GN'R fan mountain hike august/september 2015

SoulMonster

Dear all,

Would anyone be interested in coming over to Norway in August or September for a weekend mountain hike? I am thinking about a two-day hike over Besseggen and Bukkelægret (the cabins Gjendeheim - Memurubu - Gjendebu). It is a nice introductary hiking trip in the Norwegian mountains that don't require any skills or special equipment (no scrambling or climbing). I have done this trip quite a few times now with friends and colleagues. Just pure walking in awesome mountain nature. It is probably the most popular hike here in Norway. Sleeping will be done at served mountain cabins, so we will carry no food, just clothes and sleeping bags. I guess if people came to Oslo airport I could pick people up and drive us to Gjendesheim (our starting point). Baring the cost of getting to Oslo, it wouldn't be very expensive. Norway has become relativelly cheap now with the weak kroner, and I could sponsor the accomodation at the cabins, if we are not too many. Besides, except for beers at the cabins there isn't really much to spend money on up in the mountains.

Equipment wise all that is needed is good hiking boots and clothes that woould suit whatever weather would be thrown at us (which could be anything from scorching sun to hail and snow, it is impossible to say at these altitudes in the early fall). We'll walk for 6-8 hours per day, over two days. The first day crosses tha famous Besseggen mountain (made famous by passages in Henrik Ibsen's Peer Gynt) and the second day down Bukkelægret to Gjendebu. The next day we return to Gjendeheim by boat across the Gjende lake.

I can't promise anything but hopefully a memorable trip with good company in glorious nature. Hopefully something one will remember for life.

I'll post some pictures later and suggest some weekends that works for me.

Give it a thought. It could be fun to meet some of you guys in real life.

EDIT: Additional information.

The drive from Oslo Airport to Gjendesheim is about 4 hours. It would be naturally to start sleep over at Gjendesheim and star the hike the next day, giving us all day to hike to the cabin Memurubu over Besseggen. This trip goes along a mountain ridge between the the two lakes Gjende and Bessvannet. It is a very scenic hike, especially if the weather is nice. About 40.000 people do this hike every year (!). The terrain is rugged and the total elevation of this trip is about 900 meters, if I remember correctly. It starts at about 900 meters above sea level and the highest point is about 1700. This doesn't sound much, but in Norway this is alpine conditions. Memurubu is down at 900 meters again, so it is quite a lot up and down. At cosy Memurubu we'll be served warm dinner in a place steeped in mouintaneering history.

The next day we start at Memurubu and continue along ridge on the northern side of the Gjende lake to it's end where the cabin Gjendebu lies. This trip is called Bukkelægret. At the end, when coming down to the lake again, the track is quite steep, but as long as we follow the path and take our time it should be manageable for everyone. This trip is less popular than Besseggen, not because it is less scenic, but because it is further in the mountains and less accessible. At Gjendebu we will again enjoy a warm dinner and personally, a few beers to soothe my sore feet. The nex morning we take the boat from Gjendebu across the Gjende lake back to Gjendesheim where we drive back to the airport or Oslo if people want a night in the capital before returning to wherever.

Both hikes takes approximately 6-8 hours. They should be more than doable for anyone in normal shape. I took the Besseggen trip with a friend who, it turnd out, had a really bad knee. It wasn't ideal, at all, but we managed. It's is just a matter of taking the time. This is definitely a case of the the goal being the trip itself, and not the destination.

More on equipment: Besides good hiking boots (I would suggest boots that protect the ankle, so no low shoes), everyone will need a backpack to carry clothes, money, camera, etc. Sleeping bag, toiletries, etc, can be sent with the boat to the next cabin, so we don't have to haul it across mountains. It is difficult to plan for clothes, because we can experience anything from warm summer to harsh winter conditions, and the weather can change fast, especially since we will move from one altitude to another over few hours. The weather is really unpredicatble. So naturally we have to bring clothes for every condition. I can write a list of suggested clothes if necesarry. I will also carry maps, GPS, medical kit and a rope.

Gronolen%2007%20Besseggen%2001.jpg

This is a map of the route day 1 (Gjendesheim- Memurubu). Besseggen is the narrow ridge between the two lakes Gjende and Bessvannet.

kart_bukkelegret.jpg

This is the map of the route day 2 (Memurubu - Gjendebu). The most exciting part of this trip is going form the plateu above the lake down the steep path to the lake itself (Bukkelægret).

A few pictures:

8262442740_14c2dd508a_b.jpg

The view when starting on the descent from the highest point down towards the narrow point that separates the Gjende lake (left) from Bessvannet (right). Memurubu, the destination day 1, can barely be seen on the right side where lake Gjende has an inlet. Gjendebu, destination day 2, is at the far end of the lake. If weather permits, both days will allow great views into the famous mountain area of Jotunheimen, with lots of famous peaks.

beitostolen_22.jpg

Bukkelægret, close to Memurubu (at the end of the lake, barely seen in the picture. This is from the descent down from the mountain plateu above lake Gjende down to the lake itself. The most exposed parts of the path has rope to hold on to in case of wet weather. As long as one follows the path it is all entirely safe, but people shouldn't rush these parts.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

I had this vision of the entire forum on racers pushing up a hill...and me behind you all on a big wheel going 'wait up!' :lol: I'd probably come if i could ride a bike. (there's a crude pun in that somewhere!)

Edited by Len B'stard

Very tempting. I'll check out flight prices to Oslo. Going self employed isn't the best time, but if it's affordable, I'll come.

Edit: it's cheapest to fly from Manchester. I'll have to discuss it with my husband as I have a habit of spending money before I get it. Keep me informed of what's happening and I'll try to earn some dollar! Sounds like fun.

Edited by Gracii Guns

Some more random pictures from the trip:

978x.jpg

Is she there most of the time?

If not her (she is called Rachel Nordtømme, btw), then there's bound to be someone else practising the proud tradition of "naking".

On a sidenote, if you want to meet single Norwegian girls, there is nothing better than staying at mountain cabins.

Imagine the conversations that can be had, me and Soul walking up a mountain for six hours?

Throw Snakepit in the mix and you got a reality show :lol:

Blond aryan Nordic girls Soul mentioned. That sounds like Snakepit's idea of hell.

Soul, can we have this hike up Kilimanjaro instead?

• Like 1

I'm going to be in Oslo next weekend, from Friday until Monday. I'm busy on Friday, but I've got all Saturday, Sunday and much of Monday free. I was going to do the tourist stuff in the city because I don't have that much time. I was just wondering if there is any of these places with a spectacular view close to the city that are reachable quickly by public transport. I don't want to expend too much time on one thing, I was thinking maybe half day. I know there are some fjords for example near Oslo, but you would know better.