RIP Chris Squire of Yes

classicrawker

I hear you Zep but sadly Chris's passing might actually result in Jon and Rick doing some shows with the band at some point as I have read Jon and Chris did not get along. With Chris gone the door might be open for a reunion now.

Edited by classicrawker

• 3 months later...

Never liked this band. In fact i despised this band and dedicated my every mention of them to insult. Sad when anyone dies though, on the scale of importance music criticism is pithy really, little more than banter a lot of the time, sad the guys passed away, bless him.

I really don't understand the punk vs. prog rock thing. All I know is that I love the music.

Pointless antagonism taken up by mobs of arrogant teenagers and repeated to the point of prejudice based on offhand comments by people John Lydon regarding the bands and/or types of music that he/they didnt like much. Its important to remember that these types of music were made for young people and theres nothing that young working class people like than a good fight or someone to have a go at or take the piss out of. You make these things into 'a musical movement' instead of just bands playing music by creating generations gaps, which is conversely done by asserting your identity and setting yourself apart from whatever the standard is...and the standard of the day was prog rock. Its kinda like football, you hate people for supporting the other team even though they live just down the road from you and have nothing against you, in fact they have something in common, they like football too, its a tribal thing.

I love it personally :lol: Lets face it, the punks worth a shite all started making their own haphazard form of progressive music so its all bollocks really.

Edited by Len B'stard

This reminds me of a funny story when they were recording an album in the same building as Black Sabbath. The members of Sabbath would visit the Yes sessions and are put off by the synthetic farm environment, apparently to inspire Jon Anderson. Supposedly Jon wanted to take the recording to some forest and finally someone had enough and said "Jon, get a life!"

• Like 1

This reminds me of a funny story when they were recording an album in the same building as Black Sabbath. The members of Sabbath would visit the Yes sessions and are put off by the synthetic farm environment, apparently to inspire Jon Anderson. Supposedly Jon wanted to take the recording to some forest and finally someone had enough and said "Jon, get a life!"

Which led to Rick Wakeman (who like the Sabbath guys loved a pint or sixteen) playing keys on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath...he's done a few things with Ozzy over the years too.

Pretty sure they toured together at some point and Rick spent most of his time with the guys from Black Sabbath instead.

edit: Rick's son Adam plays keys (and the odd bit of guitar) for Sabbath and Ozzy solo too these days I think

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1

Wakeman brought a new edge to the band. Something that had to bring balance to the skills of Steve Howe and Chris Squire. I liked Tony Kaye's less is more approach with the first albums, especially on The Yes Album.

Another great keyboardist from Yes was Patrick Moraz who only showed up on one album, but what an impression he made. He was more jazz oriented than Wakman's classical training.

Funny story about Wakman in Sabbath. He didn't want payment for his contribution, just beer.

Wakeman phoned up the boss of A&M Records when The Pistols signed and voiced disapproval of being on the same label, i mean how big of a cunt do you have to be to do that, apparently he was too big and too good to be on the same level as those grubby little working class oiks, and people call punks hatred of the old guard irrational.

Karmas a fuckin' slag though, no one gives a fuck for Dick Wakeman now and The Pistols are rated one of the most important band in history, so have that Wakeman, you fuckin' prick.

He literally tried to stop them from being able to earn a living, I guess he felt threatened or something, 50 million years spent learning to be a muso and along comes Steve Jones how aint been playing but 18 months and hes fuckin' better than you, haha :P

He was a mate of Whispering Nob Harris who got glassed by Sidney :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

He denied that didn't he? Apparently he sent the telegram as a joke and the press caught wind of it and blew it out of proportion. That's the English press for you. They take one quote and they make up the context. The press were the greatest enemies of punk, prog and just good old rock and roll.

Chris Squire was probably the most normal guy in the group. I guess Alan White is normal too. He started out as a replacement for Bruford, which is pretty demanding because he is an amazingly skilled drummer but he pulled it off. Anyway, going by the interviews, Chris was just a normal guy. Steve Howe is the hermit, Jon is trying to communicate with the fourth dimension and he is not even in the band anymore.

Lineup changes are actually the one thing that help the band instead of hurting. There was no way they can top Close to the Edge so Bruford leaves for King Crimson and Alan White doesn't step on anyone's toes for Tales from Topgraphic Oceans. Moraz blows Wakeman out of the water in Relayer. Wakeman is back for the subpar Going for the One (though Awaken is fucking intense) and Tormato is a very underrated album. Drama was when Anderson and Wakeman left and you got the Buggles meets Yes. I haven't listened to the other albums but 70's Yes fans can love them or hate them. Owner of A Lonely Heart was their biggest hit without Steve Howe or Rick Wakeman. Song is growing on me, I just prefer songs like Roundabout, Starship Trooper and Close to the Edge.

The band wasn't going to survive the 80's without the changes.