November Rain or This I Love

Słash

I like the instrumental versions there are around of TIL. Then you realize the song is really really good.

I once heard Axl say a solo album from him would be mostly instrumental so maybe that's how TIL was created or firstly thought of.

Look, if Axl wants to be the new Kenny G or Richard Claydeman he has to be honest about it and doing it. He has to give up GN´R (old and new) and do anything he wants. He has to make up his mind the sooner, the better. Nobody else can do it for him

I always was amazed with the sound of This I Love, there is nothing like it on Chinese. A modern ballad, contemporary sound, and imo one of the best guitar solo ever.

Like NR, there's a dark tone that I like, but yeah, this one is for the ladies in the house.

Look, if Axl wants to be the new Kenny G or Richard Claydeman he has to be honest about it and doing it. He has to give up GN´R (old and new) and do anything he wants. He has to make up his mind the sooner, the better. Nobody else can do it for him

Just because he put ONE song in the album with that kind of style it doesn't mean he has to announce himself as whatever. After all it's his band now. Art and artists are free, this is not a Middle East regime.

Just because he put ONE song in the album with that kind of style it doesn't mean he has to announce himself as whatever. After all it's his band now. Art and artists are free, this is not a Middle East regime.

This is about Axl doing something in a particular way when in reality he wanted to do something else. Or just him not being 100% sure of what he was doing with one song or, even worst, an entire album. It was a situation of to be or not to be. And Axl never came up with the right answer.

If Axl wants to make an album all instrumental he has the right to do it. But of course that can´t be GN´R. It has to be just Axl with the colaboration of other people like Beltrami or whoever.

This is about Axl doing something in a particular way when in reality he wanted to do something else. Or just him not being 100% sure of what he was doing with one song or, even worst, an entire album. It was a situation of to be or not to be. And Axl never came up with the right answer.

If Axl wants to make an album all instrumental he has the right to do it. But of course that can´t be GN´R. It has to be just Axl with the colaboration of other people like Beltrami or whoever.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about anymore... So confusing. Looks like you are the one who don't know what he wants and not Axl.

He said that if he was ever going to make a SOLO album, it'd probably mostly instrumental. He never talked about GNR. He said solo album, so it doesn't look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about anymore... So confusing. Looks like you are the one who don't know what he wants and not Axl.

He said that if he was ever going to make a SOLO album, it'd probably mostly instrumental. He never talked about GNR. He said solo album, so it doesn't look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

He has said he didn´t want TIL to come out the way it did. He has said the TIL version we have in CD was what Caram and Finck wanted. He seems to like the idea of a solo album and that album would be instrumental, nothing wrong with that. What is he wating for?

Now if the TIL version is what other people wanted. What did Axl want?

We all know that what different producers came different ideas about what CD should be. What was Axl´s original idea? What kind of shape and form Axl had in mind for CD?

He has said he didn´t want TIL to come out the way it did. He has said the TIL version we have in CD was what Caram and Finck wanted. He seems to

That's not what he said. He said he didn't want it or plan on it to come out until Robin convinced him to include it on Chinese.

He never said he didn't want TIL to come out the way it did. Since then he has performed it live many times.

Also, he said that the music on Chinese turned out exactly how he wanted it to sound. That includes This I Love.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Even if the lyrics sound naive, childish or cheesy, TIL is a masterpiece ... great vocal performance ... great instrumental.

NR is another masterpiece, but everybody already knows that ...

Edited by GUNNER PT

From the chat

"I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support."

:axl92::axl:

So? everything I've said still stands.

It doesn´t! You meant to said I was wrong when I wasn´t. We have TIL in the album because other people thought it was a good idea not Axl. Axl just followed other´s advice.

Axl has said back in 1992 he wrote and recorded TIL in an interview with Hit Parader. Then he didn´t want it. Was the version on CD the original he recorded back 1992? Most likely not because neither Caram nor Finck were in the picture.

I know he has played that song in every show. And he has also played AFD songs when he said he wanted to bury AFD. Go figure! :shrugs:

• Like 1

He says "support" which could be translated as "encouragement". Maybe he didn't feel good enough about that song for whatever reasons (i.e. fear of Seymour listening to it? exposing that relationship again after 20 years? who knows) and he got support from this people, just like when someone cheers you up when you feel insecure.

I don't think he said that in a way that he was forced to do it. Axl doesn't work that way and if he didnt want the song at all, it wouldn't be there, be sure of that.

Axl just needed a little push to see the song was cool enough to make it to the album.

• Like 1

From the chat

"I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support."

:axl92::axl:

So? everything I've said still stands.

It doesn´t! You meant to said I was wrong when I wasn´t. We have TIL in the album because other people thought it was a good idea not Axl. Axl just followed other´s advice.

Axl has said back in 1992 he wrote and recorded TIL in an interview with Hit Parader. Then he didn´t want it. Was the version on CD the original he recorded back 1992? Most likely not because neither Caram nor Finck were in the picture.

I know he has played that song in every show. And he has also played AFD songs when he said he wanted to bury AFD. Go figure! :shrugs:

:facepalm:

He says "support" which could be translated as "encouragement". Maybe he didn't feel good enough about that song for whatever reasons (i.e. fear of Seymour listening to it? exposing that relationship again after 20 years? who knows) and he got support from this people, just like when someone cheers you up when you feel insecure.

I don't think he said that in a way that he was forced to do it. Axl doesn't work that way and if he didnt want the song at all, it wouldn't be there, be sure of that.

Axl just needed a little push to see the song was cool enough to make it to the album.

Great post tiny.

Even if the lyrics sound naive, childish or cheesy, TIL is a masterpiece ... great vocal performance ... great instrumental.

NR is another masterpiece, but everybody already knows that ...

The lyrics do sound naive, childish and extremely cheesy. Vocal performance is abysmal compared to previous albums or even other songs on CD (like Better), instrumental is the same pattern for 5 minutes, but I guess using a synth orchestra makes things instantly EPIC! Guitar solo is good, Robin is an amazing guitar player. DJ's solo is laughable. All in all, a mediocre song with a good guitar solo, not enough for me as a GNR/Axl fan.

NR is indeed a masterpiece. Lyrics are ok, vocal performance is amazing, production is excelent. Also Slash takes the song to another level with his 3 solos. I miss that band.

The piano parts for This I Love are good. I really like the instrumental, however, the arrangements, lyrics and vocals are absolutely awful. Probably the worst I have heard from Axl. It is what makes the song nothing but mediocre.

November Rain is a complete different beast, great lyrics, incredible vocal performance from Axl (at the end specially), great piano parts and legendary solos from the real guitarist of Guns, Slash.

Seriously Axl had a fear of Steph listening to it? The song was written for Erin and most of the songs on CD are for Steph, so Axl was not scared of anyone

Seriously Axl had a fear of Steph listening to it? The song was written for Erin and most of the songs on CD are for Steph, so Axl was not scared of anyone

I dont know that's why I put a question mark at the end. I'm merely speculating on what could have been his fears or insecurities. Unlike you, I don't pass my opinions as facts.

When did he say most songs on CD are for Stephanie? Quote him please. I think he said 'This I Love' was particularly about Seymour, not Erin.