK
Wasted Years - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I'm fairly happy with the live release. The sound was great, other than a couple obvious pitched-in crowd noise bits (The outro on Children Of The Damned and the chants in The Red And The Black spring to mind). The quality of the footage is fine, but it's quite obvious quite often that the footage is just compiled from whatever they had spanning the entire tour, a bit of shoddy editing every now and then. Even so, I'm still disappointed this isn't getting a Blu Ray release. 

Still, I was at five of the gigs featured on the live album (Montreal, Tokyo, Trieste, Newcastle, and Wacken) so it's nice to be able to relive a few of the gigs I was at :) 

7 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Yep that crowd sounds were strange... whats with 13.11.17. teaser in the end? Live album release is on the 17th, is it not?

Most likely a tour announcement - it's in the Legacy Of The Beast font, which has been rumored to be the theme for the next tour.