Camera advice needed

username

Right. Now. On my most recent vacation with the Mrs. our camera died. Nothing fancy, just a Canon Powershot SX220 HS. It got caught by a particularly malicious wave in Zadar, Croatia. The camera was ultimately recovered but it was too late. Luckily the memory card was still good.

I liked my camera. It'd been with me for quite a while and it shot amazing pictures all over the world. In the sun, but also during many concerts and festivals.

I've decided to look at this sad loss as an opportunity to get something even better. Basically, I want this:

1. A great quality mirror reflex camera that can really take photography a step up from compact cameras. Something along the lines of a Nikon D3200 or D5200. Just to give you a rough idea, doesn't have to be a Nikon. I want to take it with me on vacation etc but also explore photography as a hobby. I'm trying not to spend more than 500 euro's on it.

2. The above might be a problem to take into concerts and even if you do it might get damaged, so I also want a good compact camera. This will primarily be used for concerts, festivals and occasionally on rough trips. (i.e. a mountain hike or a trip in a small quick boat) But mostly concerts. So I need something that is good with little light, strong contrasts between light and dark and some good zoom compatibility. Being able to take a few bumps is a pro, but I'm generally careful. Looking to spend roughly 250 euro's here. Definitely nothing over 300.

Sadly, I know rather little about camera's. Anybody here have some advice on what might be suitable for my needs here?

tl;dr:

1. What's a good mirror reflex camera to start with?

2. What's a good compact camera for concert photographs?

For my SLR I have a Canon Rebel T3i - I've been pretty happy with it. It's a good intermediate SLR, you can do better but you can spend significantly more to do better.

My current concert point and shoot is a Canon S95, but I'll be upgrading to the Sony RX100 Mk 3 soon. I've been extremely happy with my S95, but I can't deny that Sony is making far better compacts than Canon nowadays.