No4 by Stone Temple Pilots was a great album.

Towelie

Heaven & Hot Rods, Atlanta, Down, Sour Girl, Sex & Violence, I Got You... so many great tracks.

I've seen this album getting a fair bit of shit over the years, but I personally think it's a far more even and consistent release compared to Tiny Music.

Edited by Towelie

Got into STP last year and I have to say this is my favourite after Purple.

What are the main criticisms it gets ?

I think every album they put out after Purple gets ratted on by some folks. But I actually genuinely love all the Scott-fronted STP albums, even their last self-titled one from 2010 which got a lot of hate when it came out.

I never understood why the self-titled album got so much hate. I guess it's more classic rock inspired, as opposed to grunge, but then STP were never a fully-fledged grunge band. Between The Lines, Fast As I Can and the Bowie-pastiche First Kiss On Mars get regular plays on my iPod.

I never understood why the self-titled album got so much hate. I guess it's more classic rock inspired, as opposed to grunge, but then STP were never a fully-fledged grunge band. Between The Lines, Fast As I Can and the Bowie-pastiche First Kiss On Mars get regular plays on my iPod.

Personally, it just felt sort of limp and uninspired, especially for a comeback album. Going the classic rock direction felt like an easy choice for a band that was growing towards moodier, more atmospheric and emotional songwriting. Maybe my opinion of it was colored by the fact that I read Scott wasn't even present for most of the sessions, just recording vocals over tracks he was sent, but the self-titled just lacked a lot of character the band used to have.

• Like 1

It's a little inconsistent. There's some great retro sounding pop songs juxtaposed against some decent riff-rockers. It's a good record.

The best tunes on this album are "I Got You," Weiland's lovelorn serenade to his favorite drug: No.4 Persian dope. The other is "Glide," which has some awesome chords, even if the song is a little too similar to the superior "Still Remains."