What are the ten "definitive" NuGN'R gigs?

We've had a lot of topics popping up recently showcasing the band at its best from '01 - present.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the gigs I'd say are the new band at their best, in no particular order:

- Osaka '09

- Hammerstein '06

- Rio '01

- Bucharest '10

- Chile '10

- Rock Am Ring '06

- Download '06

- Boston 2002

- Philadelphia 2012

- Rose Bar 2010

edit: Dublin '06 makes 11.

does that sound about right? am i missing any?

feel free to post the best clips you know of, etc.

I think Vegas 06/06/2014 was really special, amazing night. Maybe Leeds or VMA in 2002, the first House Of Blues gig before Rio. LA 2011 was cool.

Porto Alegre 2010, Kansas City 2013 and Recife 2014 are definitely worth checking out, Axl was so into it.

I was at Dublin '06 and it was fantastic, but if you're wanting to include a show from that era, can I nominate the Glasgow show from 2 months afterwards purely for the crowd? I think it's the only time since the old days that I've heard Axl ask a crowd to step backwards because people were getting crushed in the melee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NPZjekmnM

I've seen Guns 6 times, and I'd still say that was the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at any gig ever.

• Like 1

Not the BEST, but the definitive:

1- RIR 2001: The world debut

2- Tokyo 2009: The definitive CD release concert

3- Rock am Ring 2006: The most perfect NuGnR concert

4- RIR 2011: The beginning of the End

5- London 2010: A glimpse of hope

6- Hammerstein 2006: Best TWAT performance ever and a good example of the best nuGnR tour.

7- House Of Blues '12: A glimpse of hope pt.2

8- Live at The Rose Bar: Good acoustic show, Axl was good.

9- Bridge School Benefit: The "fuck this shit" moment for many fans.

10-House of Blues 2001: The pre-debut

• Like 3

I agree with Hammerstein, Rio, Rock Am Ring, Bucharest, Boston and Tokyo, but I'd swap the others for

Columbus 2002

Universal City 2006

London 2010

Dublin 2010

L'arc 2010 (That CITR and PC alone makes it better than Rose Bar IMO, although that's a great show too. Shame the l'arc quality isn't better)

Honorable mention:

Vegas 6.6.14

I definitely meant to include universal 06. One of my favourites. Can't believe I forgot it.

And i think i mistook Dublin 10 for Dublin 06. I need to watch some performances from it but I'm pretty sure I accidentally swapped them.

Not the BEST, but the definitive:

1- RIR 2001: The world debut

2- Tokyo 2009: The definitive CD release concert

3- Rock am Ring 2006: The most perfect NuGnR concert

4- RIR 2011: The beginning of the End

5- London 2010: A glimpse of hope

6- Hammerstein 2006: Best TWAT performance ever and a good example of the best nuGnR tour.

7- House Of Blues '12: A glimpse of hope pt.2

8- Live at The Rose Bar: Good acoustic show, Axl was good.

9- Bridge School Benefit: The "fuck this shit" moment for many fans.

10-House of Blues 2001: The pre-debut

I think this list is pretty definitive. And I know you make it clear in the beginning, but I would take out the bad ones and replace them with other good ones. Take out RIR 2011 and Bridge School and put in Boston 2002 and Universal 2006 and I think you have a pretty good list there. I think those 10 sum up the best of those years. I would then add an addendum which includes Bridge School, RIR 2011, VMAs which represent the worst of his NuGNR appearances. I think between those 10 and 3 asides you get a pretty good scope of what the last 15 years has been like. Maybe of that 10, 1 of them should be truly horrible (to even it out), but the bottom line is anyway the list is sliced its gonna represent the best of this band so I think its better to make that unanimous with the 3 others left as "goodies".

Then again, the Sailing show from 2006 in London is pretty widely regarded here. A strong case could be made that deserves to be on this list, although maybe thats an example of the song being better than the whole of the show.

Very difficult question.

I'd have to say

HOB 2001 (the first one, I'D LOVE to have bootlegs from the other shows because they must have been something magical , too bad there isn't anything at all)

RIR 2001 (the fact that we have a proshot is very influential, but that crowd is insane, seriously insane...)

Albany 2002 (Pukkelpop is great too, Boston has an amazing soundboard recording, but the Albany show is from another planet)

Rock Am Ring 2006 (Best nugnr pro-shot imo)

Universal City 2006-12-20 (a perfect 2006 show. Axl is a beast and so is the band)

Chiba, Japan 2007 (not too many arguments, just Don't Cry coming back to the set... that must have been one incredible moment to live)

Taipei 09 (bringing the bandana back was enough to make it to the list imo, plus so many CD songs played for the first time ever...)

Tokyo 09 (doesn't need any kind of introduction... the definitive nugnr gig for sure even though Axl wasn't even near his finest form)

Bucharest 2010 (one of the best Axl vocal performances ever along with the Dublin fucked up show where he stood up the whole gig :lol: . If Axl could sing like that every night, he would be the world's best performer)

Philadelphia 2012 (so much energy on the show... :headbang: ; and a magical moment for sure after the 2002 incident)

Rock in Rio 2001

Boston or Albany 2002

Rock Am Ring 2006

Universal Amphitheater 2006 (the one w/ Izzy + TAY)

Osaka or Tokyo 2009

The Rose Bar 2010

Bucharest 2010

London 2010

Philly 2012

One of the last Vegas gigs 2014 was particularly good, can't remember which

I agree with Hammerstein, Rio, Rock Am Ring, Bucharest, Boston and Tokyo, but I'd swap the others for

(That CITR and PC alone makes it better than Rose Bar IMO, although that's a great show too. Shame the l'arc quality isn't better)

Honorable mention:

I definitely meant to include universal 06. One of my favourites. Can't believe I forgot it.

And i think i mistook Dublin 10 for Dublin 06. I need to watch some performances from it but I'm pretty sure I accidentally swapped them.

I've got a audience shot blu-ray of that Universal '06 show somewhere and it's fucking awesome. Robin's solo is one of my favorite things I've ever seen him do.

My list, in chronological order:

1. House Of Blues 2001

2. Rock In Rio 2001

3. Boston 2002

4. Hammerstein 2006, night 1

5. Universal City 2006

6. Taipei 2009

7. Tokyo 2009

8. London 2010, night 2

9. The Ritz 2012

10. Las Vegas 2014, June 6

For all the wrong reasons, Philly 2002 might be a definitive show. :lol: