Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls 2016/2017 World Tour discussion [LIVE ALBUM NOV. 17]

Zeppelin

The Book Of Souls  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm listening to it now. They don't do 'concise', Maiden these days, do they? They do not really do songs like Two Minutes To Minute any longer.

PS

Death and Glory seems a stand out track. I'm quite enjoying this one.

Edited by DieselDaisy

They don't - they're very much a prog metal band nowadays. And I'm okay with that personally.

9.5/10

best tracks:

- empire of the clouds(piano is awesome throughout)

- when the river runs deep

- the great unknown

- the man of sorrows

- the book of souls

weakest tracks:

- speed of light

- tears of a clown

both of the "weakest" tracks are still good songs.

Interesting you rank Tears Of A Clown so low - almost everyone else seems to be ranking it in their top 3.

They don't - they're very much a prog metal band nowadays. And I'm okay with that personally.

9.5/10

best tracks:

- empire of the clouds(piano is awesome throughout)

- when the river runs deep

- the great unknown

- the man of sorrows

- the book of souls

weakest tracks:

- speed of light

- tears of a clown

both of the "weakest" tracks are still good songs.

Interesting you rank Tears Of A Clown so low - almost everyone else seems to be ranking it in their top 3.

this album is a lot less proggy sounding, it sounds to me what maiden would have sounded in the late 80s without the synths. tears of a clown is a good song but compared to the other 7 its "weak" if that makes any sense lol

If Eternity Should Fail needs to be the show opener.

Pretty good chance of that - the only album tours that didn't have the opening song from the album as the concert opener were The X Factor in 1995/96 (Sign Of The Cross opened the album, Man On The Edge opened the show), and Number Of The Beast in 1982 (Invaders opened the album, Murders In The Rue Morgue opened the show).

I don't get all the hate for TFF. Honestly, it's my favorite album from the reunion era. It's very very grandiose, but seeing as the epics are always my favorite Maiden songs it's right up my alley. But there's still a lot of variety; Satellite 15 is the most adventurous thing they've ever released (Unless something on TBOS has topped that), El Dorado and especially Coming Home were great singles, Mother Of Mercy is possibly the heaviest song they've ever recorded, and Starblind and Isle Of Avalon are their proggiest moments. When The Wild Wind Blows is my second favorite Maiden song (My favorite is Phantom Of The Opera), and The Talisman ranks in my top 10.

• Like 1

i like TFF its a good album.

to me post reunion albums would go roughly

brave new world 10/10

the book of souls 9.5/10

a matter of life and death 8.5/10

the final frontier 7.5/10

dance of death 7.0/10

Edited by bran

They're all so good, there's really no songs I absolutely hate from 2000 on. If I had to rank them best to worst:

The Final Frontier

Brave New World

A Matter Of Life And Death (Just behind BNW, these two are so close)

Dance Of Death

I completely understand your love for TFF. It's amazing. I feel like we might have a similar taste when it comes to Maiden, I might change DoD with AMOLAD but by a little. Just listened to BoS for the first time and I immediately recognize there's a lot to swallow, this first listen is just a hint of what the album truly is, like TFF. When I first listened to WTWWB for example, I thought it was meh. Now I think it might be the best song Maiden released post-reunion. But here's my ranking of the songs:

If Eternity Should Fail - 6.5/10

Speed Of Light - 8/10

The Great Unknown - 7/10

The Red And The Black - 9/10

When The River Runs Deep - 8.5/10

The Book of Souls - 9/10

Death or Glory - 5/10

Shadows of the Valley - 6.5/10

Tears of a Clown - 8/10

The Man of Sorrows - 8/10

Empire of the Clouds - 9/10

If I would rank it after this first listen, it'd be:

The Final Frontier

Brave New World

The Book of Souls

Dance of Death

A Matter of Life and Death

But yes, I will most probably change my opinion after a couple of listens.